Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC iplayer problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

BBC iplayer problem

Old 27-11-2014, 08:28   #76
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: BBC iplayer problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Interesting, so presumably down to a few too many TiVo users connected to individual cabinets, rather than across a UBR as a whole (probably got the terminology wrong!)
It's actually at the CMTS interface card level. (I don't call them UBRs any more, as that's Cisco's proprietary name, and we now also use Arris and Motorola ones)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-11-2014, 11:36   #77
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

If areas are over-congested wouldn't it be sensible to put a hold on signing new victims up ? It would have been better to upgrade the network first before expanding. Maybe not profitable in the short term but in the long term it would pay off.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 22:27   #78
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

iPlayer still buffers on the pile of junk that is Tivo. Customers with complaints are still being directed to a survey that has been ongoing for over 5 months in an effort to keep them quiet.

I try to avoid using iPlayer on Tivo these days. I had set Tivo to record the programme I wanted on Saturday night but the snooker overran so that was my recording stuffed. Even freeview recorders are able to pick up delayed programmes starting and finishing, but cruddy Tivo can't. Never mind I thought I'll give iPlayer on Tivo a go - silly me !
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 22:33   #79
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

The survey Feels like a stalling measure rather than to discover a solution. If the tivo cdns can't handle the load let us ethernet our hubs to use that connection
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 23:11   #80
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
iPlayer still buffers on the pile of junk that is Tivo. Customers with complaints are still being directed to a survey that has been ongoing for over 5 months in an effort to keep them quiet.

I try to avoid using iPlayer on Tivo these days. I had set Tivo to record the programme I wanted on Saturday night but the snooker overran so that was my recording stuffed. Even freeview recorders are able to pick up delayed programmes starting and finishing, but cruddy Tivo can't. Never mind I thought I'll give iPlayer on Tivo a go - silly me !
If it's the last episode of Intruders, it's repeated on Thursday 00:20 if I remember correctly. Set a standalone recording on your TiVo to catch it.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:19   #81
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I had set Tivo to record the programme I wanted on Saturday night but the snooker overran so that was my recording stuffed. Even freeview recorders are able to pick up delayed programmes starting and finishing, but cruddy Tivo can't.
This happened to me, too. The TiVo is supposed to have this amazing ability to record an alternate showing of any programme it's unable to record first time around but in this instance the TiVo believed that it had recorded the final episode of Intruders. If I hadn't noticed this before the repeat went out or while it was still available on iPlayer I would have missed the final episode of a series I had been following and enjoying.

This is a serious shortcoming that should be addressed in the next software update IMO.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:42   #82
warrenb
cf.addict

Services: VIP50 + 2 Virgin Mobiles + Mobile Broadband
warrenb is an unknown quantity at this point

Just downloaded the IPlayer App for Xbox One and it is superb, really fast with no issues at all. Takes a 5 seconds to load.
warrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:53   #83
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
Just downloaded the IPlayer App for Xbox One and it is superb, really fast with no issues at all. Takes a 5 seconds to load.
This doesn't address the problem, Warrenb.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:44   #84
warrenb
cf.addict

Services: VIP50 + 2 Virgin Mobiles + Mobile Broadband
warrenb is an unknown quantity at this point

No but it shows that it is an issue with the Tivo rather than a network issue, unless it is to do with the dedicated 10mb connection of the Tivo.
warrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:56   #85
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
No but it shows that it is an issue with the Tivo rather than a network issue, unless it is to do with the dedicated 10mb connection of the Tivo.
The problem is the TiVo's inability to recognise that it hasn't recorded a programme due to an unanticipated schedule change and to record an alternative in its place. I think that only a dynamic EPG would solve that problem.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:44   #86
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Not really , doesn't your home BB operate on DOCSIS 3 as opposed to the TIVO modem which uses DOCSIS 1 ?

Didn't spider say the buffering is being caused by congestion in some areas on DOCSIS 1.

Could be wrong I'm sure he'll explain.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 14:27   #87
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Didn't spider say the buffering is being caused by congestion in some areas on DOCSIS 1.
I did.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 13:11   #88
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I expect there have been many upgrades in the LU postcode area. The problems are very localised. Each one only affects a few streets.
It does seem Virgin are really taking their time fixing our area, sadly. The app does seem a lot better at dealing with congestion when it happens, and maybe the new HTML5 app will improve things.

But in terms of how long it's taking VM to fix the underlying issue - I am beginning to wonder whether my area is not as straightforward as some others.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 13:41   #89
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Wonder if things will improve once the html5 app gets released?
Old 22-12-2014, 08:45   #90
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Wonder if things will improve once the html5 app gets released?
I can see it improving things "at the edges" if perhaps a different codec or bitrate is used.. but time'll tell with these things!
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote