Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Major connection issues! 6/6/06

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Major connection issues! 6/6/06

Old 07-06-2006, 00:38   #481
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Major connection issues! 6/6/06

Slow, slow, quick, quick, slow.....
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2006, 01:06   #482
Martyn
Inactive

Services: Sky TV 2TB HD - Fiber Pro
Martyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannyc
Looks like the screen you might get when you have to sign up when you first get NTL, although it's been 5 years since we did all that sign on stuff.
I no i had had it earlier, because i think i was upgraded ( net that is )

n then other sites work. but ntl.com just says that lol
Martyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:47   #483
lauzjp
Inactive

Services: 5mb 3 mobile broadband, sky, freeview
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to lauzjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Punk
I'm in Belfast and can't get any large sites (Google, eBay, Feedburner). It's complete **** that they do this pretty much every week for a couple of days. Who says we all write to Watchdog?

EDIT: I'd do it right now, except I can't get to the BBC site *rolls eyes*
lauzjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:04   #484
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: [Merged]-Major connection issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansea-Jack
Someone on another forum said try this software http://ntcanuck.com/

Installed it and seems to work fine now.
well it would do as that seems to be a tool for adding urls DNS No. into your hosts file so now your machine doesnt need to look to NTL's DNS server anymore as your machine is being checked for the url first, just like the old days.
http://www.felgall.com/netint6.htm

i was wondering if someone would post the simple info about useing a local hosts file, thats also a good way to block popups, adds,etc by just replacing the valid DNS no. with your (localhost) 127.0.0.1 against the www.whatever.com name

---------- Post added at 02:54 ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas
It's extended to the Poser 6 efrontier site(formerly Curious Labs)So I'm p*ssed.I can't get anything done with Poser 6 or Shade 7 until I get certain updates.I can't get to the BBC either which means I'm stuffed for anything to do..And I don't want to spend all night here much as I love everyone and as much as I'm thinking of giving Druchii a run for top poster, I really want to be doing summat else.
well you could post the sites you need to get to and someone with working dns might give you the numeric url to use instead of the www.whatever then you dont need to go through the dns lookup.

---------- Post added at 02:57 ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencreeper
Funny how this site is always available I can see the headlines - "CF in DOS attack on NTL"... "Secret plans uncovered to take control of data centre"...
is CF hosted on NTL servers, iv never bothered to check?

---------- Post added at 03:04 ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barewolf
Im not sure if this will work but i am fed up to my back teeth when it comes to NTL. Please read this document and send it back to me, pass it on to all the people you know with NTL and have them send it back to me.

Its time to stand up for your rights as a consumer.

NTL wont sort this issue out unless they see some action for the public.
sorry but i refuse to read anything that isnt in plain old universal text format,or PDF at a pinch, i dont have MS word installed, and never will.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:05   #485
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
Re: [Merged]-Major connection issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper
is CF hosted on NTL servers, iv never bothered to check?
No - the server's are in das Vaterland, so far as I recall. BUT you have to go through NTL's poxy servers to get to the web server, which is what's known as a "potential point of failure".
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:23   #486
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barewolf
If there is where is it?

All i am doing is using a petition from within here and on MSN list to build up a number to slap in the face of their CEO. Ive had words with the CEO before about NTL issues, if you dont want to sign it dont, but its not going to do you any harm to sign it. Least i am actually trying to get NTL to face up to their contract.

Its worth a Shot............
i see, so your MS word doc basicly said your going to send a letter (hope they have MS word installed or they wont be able to read it) to the CEO!, if your seriously trying to get a reaction then all that will do at best is get seen by the personal assistant,not the CEO.

remember that NTL is a publicly listed company on the US markets with all the official responsabilitys that go with that.

its the Board Of Directors and the share holders you should be looking to contact and influence/inform , now THAT would probably get some attention...................

---------- Post added at 03:45 ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjones
Well ive contacted NTL to see whats what. Its getting silly now and im getting a right old ear-bashing from the missus as I stupidly suggested we added the Internet service to our acc.

Cant help but feel we are all paying for ****e right now.
ROTFL
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...&postcount=495

---------- Post added at 04:13 ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
are they a professional organisation?
well thats what you get when their now the largest cable company in the country, and the fact that they have probably layed off the very people recently,that were keeping it falling over, that plus the upgrades and perhaps more things we are not privy to....

---------- Post added at 04:23 ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeanders
Oh don't worry, I wasn't suggesting it wasn't independent, just it's lucky that there have never been problems. I'd like to be able to post on this site more generally just just about problems, but not sure how I could help anyone... will give it a go though.
any no. of ways,what are you good at ?,if you see something that you know the answer too, just post your thoughts and helful advice, no one knows everything, so your contribution might just push them in the right direction, and in return, one day they may be in a position to help you, thats life.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:20   #487
grubbymitts
Inactive

grubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quads

Well, it looks like it is slowly coming back together. I bet it was due to some script kiddy's botnet activating on the 6/6/6 date and DDOSing the DNS servers again.

A quick look at the service status page seems to confirm an overload of the DNS servers.

A message to all people new to NTL or who don't have a clue when it comes to PCs:

1) get a virus checker
2) get a firewall
3) update your windows regularly
4) stop clicking on attachments that come from sources you don't know or are not expecting. Britney Spears has never yet blown off a horse - that file in your email tray reporting to be Britney blowing off a horse is not what it says it is.
5) Your paypal account has not been hacked, don't click on that link that says it has
6) Barclays don't need your password - in fact, you haven't got a Barclays bank account.
7) Hot girls are not waiting for you inside!
8) You don't know any Nigerians, so why would they want to give you thirty million dollars?
9) if you can't follow these rules, step away from the PC and read a book.
grubbymitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:32   #488
Fingy
Inactive

Fingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appeal
Fingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appealFingy has a bronzed appeal

All has been well and good for me from about 4:30.... when I woke up.
Fingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:14   #489
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingy
All has been well and good for me from about 4:30.... when I woke up.
Still very slow here in Warrington
Old 07-06-2006, 07:25   #490
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbymitts
Well, it looks like it is slowly coming back together. I bet it was due to some script kiddy's botnet activating on the 6/6/6 date and DDOSing the DNS servers again.

A quick look at the service status page seems to confirm an overload of the DNS servers.

A message to all people new to NTL or who don't have a clue when it comes to PCs:

1) get a virus checker
2) get a firewall
3) update your windows regularly
4) stop clicking on attachments that come from sources you don't know or are not expecting. Britney Spears has never yet blown off a horse - that file in your email tray reporting to be Britney blowing off a horse is not what it says it is.
5) Your paypal account has not been hacked, don't click on that link that says it has
6) Barclays don't need your password - in fact, you haven't got a Barclays bank account.
7) Hot girls are not waiting for you inside!
8) You don't know any Nigerians, so why would they want to give you thirty million dollars?
9) if you can't follow these rules, step away from the PC and read a book.
Why would a scripty kiddie or hacker be writing trogans or viruses and using corrupted machines to hit NTL? I cant see how this would be the case.I personally think its NTL not being able to handle the load and something broken.The chances of there being so many effected machines all able to hit NTL's DNS servers at anyone time has to be pretty slim dont you think? Also the viruses have to be timed to do it and theres been 3 or 4 problems with the DNS in the last month or 2 wouldnt that mean each attack would need its own Virus? IIRC the worms used for DOS attacks have been single use like the Blaster worm that tried to hit M$hq.Your gonna say its cuz of the date now aint ya but I think its coincidence
Old 07-06-2006, 07:54   #491
grubbymitts
Inactive

grubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quads

Zinglebarb,
I said that I bet it's a script kiddy, I could be wrong. And, no, it doesn't have to be timed. One simple command from the IRC channel the botnet is linked too and the attack could commence so the kiddy could set an attack off whenever he wanted, timed or not.

Knocking out DNS servers would probably be the most efficient way to get at an ISP as they don't have any hosting servers to fire at like, for example, a gambling website does. This way you knock out, or peev off, a whole load of users in one go who will shout the odds at NTL. Remember, 99% of those affected by these DNS failures won't even know about Cableforum and think NTL are at fault and will be jamming the Customer Service lines. Those on here are, for want of a better word, elite users who have a bit of a clue at what's going on. Most people probably think that DNS stands for Do Not Surf and, last night, they'd be right!
grubbymitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:01   #492
Bill C

Quote:

Quote:
well that's what you get when their now the largest cable company in the country, and the fact that they have probably laid off the very people recently,that were keeping it falling over, that plus the upgrades and perhaps more things we are not privy to....

And don't forget there is another 6000 to go yet. so if they cannot deal with it now what chance do they have when they dump another 6000 hard working employees.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:06   #493
zing_deleted

I see what you saying I just dont think its malicious.I could well be wrong but its my opinion

---------- Post added at 08:06 ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited
Quote:

Quote:
well that's what you get when their now the largest cable company in the country, and the fact that they have probably laid off the very people recently,that were keeping it falling over, that plus the upgrades and perhaps more things we are not privy to....

And don't forget there is another 6000 to go yet. so if they cannot deal with it now what chance do they have when they dump another 6000 hard working employees.
well when 2 companies merge there is often need to reshape the workforce. How many of the 6000 are engineers and how many are actually chair huggers??
Old 07-06-2006, 08:25   #494
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

given that the original outage fo rthis thread was a confirmed DDOS attack I would think all subsecquent outages are caused by attacks.

and yes its not too hard to be in control of a few thousand drones that total a few gigabit of bandwidth and direct them to target one ip address or more.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:37   #495
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
given that the original outage fo rthis thread was a confirmed DDOS attack I would think all subsecquent outages are caused by attacks.

and yes its not too hard to be in control of a few thousand drones that total a few gigabit of bandwidth and direct them to target one ip address or more.
I stand corrected tip my hat and out pops a greenie