Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Want ADSL?-Read on....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Want ADSL?-Read on....

Old 18-12-2003, 15:11   #121
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
<snip>

Since others still seem too busy worshiping pipex I will thank you for a very imformative post.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-12-2003, 19:48   #122
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DrAwesome Send a message via MSN to DrAwesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by pem
Since others still seem too busy worshiping pipex I will thank you for a very imformative post.
As i am in a class of "others" i wish to inform you for the record i for one dont worship Pipex or false idols.
DrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2003, 19:58   #123
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwesome
As i am in a class of "others" i wish to inform you for the record i for one dont worship Pipex or false idols.
Me either-I just like to receive a good/stable/reliable product & service, in return for my hard earned cash-something you don't normally get with ntl.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2003, 20:33   #124
trebor
Inactive

Services: DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP
trebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud oftrebor has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Me either-I just like to receive a good/stable/reliable product & service, in return for my hard earned cash-something you don't normally get with ntl.
very true, I also now get double the upload speed and all for a cheaper price
It's not pipex worship, it's a message for all NTL users. I never realised how bad NTL were until I stopped using them.
the sad thing is they don't care their service is crap and they don't care people are leaving. so as far as I can see they only have themselves to blame.
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2003, 20:39   #125
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor
It's not pipex worship, it's a message for all NTL users. I never realised how bad NTL were until I stopped using them.
the sad thing is they don't care their service is crap and they don't care people are leaving. so as far as I can see they only have themselves to blame.
Well said Trebor-you hit the nail right on the head.
Old 18-12-2003, 21:19   #126
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor
Sorry, but as one of these users, my service is not crap and I understood from the last report that the number of BB users was increasing, not decreasing ? - Something like 800,000 at the last count I think.

I am well aware that some people get a poor / crap / unacceptable service and that NTL are not the best in the world - I however, do not make the mistake of thinking everyone gets this poor service - many hundreds of thousands seem to be satisfied.

Even if, on any given day, 8000 users have a problem then that is only 1% of the total (in other words 99% are problem free).

Old 18-12-2003, 21:25   #127
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pem
Sorry, but as one of these users, my service is not crap and I understood from the last report that the number of BB users was increasing, not decreasing ? - Something like 800,000 at the last count I think.

I am well aware that some people get a poor / crap / unacceptable service and that NTL are not the best in the world - I however, do not make the mistake of thinking everyone gets this poor service - many hundreds of thousands seem to be satisfied.

Even if, on any given day, 8000 users have a problem then that is only 1% of the total (in other words 99% are problem free).
Not necessarily-a lot of people just put up with the service for various reasons, either they are not aware of an alternative, or think it's too difficult, or simply can't be doing with 'the aggro' of switching.
Old 18-12-2003, 21:27   #128
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pem

I wonder what NTL do with all that money they gather in each month?
Old 18-12-2003, 21:52   #129
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Not necessarily-a lot of people just put up with the service for various reasons, either they are not aware of an alternative, or think it's too difficult, or simply can't be doing with 'the aggro' of switching.
Well the only thing we can say for certain is that we don't actually know one way or the other what they think - if they are really satisfied or not.

Old 18-12-2003, 22:25   #130
DrAwesome
Inactive

We do know what NTL forum customer/members think and thats not speculation
Old 18-12-2003, 22:28   #131
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwesome
I wonder what NTL do with all that money they gather in each month?
Not plough it back into a network that is creaking under the ever increasing numbers of customers that they are signing up under the pretence that they will get a great BB service, or training for their staff who they put on the phones to deal with customers that don't know the first thing about ntl's products or how to resolve a customer's problem, that's for sure.
Old 18-12-2003, 23:04   #132
tridens

Services: Sky TV HD
Question Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

If you reconect to bt can they use the ntl cable going in to the house and existing tel sockets or do they put new cable and phone sockets in
Old 18-12-2003, 23:09   #133
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridens
If you reconect to bt can they use the ntl cable going in to the house and existing tel sockets or do they put new cable and phone sockets in
My BT reconnection consisted of an engineer walking in - moving my phone plug from the ntl socket to the bt socket (Which are next to each other) - he then picked up the phone and dialed his mobile to see if it was all working.

All in all he was there about 3mins.... And for this I waited in all morning

The could have just asked me to do it myself.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2003, 23:11   #134
themelon
Inactive

themelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I dont think the majority of people are that stupid.......

I will always shop around for the best service, and I think the majority of Internet users are pretty clued up on finding what suits them at the best price.

At the end of the day ntl is still the cheapest braodband provider because you dont have to have a telephone line to get it.

IE.
Any ADSL Broadband requires a BT Line at £9.50 (However BT normally force you onto the £11.50 package *in theirs 'your' best interest!)

Then you will require the service provider at £18 +, so were talkin a minimum of 28 quid!

Britain is a cheapskate nation....will close all our factories down and import shoddy crap from abroad. Most people are attracted by cost.

Certain areas of the ntl network have big problems but others are working great.
themelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2003, 01:31   #135
DrAwesome
Inactive

A few years ago (depending on which area you live) you didnt have much choice of internet BB but now a few years on prices have come down and people have a much wider choice available to them today, for example if your phone or dtv provider has treated you badly over what ever problems you have to the point that you are fed up you have a choice to move and try a competitor.

if you want to have faster BB connection and your currant provider has no plans in the future to supply it for whatever reason you have the choice to move. if you have suffered a poor connection time after time and have sort help to rectify the problem but with your currant isp the problems just keep returning because your isp wont invest in their network causing over subscription causing misery for you whatever reason you may have you now have a wider choice to move to another supplyier weather it be ADSL to cable or vice versa.

Price wise between isp's its swings and rounderbouts what you save on one you loose on another.

what it boils down to is if your happy with the level of service that you recieve from your provider you stay where you are.

If not you have a choice to move and try someone different and keep moving until you are happy with what you pay for/recieve.