Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 12-10-2014, 14:04   #5026
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
So basically BT for all their big talk have been blown out of the water.

Yup, looks like it Den...
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2014, 14:38   #5027
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Hate cricket so not bothered personally but maybe BT didn`t try to hard because they have their eyes on something else?
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 14:44   #5028
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Hate cricket so not bothered personally but maybe BT didn`t try to hard because they have their eyes on something else?
Me too mate, and you may have a good point there.
Old 12-10-2014, 14:51   #5029
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

and you can guarantee sky will make sure they win the next football rights
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 15:00   #5030
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I dare say they have and I'm sure they'll go all out to capture more Premier league football however in my opinion their channels are very thinly spread with decent sporting content , I suppose this will be helped by the Champions League contract once that kicks in.

Maybe Sky have secured these and many other rights to make their channels still have appeal should they not gain as many Premier League matches at the next rights auction.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 15:10   #5031
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I dare say they have and I'm sure they'll go all out to capture more Premier league football however in my opinion their channels are very thinly spread with decent sporting content.

Maybe Sky have secured these and many other rights to make their channels still have appeal should they not gain as many Premier League matches at the next rights auction.
I think La Liga aside they have a much better portfolio of European Leagues, and MLS is a smart move given their ESPN branding, but I've always said that their Premier League package doesn't amount to much and I can't honestly see how they'll improve it. Their coverage really isn't as good as Sky and the Premier League have got to consider brand associations when the next rights package comes up. Sky's "preferred bidder" status got them the opportunity to bid again after they'd been beaten by BT in the last round and, given whatv they've done with the meagre rights they did win I've absolutely no reason to think that will change. The only obstacle to Sky getting the best rights packages again, imo, will be whether or not they (Sky) draw a line in terms of how much they're prepared to pay for them.
Old 12-10-2014, 15:17   #5032
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
I would guess the premier league given the bidding is due to open up later this year or early next, but you can be assured sky will be bidding very strongly to make sure BT's offering remains low
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 15:49   #5033
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I think La Liga aside they have a much better portfolio of European Leagues, and MLS is a smart move given their ESPN branding, but I've always said that their Premier League package doesn't amount to much and I can't honestly see how they'll improve it. Their coverage really isn't as good as Sky and the Premier League have got to consider brand associations when the next rights package comes up. Sky's "preferred bidder" status got them the opportunity to bid again after they'd been beaten by BT in the last round and, given whatv they've done with the meagre rights they did win I've absolutely no reason to think that will change. The only obstacle to Sky getting the best rights packages again, imo, will be whether or not they (Sky) draw a line in terms of how much they're prepared to pay for them.
Your post perfectly illustrates my point , personally I'm not sure how massive a pull those European leagues are.

I quite like my football but honestly wouldn't entertain half the foreign leagues on BT Sport I guess I'm not a die hard enough football fan for that.
Old 12-10-2014, 15:50   #5034
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Your post perfectly illustrates my point , personally I'm not sure how massive a pull those European leagues are.

I quite like my football but honestly wouldn't entertain half the foreign leagues on BT Sport I guess I'm not a die hard enough football fan for that.our post perfectly illustrates my point , personally I'm not sure how massive a pull those European leagues are.

I quite like my football but honestly wouldn't entertain half the foreign leagues on BT Sport I guess I'm not a die hard enough football fan for that.

Well put MM........
Old 12-10-2014, 15:57   #5035
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Well put MM........
my editing and copy and paste went a little wrong , edited correctly now
Old 12-10-2014, 16:28   #5036
andy_m
cf.mega poster

andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:

No, I'm not sure I am either. But your point was that the BT channels are too thinly spread with "decent" content. As far as football goes the foreign leagues on BT Sport include 3 of the top 5 (the other two being the Premier League, which they have limited rights to and La Liga) so it's hard to argue that Sky's answer to BT's Champions League rights - Sky Sports 5, which consists of what they already had, plus the Dutch League and Euro qualifiers - is more "decent". Popular, maybe. Attractive to a UK audience, perhaps. But better? I don't know.

Either way I'm splitting hairs.

What Sky are doing very well is making themselves the home of ... various sports. It's inconceivable to think that they won't continue to be the home of the Premier League.
Old 12-10-2014, 19:34   #5037
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think it would have been hard for BT to win. The global were successfully renewed globally by News Corporation's Star Sports subsidiaries. According to Sky Sports' press release "STAR has been awarded the global rights from the ICC and Sky Sports has an exclusive arrangement with STAR for broadcast in UK and Ireland."
http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/ne...tional-cricket

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Sky's "preferred bidder" status got them the opportunity to bid again after they'd been beaten by BT in the last round and, given whatv they've done with the meagre rights they did win I've absolutely no reason to think that will change. The only obstacle to Sky getting the best rights packages again, imo, will be whether or not they (Sky) draw a line in terms of how much they're prepared to pay for them.
No broadcaster has preferred bidder rights. If the bids are close, the Premier League may at its discretion invite all parties to re-bid. This is what happened in the last round of bids.
It is quite conceivable that BT may now bid more keenly on Premier League rights now that recent key rights have been retained by Sky. Put another way, the Premier League rights will be worth more to BT than Sky.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 19:44   #5038
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Did anyone read this?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ion-tv-4420592
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 19:55   #5039
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think it would have been hard for BT to win. The global were successfully renewed globally by News Corporation's Star Sports subsidiaries. According to Sky Sports' press release "STAR has been awarded the global rights from the ICC and Sky Sports has an exclusive arrangement with STAR for broadcast in UK and Ireland."
http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/ne...tional-cricket

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

No broadcaster has preferred bidder rights. If the bids are close, the Premier League may at its discretion invite all parties to re-bid. This is what happened in the last round of bids.
It is quite conceivable that BT may now bid more keenly on Premier League rights now that recent key rights have been retained by Sky. Put another way, the Premier League rights will be worth more to BT than Sky.
I put "preferred bidder" in speech marks because I'm aware that they were unofficially so. Nonetheless, they were invited to increase their bid to beat off BT, who were not then invited to do the same. It's clear that they were the Premier League's preferred partner.
Old 13-10-2014, 06:24   #5040
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Sadly the madness will continue and the punter will be the one still paying for it at the end of the day.