Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless-n series router wnhdeb111

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Getting Virgin Cable in Haringey (Muswell Hill area)

Old 12-05-2009, 20:15   #1
surfingmonk
Inactive

surfingmonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Getting Virgin Cable in Haringey (Muswell Hill area)

Hey guys,

I just moved to a new house in Muswell Hill (N10), and unfortunately since the previous tennant had Virgin Cable, BT wants to charge me 125 quid to "reconnect" me which I'm not about to do.

Anyways, I'm going to get the 20mb service and I was wondering how this area was regarding speeds and if it was oversubscribed. I've been doing quite a lot of research and I've found some pretty bad reviews of Virgin but unfortunately I don't have much choice. I'm not a heavy downloader at all so not too fussed about STM plus we'll be using the computers mostly after 9 anyways, but we are 3 guys in the house (so 3 computers), so usage will be intensive needing a good connection (depending whether we are all 3 there at the same time).

Thanks for the tips!! And please don't scare me too much haha... :P

Matt
surfingmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2009, 21:43   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Getting Virgin Cable in Haringey (Muswell Hill area)

There is the traffic management policy http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...t/traffic.html

But if the are 3 of you why not try 50Mb if available as you get a free N router and one N USB adaptor thrown in plus no traffic management..http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...tech_info.html
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 21:48   #3
surfingmonk
Inactive

Thanks Moldova, much appreciated.

Like I said I don't think we'll hit the limit as none of us is a downloader, although its true that with three computers there is more information being accessed. What I was asking was how was the general speed of VM in my area (ergo, if I'd get close to the 20mb or get 4mb for example).

50mb looks good but the problem is that one of us has an older Macbook with 802.11g and I read that when N has to share between G and N connections in the same network its slower than a pure G connection. If thats not the case then 50mb sounds really nice!
Old 12-05-2009, 21:50   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingmonk View Post
Thanks Moldova, much appreciated.

Like I said I don't think we'll hit the limit as none of us is a downloader, although its true that with three computers there is more information being accessed. What I was asking was how was the general speed of VM in my area (ergo, if I'd get close to the 20mb or get 4mb for example).

50mb looks good but the problem is that one of us has an older Macbook with 802.11g and I read that when N has to share between G and N connections in the same network its slower than a pure G connection. If thats not the case then 50mb sounds really nice!
I would ask the wireless network question here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87/ as that where the wireless guru's hang
Old 12-05-2009, 21:58   #5
surfingmonk
Inactive

Thanks for the quick reply, will do!

One more question, what about if we get 20mb now and we upgrade later to 50mb (when my flatmate decides to upgrade his old Mac heh), would we still get the free router/adaptor + cheap install?
Old 12-05-2009, 21:59   #6
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingmonk View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, will do!

One more question, what about if we get 20mb now and we upgrade later to 50mb (when my flatmate decides to upgrade his old Mac heh), would we still get the free router/adaptor + cheap install?
That is part of the 50Mb package plus £50 installation charge.
Old 12-05-2009, 22:04   #7
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

If you order online you get a discount to help wth the install fee plus STM is going to be introduced to 50Mb.

The older macbook will work fine but you will just get a slower speed max 24Mb.

The upload on the 50Mb wll be better for you if you have 3 PC Running. do any of you game at all if so then 50Mb is for you due to the upload.
Old 12-05-2009, 22:06   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
If you order online you get a discount to help wth the install fee plus STM is going to be introduced to 50Mb.

The older macbook will work fine but you will just get a slower speed max 24Mb.

The upload on the 50Mb wll be better for you if you have 3 PC Running. do any of you game at all if so then 50Mb is for you due to the upload.
Where is the 50Mb STM info?
Old 12-05-2009, 22:20   #9
surfingmonk
Inactive

Thanks broadbandking. My flatmates don't, I play online games everynow and then but surely 768k upload should be enough for that?
Old 12-05-2009, 22:20   #10
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
Where is the 50Mb STM info?
Neil Berkett said himself that its going to be introduced did'nt he?
Old 12-05-2009, 22:23   #11
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
Neil Berkett said himself that its going to be introduced did'nt he?
I thought the had been an announcement I had missed.
Old 12-05-2009, 23:41   #12
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Cocky come on it's a good money saving scheme for Virgin
Old 13-05-2009, 08:16   #13
lsproc
Inactive

lsproc has a spectacular aura about themlsproc has a spectacular aura about themlsproc has a spectacular aura about themlsproc has a spectacular aura about them

Thats REALLY going to go down well with the 50mb customers
lsproc is offline   Reply With Quote