Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cloudflare issue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Cloudflare issue

Old 10-10-2020, 22:18   #1
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them
Cloudflare issue

Hi,

I've used cloudflare for my DNS for a long time (I also use their CDN's). Over the past week I've been having issues with sites timing out, initially I thought it was just a flakey virgin period, but further digging shows packet loss to 1.1.1.1 with ping. Pinging google DNS 8.8.8.8 I see no packet loss, so I switched my DNS over to google and low and behold the internet started behaving normally with no lookup or site failures.

So, is anybody else seeing issues to cloudflares DNS servers? I'm on a static ip business account (13 IP's), I haven't yet tried the magic cycling of my main public IP to see if any of the other IP's are better (or worse).

Cheers.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2020, 11:11   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Cloudflare issue

I don't see an issue pinging from one of VM's central servers. Do you know which CMTS you are connected to?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 19:17   #3
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them

New Malden. The service has been a bit flakey since the digger famously pulled all the cables out a while back and the service was out for the best part of a week, prior to that I never had any issues, after that it never felt as stable.

This new issue has been noticible for a week.

Running simultaneous pings (I wrote an app on github called pingnoo) I see lots of drops on 1.1.1.1, but zero to Google’s servers.
Old 11-10-2020, 19:32   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Their service should prioritise DNS over responding to pings, but that said, Im getting 100% ping response here from 1.1.1.1, with an average of 15ms.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 21:03   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

me too with 13ms
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 21:21   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Ok, it seems to be a regional network fault. There are actually 5 active CMTSs in New Malden, but I can recreate the fault from all of them. I can also recreate in Croydon, Hersham, Hayes and Watford, but not from outside the London area. I'll report it to the appropriate people tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2020, 21:25   #7
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

I've seen some cloudflare 1.1.1.1 issues in Liverpool. Ping seems fine but packet-loss is 2%-5%

That said, my area has an open SNR fault so it could be that rearing its head.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:46   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Appears to be fixed now. Can you confirm?
Old 12-10-2020, 12:21   #9
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

For me it looks like it is, cheers!

Ping statistics for 1.1.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 250, Received = 250, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 24ms, Average = 10ms
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 14:34   #10
fizzyade
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Ok, it seems to be a regional network fault. There are actually 5 active CMTSs in New Malden, but I can recreate the fault from all of them. I can also recreate in Croydon, Hersham, Hayes and Watford, but not from outside the London area. I'll report it to the appropriate people tomorrow.
Thank you!

I've been struggling with this for a week before I realised what the issue was, I've just checked and it is fixed now.

Thank goodness I wasn't going mad.

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Their service should prioritise DNS over responding to pings, but that said, Im getting 100% ping response here from 1.1.1.1, with an average of 15ms.
Yeah, but I was seeing DNS lookup failures, it was making browsing the web almost impossible. I worked back from the DNS failures to ping and not the other way around, it still could have been a false positive but with both seemingly confirming a packet loss I figured there was an issue.

I'm the author of Pingnoo https://github.com/fizzyade/pingnoo so understand why ping may not be a useful metric unless you know what you're doing.

I may now add a DNS lookup module into Pingnoo to check for actual losses during lookup.
Old 14-10-2020, 16:41   #11
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Ive never heard of Pingnoo, but it does look interesting.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 19:55   #12
fizzyade
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Ive never heard of Pingnoo, but it does look interesting.
It's early in development, and my father passed away a couple of months ago so I've not been working on it as much as I would like as I've been travelling back and forward to to visit my mum.
Old 14-10-2020, 20:41   #13
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

I've been getting issues up in the Newcastle area the past week or so, only seems to be an issue during peak hours though so could be congestion although i'm on a new build estate...

CMTS is Jarr14

Last edited by Synthetic; 14-10-2020 at 20:47.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote