Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Aston Villa

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Aston Villa

Old 09-01-2004, 12:56   #1
Nugget
Inactive

Services: Will provide gags for cash
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Aston Villa

I read in the news that Doug Ellis finally wants to put some money into the club. I reckon that we need to strengthen the team - does anybody else think that we've got any chance of encouraging top players to the club? If O'Leary tries to get Viduka, would he cut the mustard or would it better to get somebody like Crouch again and try to build him up?
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2004, 13:03   #2
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Re: Aston Villa

I thought it was only Man Utd who had fans not from their city.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 13:04   #3
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
have you seen how Grimsby Town have been doing recently......
Old 09-01-2004, 13:19   #4
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
I read in the news that Doug Ellis finally wants to put some money into the club. I reckon that we need to strengthen the team - does anybody else think that we've got any chance of encouraging top players to the club? If O'Leary tries to get Viduka, would he cut the mustard or would it better to get somebody like Crouch again and try to build him up?
I'd like to see an end to the 'cheque book' approach to football, more money should, imo, be put into youth schemes to develop more 'home grown' talent, rather than buying in overpaid players from overseas. I think Cricket has the right idea only allowing two overseas players per team.
Old 09-01-2004, 13:26   #5
dodgyboy
Inactive

dodgyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Viduka would be a good player for AV, and I think given a few years and european qualification you could attract the big names. O'leary seems to be doing a pretty good job, but if Doug is going to spend some money (and thats a big if) then I hope O'leary doesnt "do a leeds"
dodgyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 13:29   #6
dodgyboy
Inactive

dodgyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
I think Cricket has the right idea only allowing two overseas players per team.
I think UEFA were looking at bringing a non EU player limit back in (but I guess that would only cover european games)
Homegrown is the way to go, and that could only benefit the home nations national sides aswell.
You never know given another 50 years England might be able to find a left footer
dodgyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 13:45   #7
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyboy
I think UEFA were looking at bringing a non EU player limit back in (but I guess that would only cover european games)
Homegrown is the way to go, and that could only benefit the home nations national sides aswell.
You never know given another 50 years England might be able to find a left footer
LOL

- the other thing that annoys me is where smaller clubs have really good youth schemes and 'bring on' a good player, they are often left with little choice but to sell them, so the local talent doesn't end up benefiting the local team. You can't blame the players, as the gap between earnings in the Premier & the rest of the League is so great.
Old 09-01-2004, 14:09   #8
Nugget
Inactive

Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
Don't worry - I'm not anything like any of the United fans

I'm originally from Birmingham and, like any true fan, kept the team that I started with (let's face it, homealone's got a good point!)
Old 09-01-2004, 14:13   #9
homealone

Quote:

I'm originally from Birmingham and, like any true fan, kept the team that I started with (let's face it, homealone's got a good point!)
He had to say that - he's sat right next to me - not a lot of work going on in our office this afternoon
Old 09-01-2004, 14:15   #10
Nugget
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
He had to say that - he's sat right next to me - not a lot of work going on in our office this afternoon
Mind you, there's never a lot of work happening in our office - if I'm not talking about the Villa, we're both outside smoking. Hard life, really!

Anyway, back to the footie - if we couldn't get someone like Viduka, I'd like to see an established player coming to the team. If Angel does leave (really hope not), we need to find someone who'll get us 15-20 goals per season and I can't think of anybody like that who's available.

Then again, I think that our reserve team are top of the league at the minute, so why can't we get some of the players from there and give them a chance to show it the top level?
Old 09-01-2004, 14:45   #11
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Utd are my local team

Quote:
Oh well...
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 14:50   #12
Nugget
Inactive

[QUOTE=Mal]Utd are my local team

Sorry Mal!! Didn't notice that you're from Salford - I meant all of the Utd fans who don't live in Manchester!!
Old 10-01-2004, 19:01   #13
Atomic22
Inactive

Services: Very High Monthly Bills!
Atomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really niceAtomic22 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to Atomic22 Send a message via AIM to Atomic22 Send a message via MSN to Atomic22 Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic22

Quote:
Sorry Mal!! Didn't notice that you're from Salford - I meant all of the Utd fans who don't live in Manchester!!
oh no not this old one again...........
at least give us constructive criticism instead of coming up with this same old crap......hehehe
i mean we have beaten "da viller" twice in the last few weeks and you havent mentioned that both refs were united fans , we paid them ,ruud was offside ,all they sell to eat at trafford is prawn sandwiches etc etc etc
Atomic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 19:07   #14
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic22
at least give us constructive criticism instead of coming up with this same old crap......hehehe
i mean we have beaten "da viller" twice in the last few weeks and you havent mentioned that both refs were united fans , we paid them ,ruud was offside ,all they sell to eat at trafford is prawn sandwiches etc etc etc

too right,dont mess with man utd,especially there supporters
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2004, 15:48   #15
Nugget
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic22
i mean we have beaten "da viller" twice in the last few weeks
Sorry to ALL of the Man U fans (I'm only jealous - Man U regularly play us off the park. Do you think that you could just let Villa win once )