Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | british grand prix axed for 2005

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

british grand prix axed for 2005

Old 30-09-2004, 17:59   #1
andy 1

british grand prix axed for 2005

its a disaster for british f1 fans.bernie ecclestone should hang his head in shame

andy
Advertisement
Old 30-09-2004, 18:20   #2
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Re: british grand prix axed for 2005

More info ...
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2004, 18:23   #3
homealone

Thats me no longer a F1 fan
Old 30-09-2004, 18:23   #4
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

i am saddened but not really surprised , the rot set in when middle and far east countries started hosting more races , i am not saying they are bad races , far from it , its that they are more lucrative from a sponsorship point of view
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2004, 18:25   #5
andy 1

i suppose we'll just have to wait for this A1 grand prix racing thats all.
Old 30-09-2004, 18:36   #6
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy 1
i suppose we'll just have to wait for this A1 grand prix racing thats all.

it will be ok if you have sky sports iirc it is only going to be shown there

i will be ok though
Old 30-09-2004, 19:51   #7
gary_580

At the end of the day all the other established circuits pay the same amount and they make a profit. Why cant Silverstone? Its not as if Bernie hasnt helped. He contributed a large sum to the road changes
Old 30-09-2004, 19:54   #8
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness

no great loss, F1 seems intent on self destruction, its just another nail in its coffin.
Old 30-09-2004, 20:34   #9
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarrior2001
no great loss, F1 seems intent on self destruction, its just another nail in its coffin.

its a shame but i am going to agree with you , it will be interesting to see what this years rule changes bring
Old 01-10-2004, 08:43   #10
basa
Inactive

basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal
basa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appealbasa has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyoung666
its a shame but i am going to agree with you , it will be interesting to see what this years rule changes bring
Agreed also. Hopefully the new rules will revitalise the high speed queue that is F1 currently ! One thing is clear, that all the new rules in the world won't get Silverstone back on the F1 calendar !

It is scandalous that the home and founding country of F1 can't provide a decent state of the art race track. We can do it for football, olympics, tennis, golf etc, etc, why not F1. It is a major spectator sport. I dunno if I'm right but I heard that as many people watch a Grand Prix as watch Premiership football on a race weekend. (Well maybe not now as it seems to be no more than a high speed procession ).
basa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 09:48   #11
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I'm not surprised at this. For so long now it's been known that the Silverstone event was in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basa
It is scandalous that the home and founding country of F1 can't provide a decent state of the art race track. We can do it for football, olympics, tennis, golf etc, etc, why not F1. It is a major spectator sport. I dunno if I'm right but I heard that as many people watch a Grand Prix as watch Premiership football on a race weekend. (Well maybe not now as it seems to be no more than a high speed procession ).
We may be able to get funding for improvements, but the majority of that funding comes from within the individual sports and the sponsorship it attracts. That works well for events that run over a period of time, or for which the facility can be used regularly over the year. Silverstone has one or two major events in a year and a few minor ones. It's never going to be able to reinvest at that rate, whilst the cost of the F1 race, excluding the sum paid to the F1 owners must be huge with policing, stewards, marshalls and so on. I can see how, despite vast ticket costs, the money just disappears.

Anyway, F1 these days is just a procession. Touring cars and the like are far more interesting, either to see in person, or to watch on TV. F1 has to level the playing field between teams and add some unpredictablitly if anyone is going to remain interested in it. It may currently employ a lot of people in the UK, but the continual money needed and requests for bail outs from the government surely is lower priority than spending wisely on the NHS, law and order, etc.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 09:56   #12
gary_580

I dont really understand why Rockingham wasnt developed to a standard to be able to take a grand prix. Its a new circuit and im sure it wouldnt have cost much more to improve the pit facilities. However it is a dog to get too.

But then again Indianapolis did the same, spent a bit of money, have a good seating capacity and that place is not that easy to get too either.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:05   #13
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis

Silverstone is Old and in need of a great deal of investment. In comparison to the newer circuits around, I'm not suprised that it's going to be dropped.

It's been on the cards for a while ...
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 10:16   #14
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
It's been on the cards for a while ...
Stop reading those cards or you will be refered to as Gypsy Nem
Old 01-10-2004, 10:59   #15
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

i'm not 100% convinced this is the end of the British GP just Bernie's way of forcing Silverstone and the BRDC into action.

if you look at it the only income Silverstone get from a GP is from ticket sales and merchandise and the rest goes to paying Bernie for the race. We pay 9 million but some races in Europe and other areas pay more.

if you look at the circuit it is a classic with lots of fast sweeping corners rather than just 3rd and 4th gear turns which is all Herman Tilke seems able to design.

Spa, Brasil, Imola have worse facilities and maybe even Monza as well.

Of the new cuircuits they are GPs of nowhere that circuit could have been built by anyone on any bit of land
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote