Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Weird TV annoyance

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can we now use the TV anywhere app in the EU?

Old 01-04-2018, 23:37   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Can we now use the TV anywhere app in the EU?

From today, Sky customers can watch their version of this service whilst temporarily in Europe. I believe that this is also true of BT TV.

Apparently, this is a result of an EU rule.

Does anyone know if VM has implemented this?

Edit: The word 'app was omitted from the title, but I am unable to edit it for some reason.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 01-04-2018 at 23:39. Reason: Thread title.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2018, 23:39   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Can we now use the TV anywhere in the EU?

Ask VM.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 00:20   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

That would be the right thing to do with normal organisations, but these days ringing VM is a waste of time.

Their foreign call centre workers ask you what information you need, you tell them, then they ask you to repeat it.

If you can then hear or understand what they say next, it's usually a response totally unrelated to what you've asked about or complete nonsense!

E.g. I rang about a broadband outage the other week as I couldn't use my V6 for VOD. The idiot immediately put me through to TV. They explained that VOD won't work without the broadband, so that I would need to speak to them!!

I asked to be put back through to them, only to be told by idiot number 2 that she couldn't as they closed at 8pm. I said I'd just been speaking to then, she was still reading through her robotic script and saying that they were closed as I put the phone down and rang them back myself.

These people are now actually sending out deadlock letters too (from Virgin Mobile). It looks like it was written by a small child, so I'll be sending it to the CEO for his comments after the bank holiday.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:06   #4
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

If you actually used the Virgin TV Go app you would have seen the update message which said "Implementation of the new EU Digital Single Market regulations so that you can watch your TV Go live channels and On Demand programmes in any EU member state."
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
From today, Sky customers can watch their version of this service whilst temporarily in Europe. I believe that this is also true of BT TV.

Apparently, this is a result of an EU rule.

Does anyone know if VM has implemented this?

Edit: The word 'app was omitted from the title, but I am unable to edit it for some reason.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 17:10   #5
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
If you actually used the Virgin TV Go app you would have seen the update message which said "Implementation of the new EU Digital Single Market regulations so that you can watch your TV Go live channels and On Demand programmes in any EU member state."
Yes i saw that yesterday when i logged in to watch discovery

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 17:42   #6
Mr Banana

Quote:
That would be the right thing to do with normal organisations, but these days ringing VM is a waste of time.

Their foreign call centre workers ask you what information you need, you tell them, then they ask you to repeat it.

If you can then hear or understand what they say next, it's usually a response totally unrelated to what you've asked about or complete nonsense!

E.g. I rang about a broadband outage the other week as I couldn't use my V6 for VOD. The idiot immediately put me through to TV. They explained that VOD won't work without the broadband, so that I would need to speak to them!!

I asked to be put back through to them, only to be told by idiot number 2 that she couldn't as they closed at 8pm. I said I'd just been speaking to then, she was still reading through her robotic script and saying that they were closed as I put the phone down and rang them back myself.

These people are now actually sending out deadlock letters too (from Virgin Mobile). It looks like it was written by a small child, so I'll be sending it to the CEO for his comments after the bank holiday.
Maybe the idiots as you like to call them, looked at your account and thought, oh look its that patronising ignorant fool from the UK, lets pass him from pillar to post for a laugh.
Old 02-04-2018, 18:39   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Thanks- it's not something that I have actually used since finding it to be incompatible with Android, but I believe that this has now changed.

I wonder if this service will be withdrawn when we leave the EU?

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Banana View Post
Maybe the idiots as you like to call them, looked at your account and thought, oh look its that patronising ignorant fool from the UK, lets pass him from pillar to post for a laugh.
If the investigation finds that they are treating some customers less favourably than others, appropriate action will be taken.

I suspect, however, that this is an example of the normal inferior service that they provide. It appears that anything more is beyond their capabilities for much of the time.
Old 02-04-2018, 18:48   #8
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Thanks- it's not something that I have actually used since finding it to be incompatible with Android, but I believe that this has now changed.

I wonder if this service will be withdrawn when we leave the EU?

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

If the investigation finds that they are treating some customers less favourably than others, appropriate action will be taken.

I suspect, however, that this is an example of the normal inferior service that they provide. It appears that anything more is beyond their capabilities for much of the time.
If the service is so inferior then there must be a reference to a similar service otherwise how can you judge?
If there is a similar service which is better why are you still using the inferior one???
The choice is yours.
Old 02-04-2018, 19:51   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I tried to watch a program on my V6 TiVo via my Tablet while at my sister and was told buy the app it couldn't do that.
Old 02-04-2018, 20:25   #10
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I tried to watch a program on my V6 TiVo via my Tablet while at my sister and was told buy the app it couldn't do that.
If you mean watch a recording from My Shows on your V6 via the Virgin TV Control app then that is correct as recordings can only be watched while the app is on the same local network as the V6.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 21:14   #11
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
If you mean watch a recording from My Shows on your V6 via the Virgin TV Control app then that is correct as recordings can only be watched while the app is on the same local network as the V6.
It was a show that I had recorded
Old 02-04-2018, 21:45   #12
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
If the service is so inferior then there must be a reference to a similar service otherwise how can you judge?
If there is a similar service which is better why are you still using the inferior one???
The choice is yours.
A reasonable question to ask.

The comparison is to other service providers.

The sole reason that I stay is because I was offered a very good deal to do so, including discounts, extras like virtually free Sky Cinema, 24/7 free telephone calls etc. In return I agreed to be bound by a further contract.

Nevertheless, I still expect good customer service and would otherwise leave because of this.
Old 02-04-2018, 21:48   #13
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Being that the recording is stored locally on your V6's hard drive that's not a surprise.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 22:20   #14
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
A reasonable question to ask.

The comparison is to other service providers.

The sole reason that I stay is because I was offered a very good deal to do so, including discounts, extras like virtually free Sky Cinema, 24/7 free telephone calls etc. In return I agreed to be bound by a further contract.

Nevertheless, I still expect good customer service and would otherwise leave because of this.
Then I sure they'll be sorry to see you go when your present contract ends.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:33   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Then I sure they'll be sorry to see you go when your present contract ends.
I'll keep the situation under review and decide at the time; it very much depends on whether what they offer me is enough to compensate for having to deal with these idiots abroad.

I wonder if many people will make much use of this new facility. I suppose those away on business might, but I can't imagine many people going on holiday to watch TV!