Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Major connection issues! 6/6/06

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Major connection issues! 6/6/06

Old 22-05-2006, 04:25   #1
mpmc
cf.member

Services: O2 BB.
mpmc is on a distinguished roadmpmc is on a distinguished road
Angry [Merged] Major connection issues! 6/6/06

Hello all.

I'm currently on NTL 10meg, Or so I thought! Anyway since around saturday, I've been having very bad connection problems for example, Some sites wont load (this site takes 10 minutes!) & I cannot do anything, It's not my computer or router, cleared the cache.. refreshed etc...

Non of it makes any difference, I contacted by brother who is also on NTL (4meg though) & he is having the same issues (he lives 10 houses away)

Anyway, can anyone tell me if they are having any issues within the area!

Thanks!

mpmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2006, 09:19   #2
mandrake
Inactive

Services: vm xl
mandrake is on a distinguished roadmandrake is on a distinguished road
Re: Major connection issue! (Tamworth & lichfield)

Same here da1 area, lost the connection on saturday 13/05 and again on 20/05 both times at 16.10pm.
I am also on up to 10meg, rang ts both times, told first time that the problem was with the green street box and that my s/n was to high, second time told by a very nice indian gentleman that my modem had died and that he coudnt run any tests on it.
Arranged for an engineer to call between 12-6pm today(monday), connection returned at 5pm saturday, so much for a dead modem!!
mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 11:32   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I've been having problems on the 2Mb connection in the Cardiff area late at night... sites not found, very slow loading, etc.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 12:39   #4
spotler
Inactive

spotler is an unknown quantity at this point

Having the same problems in last 24-48 hours. Doing traceroutes to say BBC, and others, looks like packets being lost left right and centre
Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.224.118] over a maximum of 30 hops:
Code:
Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.224.118] over a maximum of 30 hops: 1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms www18.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.118] 2 8 ms 10 ms 9 ms 10.254.132.1 3 9 ms 9 ms 17 ms brhm-t2cam1-a-v121.inet.ntl.com [213.106.228.117] 4 * 30 ms * brhm-t2core-a-ge-wan61.inet.ntl.com [213.106.231.37] 5 * * 11 ms bir-bb-a-so-200-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.145] 6 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms bir-bb-b-ae0-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.154] 7 13 ms 11 ms * nth-bb-a-so-300-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.105] 8 15 ms * 15 ms gfd-bb-b-so-400-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.98] 9 17 ms * 17 ms redb-ic-1-as0-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.174.138] 10 25 ms * * 212.58.238.189 11 17 ms 24 ms 14 ms 212.58.238.133 12 * * * Request timed out. 13 * 16 ms * www18.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.118] 14 23 ms 33 ms 38 ms www18.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.118] Trace complete.
Speed is worst since I began using 10 Mb service. Almost as slow as Dial-up!!

Anyone else know a reason, because as usual, nothing posted on the service status page.
spotler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 13:51   #5
James Henry
Permanently Banned

James Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these parts

I'd speculate reason for your extremely poor service is the link here:

3 9 ms 9 ms 17 ms brhm-t2cam1-a-v121.inet.ntl.com [213.106.228.117]
4 * 30 ms * brhm-t2core-a-ge-wan61.inet.ntl.com [213.106.231

As ntl in their infinite wisdom don't monitor packet loss, and as India tends not to have the skill / willingness to spot these issues or the contacts to report them it's a bit screwy and these things don't get noticed for ages.

Seems fine at the moment though, no packet loss to there at all so guess someone noticed. 24 - 48 hours to spot it is gack though
James Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 14:33   #6
mandrake
Inactive

Services: vm xl
mandrake is on a distinguished roadmandrake is on a distinguished road

Just had the engineer come out, informed that there is a promblem with the ubr's in da1 area, work being done tonight to rectify the problem, we will wait and see!!!
mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 15:46   #7
spotler
Inactive

spotler is an unknown quantity at this point

Speed seems to have been restored. Just tried traceroute again, and no more lost packets.
spotler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 16:19   #8
mpmc
cf.member

I'm still having some issues, the browsing is picking up again, but I can't sign in on MSN...

It gets better then it gets worse!

I'm in the B77 area...
Old 22-05-2006, 19:29   #9
mpmc
cf.member

Update: google isn't available..

The bbc.co.uk website redirects to http://www.uk.com/results/bbc?src=bbc

What the hell...
Old 22-05-2006, 19:33   #10
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

I'm getting random slow loading of pagesand page not found errors, changed proxies and no change.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 19:33   #11
stormrider
Inactive

Services: NTL DTV & 20Mb
stormrider is an unknown quantity at this point

Somethings up. Can't get to BBC news or Ebay right now.
stormrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 19:36   #12
grubbymitts
Inactive

grubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quads

yep, DNS problems here in Newcastle under Lyme in Staffordshire too
grubbymitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 19:38   #13
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DNS issues??

Heyup.

is it me or has the DNS server been kicked a bit too hard again for a change??? had a hell of signing into msn and the beeb + ebay are both timing out....

have to say the dns servers have been steady for too long now so might be those
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 19:39   #14
Albie
Inactive

Albie is on a distinguished roadAlbie is on a distinguished road
Re: DNS issues??

BBC and Google are down for me.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 19:39   #15
Cerberus
Permanently Banned

Cerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of Quads
Re: DNS issues??

No response from Gmail or Google and cant sign into MSN either.

BBC works though.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote