Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PC taking an age to load

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

PC taking an age to load

Old 19-03-2018, 17:32   #1
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
PC taking an age to load

Newish laptop from Novatech, running Win 10. Christmas present for the missus. Not sure what if anything she has done. It was running fine until this morning when it just wouldn't boot up correctly.

After logging on it was very slow to load desktop and took even longer to load taskbar icons.

None of the icons would work, tried a reboot to no avail. Even had to hold down the Start button to get it to switch off.

Tried to run Task Manager but that also took several minutes to load, eventually got it to run and noticed that 'System Interrupts' was using 79% of CPU.
It settled down to 1% after about 20 seconds.

Switched off with the start button again as normal Start/Shut down not working. This time it rebooted almost as quick as it usually does and now seems to be working fine.

I have saved a file from the Event Viewer of the error logs as an .evtx file but it is about 1 meg in size.

Is there anyone out there who might be able to shine a light on why this happened as the PC seems to be running normally ATM.

PS. I have already contacted Novatech and am awaiting their reply.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-03-2018, 19:56   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: PC taking an age to load

Windows updates cause havoc for some people. They download in the background affecting your browsing, then decide to start installing, again the in the background, making the PC crawl. First thing to do is find out what you have loading at startup. Oh, and check that you don't have more than 1 firewall and antivirus running, they can clash significantly.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 20:00   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

What have you installed?

What swebsites have you been on?

I'd turn it on and if possible plug into a router/modem via a cable.

Leave it to boot up and do what it's doing, then run any anti-virus/malware software.
Old 19-03-2018, 20:22   #4
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Already checked start up, very few programs actually in there TBH.

She is not very tech savvy and has already downloaded something called Zipcruncher because a web site she was on advised her to do so. Also AVG Avast free anti virus has somehow been downloaded and installed. She is adamant that she didn’t do that but no one else has touched her PC recently. Anyone who has been married for as long as I have knows better than to contradict her.

I had already removed Zipcruncer and after it booted correctly the last time I uninstalled AVG Avast as well.

The PC has had Malwarebytes Premium 3 installed since day one without any problems.

Windows Defender is the only other protection installed ATM.
Old 19-03-2018, 22:15   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
Already checked start up, very few programs actually in there TBH.

She is not very tech savvy and has already downloaded something called Zipcruncher because a web site she was on advised her to do so. Also AVG Avast free anti virus has somehow been downloaded and installed. She is adamant that she didn’t do that but no one else has touched her PC recently. Anyone who has been married for as long as I have knows better than to contradict her.

I had already removed Zipcruncer and after it booted correctly the last time I uninstalled AVG Avast as well.

The PC has had Malwarebytes Premium 3 installed since day one without any problems.

Windows Defender is the only other protection installed ATM.
How exactly did you uninstall it?

Was it by just uninstalling it or did you use the AVG Avast removal tool.

If the later try downloading the removal tool otherwise you can get issues (I learnt the har way.)
Old 19-03-2018, 23:30   #6
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

The strange thing is that she must have installed AVG Avast a couple of weeks ago and the PC only failed this morning.

I did uninstall it using the uninstall option in the GUI, not via add/remove programs.

Will see how things pan out and use that removal tool if needed.
Old 20-03-2018, 09:48   #7
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

I have had problems with AVG causing problems with Windows 10updates. I recommend you use their remover program, run it even if it says there is no Avg installed.

AVAST AV is much better although you seem to have mixed up the two as you called it AVG Avast in the above post, they are different
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 09:56   #8
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Doh, my mistake, it Avast AV free that had somehow been mysteriously installed.
Old 20-03-2018, 10:36   #9
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I've also suffered the "glacial machine" effect on a couple of occasions and this is on a PC (XP SP2) that has no Windows updates and any other updates are "ask me"

The slowness seems to kick in just before the welcome message comes in and desktop GUI loads up so that may be the responsible program.

I suspect that one of the Windows modules (Explorer?) fails to load properly and ends up hogging the machine resources. The only solution seems to be a re-boot when you can finally get the machine to respond. Even then it takes an eternity to shut down un-responsive processes.

I suspect explorer as some of the desktop modules on the task bar (Such as Nvidia desktop) never load.
Old 20-03-2018, 19:53   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Download the avast removal tool and run that.

Avast killed my internet connection, and nothing would solve it, other than removal of Avast.
Old 20-03-2018, 21:34   #11
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Running fine ATM, will see how it goes for now. Will try that if I get any more problems.

Thanks to all who responded.

Jim.