Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 16-08-2013, 12:59   #3466
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

I will tell you what's funny on the other site; there is FM's who were saying they didn't want BTS anyway because it's going to be rubbish, or it is rubbish, but now they are signing it's praises now they have it! I think they must have swallowed those sour grapes.
tvtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-08-2013, 13:49   #3467
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimes View Post
I will tell you what's funny on the other site; there is FM's who were saying they didn't want BTS anyway because it's going to be rubbish, or it is rubbish, but now they are signing it's praises now they have it! I think they must have swallowed those sour grapes.
I said I didn't want it. So, FWIW, here's what I think now it's here -

Firstly I think a Virgin have done well to get this deal, but they've now confirmed a precedent. It will be interesting to see what happens in three years time. Personally I think Virgin have taken the easy way out now but are storing up future problems. That said I also think they've effectively killed off Bt vision as far as I'm concerned;

Secondly, the channels themselves. The shows I've seen so far have been amateurish, and I've long said that I believe their Premier League rights to be second rate. I haven't changed my opinion just because I've now got the channels. I will, however, be watching the first match tomorrow and I'm looking forward to seeing how they do.

What is a plus, for me, is ESPN, which is essentially ESPN America, in hd.
Old 16-08-2013, 14:17   #3468
tvtimes
Inactive

Services: Sky entertainment, kids and HD package, Sky Fibre Unlimited broadband, XBOX one, PS4 and Android box
tvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant futuretvtimes has a brilliant future

The BTS films have been good so has the documentary on the UFC. I think the Studio is impressive and looks amazing in HD.
tvtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 14:46   #3469
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

BT Sport sign Man City for content.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/p...r-distribution

Quote:
On the eve of the opening day of England's Premier League season, broadcast newcomer BT Sport and Manchester City have announced a three-year content partnership. The deal will include BT Sport broadcasting exclusive weekly interviews from key members of the playing and coaching staff, and access to behind-the-scenes content, on average expected to be three hours per week.

While a number of Premier League clubs have their own broadcast channels, Manchester City to date have kept their video content as clips and features on their website, rather than creating a full TV channel. The deal with BT Sport is the first of its kind in the Premier League.
Old 16-08-2013, 14:53   #3470
martin201002
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD sports and movies HD, sky fibre pro, ps4 and xbox one.
martin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

Like the sound of this, unfortunately my son has taking a liking to man city he will enjoy this.
martin201002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 15:31   #3471
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

That's an odd decision for a sports channel , I'm sure all those non Man City subscribers will give the channel a miss for those three hours a week.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 15:55   #3472
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
That's an odd decision for a sports channel , I'm sure all those non Man City subscribers will give the channel a miss for those three hours a week.
If l rightly remember certain sports channels a few years ago had Real Madrid and Barcelona as content on their channels so its not odd but perhaps odd only to Man Utd supporters.
Old 16-08-2013, 16:05   #3473
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
They can always watch Sky sports, it is almost a Man Utd channel anyway
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 16:10   #3474
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
That said I also think they've effectively killed off Bt vision as far as I'm concerned;
I think you're right, it's a risky game BT are playing.

They effectively signed the death warrant of their own DTV platform, and they're playing sky at a game they know inside out, and have effectively seen off all newcomers.

There surely had to be a better, cheaper way to attract broadband customers?
Old 16-08-2013, 16:30   #3475
andy_m
cf.mega poster

andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Well, yes, but we mustn't forget that attracting broadband customers wasn't actually the reason they bid for Premier League rights. The broadband thing was their plan b when they failed to get anything like the rights package they wanted. Their original aim was to grow their TV platform and compete with Sky.
Old 16-08-2013, 16:39   #3476
anap
Inactive

Services: VIP with extra box (2 V6's & a TiVo)
anap will become famous soon enoughanap will become famous soon enoughanap will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
They can always watch Sky sports, it is almost a Man Utd channel anyway
Are you serious? Sky Sports is the reason Arsenal don't need a channel! Martin Tyler can't commentate on any game without mentioning them and that drip Alan Smith fawns all over them.
anap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 16:41   #3477
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Their original aim was to grow their TV platform and compete with Sky.
Well that's gone out the window. There is no incentive to purchase their DTV platform when their channel is available on the big two.
Old 16-08-2013, 16:47   #3478
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by anap View Post
Are you serious? Sky Sports is the reason Arsenal don't need a channel! Martin Tyler can't commentate on any game without mentioning them and that drip Alan Smith fawns all over them.
I was thinking neville
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 17:00   #3479
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Well that's gone out the window. There is no incentive to purchase their DTV platform when their channel is available on the big two.
Agreed. It went out the window when, having outbid Sky, Sky were given the chance to up their bid and blew Bt out of the water. It left Bt with a second class set of rights and a bill for the best part of a billion quid. Plan b meant something had to give.
Old 16-08-2013, 17:04   #3480
cityfan247
cf.addict

Services: Full House 2 V6 Boxes 1 1TB Tivo Freesat Freeview HD Roku Apple TV 3 Firesticks
cityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to behold

been away a couple of days and have found ESPN and BT Sports (in HD!!) on my telly.

fantastic.

we had to wait a while but VM have come up trumps getting it in the XL pack. It pays to be patient- i wonder how many had jumped to Sky/BT .I am a sports fan and this was the absolute best case scenario for me

Many of us thought we would end up paying £10 to £15 for BT/ESPN

Getting 3 channels in HD is better than the old deal of ESPN HD ESPN America SD and ESPN Classic SD.

Theres still talk that we may well get Sky Atlantic in the not too distant future, HD versions of Sky News and Sky Sports News, F1 as well as maybe Universal and the like, even Netflix on TIVO

Should this happen then VM would have virtually everything Sky has (sports 3 & 4 HD not withstanding). Why would you feel the need to move.Certainly BT visions offering and lack of Sky content puts them well down in 3rd place in the Pay Tv market.

Now its quite likley VM will announce a price increase soon-tbh if we do even get a couple more new channels as above i probably wouldnt begrudge a small increase of say a couple of quid a month as the additions over the last 6 months or so (more HD) would probalby still be worth it imo. (non sports fans may disagree)
cityfan247 is offline   Reply With Quote