Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Major connection issues! 6/6/06

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

[Merged] Major connection issues! 6/6/06

Old 07-06-2006, 08:44   #496
Begize
Inactive

Services: XL TV (TiVo 1TB & V HD), XL Broadband (Superhub 2 in modem mode), L Telephone
Begize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the rough
Re: Major connection issues! 6/6/06

We can all speculate as much as we like until the next time this happens about whether or not this is an attack or just another failure. As NTL are saying nothing about the previous weeks problems and only that this last one was a DNS issue, we're wasting our time because they are the only ones who know and they ain't telling.

I, as I suspect a lot of people on these forums also do, work in IT and have done for well over 15 years, most spent supporting large multi user systems. If a system I was responsible for failed just once like this there would be a full investigation and the customers would demand to know what the fault was and what we had done to fix it. If it was to do the same thing again days later, never mind three times, we would be talking breach of SLA's and financial penalties.

NTL need to remember that we are their customers, that we pay their wages and we deserve an apology, an explanation and details of how they are going to stop it happening again.

They need to show us some respect.
Begize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2006, 08:48   #497
marcus
Inactive

marcus is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably find they have got 5550 chair huggers and rest are engineers.. or least 10 engineers and the rest are still learning about the equipment they been using for the past 10 yrs or so
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:32   #498
gulf4uk
Annette stevenson

Services: Broadband 200mg digital tv .XL Tv package : Phone . win 10 win XP (Favourite)
gulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about themgulf4uk has a spectacular aura about them

HI

The NTL Enginneers all do there best despite working in the dark most of the time of the many that have called here all have been efficient and done
what they could . all seemed Fed up with things that get no better .
i take my hat off to them for keeping going what to you and me seems
a very poor setup. Custumer services is another matter there totally
out of control No Mannners in the main there are a few real nice people
who do there best but there Rare most havnt a clue .
seems to be lack of management skills somwhere the customer is
always Right needs to be enforced and an end to bully boy tactics
when payments dont reach them or you want to cancel . Help is reqd

Tony
gulf4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:23   #499
squirrel1970
Inactive

squirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of light

yeah, the first *attack* was a dDos attack... which in turn brought the DNS thingy down causing us to use this forum on an unprecedented level, totalling now 3 ocassions within the last 4 months.
Questions should be asked as to how this was ever allowed to happen more than once anyway - not just here amongst ourselves, but at least at top end management (or whatever they call it!)
Weighing up the evidence tho... each time, it's been the same sites affected. Google, Yahoo, Flickr, BBC... to name but a few...

We can only hope there's going to be an explanation into all this, and hope is all we're probably going to get!

I can understand some websites going to poo sometimes.. but when clusters of sites go to poo and we're all experiencing the same problem, then it's something bigger than your average size poo.
squirrel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:33   #500
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Asked ntl this morning about last nights and recent ntl DNS issues... ntl has got back to me with the following response:-

ntl state:

"We are aware of recent DNS interruptions and we would like to apologise to ntl customers affected. The ntl Telewest internet team is currently making network changes to make improvements."
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 13:11   #501
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

that's a very ambiguous statement - is it that they were working on the network to improve it and it caused problems? or is the 'improvements' they refer to work they're now doing to stop the DNS fault happen again?
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 15:01   #502
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
that's a very ambiguous statement - is it that they were working on the network to improve it and it caused problems? or is the 'improvements' they refer to work they're now doing to stop the DNS fault happen again?
I had the same thought. At first when I read it I thought they meant that they were working on the network and thats what caused the problem but then after reading it again I thought that they meant they are now working on the network to stop it from happening again.

Can any1 interpret this any better ?
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 15:54   #503
codebreaker
Inactive

codebreaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Major connection issues! 6/6/06

Guys , there is a temporary solution for the issue
http://ben.cheetham.me.uk/resources/net/ntl-proxy-list
Get on to the following website and set a proxy on your browser
To set a proxy , open internet explorer > Tools > Internet options > Connections > LAN settings > Clikc on Use a proxy server address for my LAN , put down the address and specify port no as 8080 .
Try out the proxies for Cosham , Swansea , Guilford etc .

cheers,
Sean
codebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 16:25   #504
smashie
Inactive

smashie is on a distinguished roadsmashie is on a distinguished road

still having issues here in great yarmouth, tried the old flushdns routine ended up having to switch proxy again, same old bull no ebay or nforce etc.. grrrrrrrr!
smashie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 16:49   #505
Helix
cf.addict

Services: Full House Bundle with Tivo V6
Helix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really niceHelix is just really nice

Mine seems to be working OK now, but I am constantly having the problem of a Not Found message unless I put the www. in before the address.
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 17:08   #506
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

All I can say is thank God I have a second ADSL line. Had next to no issues with it the whole 3 years ive had it. Spoke to someone at NTL today who seems to think thier services are amongst the 'most reliable'. Pfft whatever next!?
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 18:30   #507
Retrovertigo
Inactive

Retrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones
All I can say is thank God I have a second ADSL line. Had next to no issues with it the whole 3 years ive had it. Spoke to someone at NTL today who seems to think thier services are amongst the 'most reliable'. Pfft whatever next!?
I think this, more than anything else is what winds me up about NTL. On the various forums I visit, you can guarantee that at some point, someone will be asking if anyone on NTL is having connection problems. You never see it about any ADSL providers. Yet there are so many times I can't visit websites, sign into messenger, email not working etc etc.
Retrovertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 18:37   #508
dunkyb
Inactive

dunkyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to dunkyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by codebreaker
Guys , there is a temporary solution for the issue
http://ben.cheetham.me.uk/resources/net/ntl-proxy-list
Get on to the following website and set a proxy on your browser
To set a proxy , open internet explorer > Tools > Internet options > Connections > LAN settings > Clikc on Use a proxy server address for my LAN , put down the address and specify port no as 8080 .
Try out the proxies for Cosham , Swansea , Guilford etc .

cheers,
Sean
Unfortunately this really isn't a 100% solution, although in some cases may help ... I tried it last night, and I still could not browse to a majority of sites unreliably.

I think the reason being, NTL's caches still use their own DNS servers, so if they haven't cached the DNS, browsing through a proxy you're still stuck!.....
dunkyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 23:50   #509
THMPMRT
Inactive

THMPMRT is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Major connection issues! 6/6/06

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashie
still having issues here in great yarmouth, tried the old flushdns routine ended up having to switch proxy again, same old bull no ebay or nforce etc.. grrrrrrrr!
Same here in Gt Yarmouth, It`s back to normal now but for how long???
THMPMRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 00:14   #510
MagicMan
Inactive

MagicMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, it wasnt a DNS issue but my whole connection dropped at around 20:40 and was offline up until around 21:38 tonight

Modem went crazy trying to sync and the event log showed random messages that I've not seen before

Is this upgrade related or was it simply a blip in the area? I'm in the M38 area of Manchester.
MagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote