Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Major connection issues! 6/6/06

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Major connection issues! 6/6/06

Old 06-06-2006, 22:33   #451
marcus
Inactive

marcus is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Major connection issues! 6/6/06

what can ya say really... they have a complaints office which if u make a complaint dont wanna listen, they say they have a superb service...which ends up bein a crap service. and if u complain on ere theres always one person who say give them a break? yea sure we'll love to give em a break..When tey give us a decent service which dont fuk up as much as they do.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2006, 22:33   #452
Spoona
Inactive

Spoona is on a distinguished roadSpoona is on a distinguished road
Re: Major connection issues! 6/6/06

There are clear signs of DNS not resolving correctly in the Cardiff area as well. I spoke with NTL this evening and they would not confirm there are any issues with the network at all. I mean would you...? I used to work for them, and I know at times I had to lie my butt off to customers all the time even though I did not like doing.

There are clear signs of mass degrading right across the network, and this is not the first time this has happened. 10mg customers are getting a ra deal when it comes to their connection degrading every other week. I have geven up with trying to update my computer because I cannot download and install any of the Microsoft updates for my network.

STOP TELLING LIES to your 10MB customers and tell them the truth.
Spoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 22:37   #453
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwieser
Not Really a silly comment mate
Yes it was a silly comment - Take it from me that it nearly got deleted - I wasn't sure if you was on a wind up mission or what but it was completely OTT. You entered the thread in which you appeared to be completely clueless of what is going on, i.e ntl's dns servers are playing up tonight and you are more or less suggesting to people to have a look at their PC set-up, instead of moaning.

As I said previously, in my post which you blatantly ignored (Not something which impresses me ) The perfect PC - Cable modem setup isn't going to fix a global ntl DNS issue now is it?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 22:38   #454
Spoona
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
what can ya say really... they have a complaints office which if u make a complaint dont wanna listen, they say they have a superb service...which ends up bein a crap service. and if u complain on ere theres always one person who say give them a break? yea sure we'll love to give em a break..When tey give us a decent service which dont fuk up as much as they do.
I spoke to a real dork of a person at their complaints today and I could tell he was holding the headset away from his head while I was complaining. we are not getting the service we are paying for. Under the Sales of Goods Act NTL are failling ro provide their customers with a usable service. I mean just look at this forum.
Old 06-06-2006, 22:42   #455
Celery
Inactive

Services: Sky Digital NTL Broadband
Celery is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I'm a newbie here. I looked in because NTL were screwing me again. I see I'm not alone.
BBC and Ebay have been inaccessible most of the evening here in Bricket Wood.
TalkTalk is beginning to look attractive, all of a sudden!
Celery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 22:43   #456
marcus
Inactive

marcus is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm suprised you even got through to someone as i've usually been passed onto another person who will ask for my details then pass me onto someone else who will ask same thing... and even worse on weekends as i think the uk department go home and they let some other country take over the service who havent a clue wat they r doing... but then again question is....do any of Ntl know what they are doing sept ripping us off ???
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 22:49   #457
Spoona
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick
Yes it was a silly comment - Take it from me that it nearly got deleted - I wasn't sure if you was on a wind up mission or what but it was completely OTT. You entered the thread in which you appeared to be completely clueless of what is going on, i.e ntl's dns servers are playing up tonight and you are more or less suggesting to people to have a look at their PC set-up, instead of moaning.

As I said previously, in my post which you blatantly ignored (Not something which impresses me ) The perfect PC - Cable modem setup isn't going to fix a global ntl DNS issue now is it?
If that as about my comment Mick, one does apologise, it was unprofessional and rather silly. I should know better considering I'm a IT Systems Analyst.
Old 06-06-2006, 22:51   #458
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwieser
Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
silly comment considering everyone knows it's an NTL fault.
Not Really a silly comment mate considering how many people come out of the woodwork and just Bitch about NTL and their problems instead of posting in the forum on a regular basis and helping and contributing to the site.
just a thought..

previously a similar major connectivity problem was attributed to a ddos attack
on the NTL dns servers.

while wondering why they can't deal with this more effectively, if it is the case, this time, it is hardly their 'fault' that someone would attempt to screw up their service like this.

- unfortunately, for very good reasons, NTL will not be able to give any clues, at all, to what they are doing about it ...
I see your point, homealone, but assuming this is a repeat of the DDoS attack they had recently, you'd hope that they'd at least be prepared to deal with it. There are ways of mitigating a DDoS, and you'd hope that, if anybody, an ISP would be aware of these and have something in place for days like today. In my line of work, I'd be expecting a P45 on my desk in the morning if I performed as badly.

Ack, I dunno what to do when I can't browse t'internet or play Counter Strike.

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick

If that as about my comment Mick, one does apologise, it was unprofessional and rather silly. I should know better considering I'm a IT Systems Analyst.
No mate, it was about someone else's comment
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 22:55   #459
Spoona
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
I see your point, homealone, but assuming this is a repeat of the DDoS attack they had recently, you'd hope that they'd at least be prepared to deal with it. There are ways of mitigating a DDoS, and you'd hope that, if anybody, an ISP would be aware of these and have something in place for days like today. In my line of work, I'd be expecting a P45 on my desk in the morning if I performed as badly.

Ack, I dunno what to do when I can't browse t'internet or play Counter Strike.

---------- Post added at 22:51 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

No mate, it was about someone else's comment
That makes me feel a little better. I was a little harsh though...
Old 06-06-2006, 23:22   #460
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoona
That makes me feel a little better. I was a little harsh though...
No, as Gareth said - it wasn't aimed at you buddy.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 23:24   #461
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

A little off topic arent we??

I was trying to find out why my internet is not working too well tonight and all i see is people bickering!!
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 23:28   #462
mhanmore
Inactive

mhanmore is an unknown quantity at this point

23:30 on 6/6/6, service is still rubbish. Some might be interested in the (never EVER empty) fault list:

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/

For my part, I've never experienced an ISP with a worse service record.
mhanmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 23:29   #463
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

omg 1st time ever I see updates on the NTL service page...

NTL Broadband internet customers across the whole country may currently be experiencing problems in browsing to web sites. NTL is aware of this issue and working to identify and resolve the cause as quickly as possible. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Update 21:00 - Issues appear to have been caused by a failure due to overload of NTL's DNS servers.
These servers are now returning to normal levels and investigation of the cause of the overload is under way.
Browsing is slowly returning to normal, however it is unlikely that services will be fault free until morning of 7/6/06

ow and Mhanmore, its not just faults its also upgrades and normal maintainance on the hardware of NTL. and yes I know it sounds silly that ntl are perhaps doing any form of maintainance on their network
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 23:35   #464
jonifen
Inactive

jonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nice

NTL broadband failing again because of DNS tonight.

I thought the idea of life was to learn something new everyday?

I can connect to sites via IP address (gained via dnsstuff.com when NTL decided to work for a moment), but by domain address, it fails miserably.

For those who will be with NTL this time next year, I hope for your sakes that they buck their ideas up and start thinking more about the service they provide than the sales they achieve. It seems to be getting worse and worse these last couple of months but because it is not improving, it would appear to the general public that NTL seem to be doing little about it (I could be completely wrong, and they could all be working their asses off, but that is NOT how it appears)

I really am so glad that NTL didn't bother cabling the area we hope to move to, so we don't have to put up with their joke services much longer than we have to.
jonifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 23:39   #465
gurnsy
Inactive

gurnsy is an unknown quantity at this point

My money is on a 6/6/6 inspired DOS attack on their DNS servers.
This appears to be nationwide.

Get the coffee on boys, it's going to be a long old night.
gurnsy is offline   Reply With Quote