Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 19-02-2021, 23:50   #3676
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Such a shame you have to resort to a personal attack rather than debate the obvious issue that the Scots dislike the English.

To answer the proposition you introduced, no, my mother in law despised the English and made no bones about it.

However many times I tried to endear myself to her, nothing really worked. I don’t think we will ever gain the friendship of the Scots. But for their own sakes, I hope they will at least accept we are better united than as competitors.
Strongly agree.

However, as we possibly approach a 48/52 situation, the Scots can't be written off in totality as non-friends. It's all much of a rugby match as I explained in an earlier post.

As for your mother-in-law .....

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2021, 00:02   #3677
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Strongly agree.

However, as we possibly approach a 48/52 situation, the Scots can't be written off in totality as non-friends. It's all much of a rugby match as I explained in an earlier post.

As for your mother-in-law .....

Quite!
Old 20-02-2021, 00:14   #3678
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Seriously ... stop embarrassing yourselves. Even if there’s eventually a referendum, and even if the Scottish electorate votes to leave the UK, that doesn’t make every leave voter an enemy, or a “non-friend”. I know plenty of people who voted Yes in 2014. A good number of them are English. For most yessers, it’s about their belief that Scotland’s economy and society are sufficiently distinct from England that they ought to be managed separately. I don’t have to agree with them to respect that as a reasonable constitutional position.

It isn’t all about you, and you sitting here pontificating like this just sounds a bit ridiculous and egotistical.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 00:34   #3679
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Seriously ... stop embarrassing yourselves. Even if there’s eventually a referendum, and even if the Scottish electorate votes to leave the UK, that doesn’t make every leave voter an enemy, or a “non-friend”. I know plenty of people who voted Yes in 2014. A good number of them are English. For most yessers, it’s about their belief that Scotland’s economy and society are sufficiently distinct from England that they ought to be managed separately. I don’t have to agree with them to respect that as a reasonable constitutional position.

It isn’t all about you, and you sitting here pontificating like this just sounds a bit ridiculous and egotistical.
If Scotland votes to leave the UK, that is the end for Scotland.

The rest of the UK will be better off. So should we care?
Old 20-02-2021, 03:49   #3680
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
If Scotland votes to leave the UK, that is the end for Scotland.

The rest of the UK will be better off. So should we care?
Evidently you do.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 10:47   #3681
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Evidently you do.
Old Boy's another one disinterested in a topic that he posts a lot on.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 11:32   #3682
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Old Boy's another one disinterested in a topic that he posts a lot on.
Why are you so judgmental about OB? I post a lot of sod 'ems in various "exit" topics but you haven't yet accused me of being disinterested.
OB's view on Scotland is perfectly valid, especially that it has insufficient economic prospects to go it alone.

The Guvmin will be doing a favour those ignoramuses who are spellbound by the wicked-witch of the Scots by denying another referendum for a generation.

Old 20-02-2021, 11:35   #3683
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Such a shame you have to resort to a personal attack rather than debate the obvious issue that the Scots dislike the English.

To answer the proposition you introduced, no, my mother in law despised the English and made no bones about it.

However many times I tried to endear myself to her, nothing really worked. I don’t think we will ever gain the friendship of the Scots. But for their own sakes, I hope they will at least accept we are better united than as competitors.
It was a joke...

What’s this ‘we’ ordure?

Lots of Scots like lots of English, what people don’t like is the lazy stereotyping of entire nations, and people who insist their unfortunately personal experience is actuality for everyone.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 11:38   #3684
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
It was a joke...
You should have learned not to try jokes on here Hugh.
They're not welcome or understood.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 11:49   #3685
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Why are you so judgmental about OB? I post a lot of sod 'ems in various "exit" topics but you haven't yet accused me of being disinterested.
OB's view on Scotland is perfectly valid, especially that it has insufficient economic prospects to go it alone.

The Guvmin will be doing a favour those ignoramuses who are spellbound by the wicked-witch of the Scots by denying another referendum for a generation.
Yet OB as, perhaps inadvertently, one of the most economically right wing members of the forum knows the answer to all of Scotland's problems. Lower taxes to induce capital flight from neighbouring countries.

Think Corbyn winning in reverse. Piece of cake.

He can't successfully reconcile any view on Scottish independence with his own, shall we say lax, economic views.
Old 20-02-2021, 11:50   #3686
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
It was a joke...

What’s this ‘we’ ordure?

Lots of Scots like lots of English, what people don’t like is the lazy stereotyping of entire nations, and people who insist their unfortunately personal experience is actuality for everyone.
So not a joke then.

I didn't read that OB was stereotyping the entire Scots nation. We can all read in what is meant - those idiots who blindly want independence. All that Sturgeon wants is to walk the halls of European power, like Cameron wanted to keep. Some politicians are baddies.

Old 20-02-2021, 11:55   #3687
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My nieces girlfriend was a young lady from Glasgow, after a year she got a job at Thomas Cook and was based near our town, she temporarily moved in to my sisters until she got the deposit to rent a room.

I got on with her as she was a Queen fan, Several times her mum would stay (this was before she got her own room.)

We often spoke about Scottish independence and both didn't want it.

Sadly they spilt and she moved on and lives in Kent.
Old 20-02-2021, 11:56   #3688
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
It was a joke...

What’s this ‘we’ ordure?

Whaaaaa, assuming one’s own personal experiences are actually universal? Surely OB would never ever do such a thing.

Seriously though, for someone to think they understand an entire nation based on a dysfunctional relationship within their own family is pretty extreme.

Two of my grandparents-in-law were raving separatists but we used to be able to get past it (if the subject ever came up I’d tell them it’s England’s oil, and they’d just get preoccupied with maritime boundaries until the conversation moved on).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 12:25   #3689
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
So not a joke then.

I didn't read that OB was stereotyping the entire Scots nation. We can all read in what is meant - those idiots who blindly want independence. All that Sturgeon wants is to walk the halls of European power, like Cameron wanted to keep. Some politicians are baddies.

The joke was about his M-i-L not detesting the English in general, but only a specific English person...

This sounds pretty much stereotyping the entire Scots nation...

Quote:
Yes, I agree the motivation for the Scots is hatred of the English. However, they are also careful with their money - they are renowned for it.
Quote:
the obvious issue that the Scots dislike the English.
Quote:
I used to think the Scots were a canny lot. Now I’m not so sure.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 20-02-2021 at 12:49.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 12:46   #3690
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Fundamentally, I take Old Boy's input as completely insincere.

One only has to look at every single post where he's set up his signature to inform us using the user title

Quote:
Just shield those at risk
and until recently the post signature to tell us that on demand will replace linear television. A subject close to his heart until you ask him to define 'linear'.

Almost nobody believes he is sincerely engaging in either debate so when brings his British nationalism for a brief sojourn into the Scotland thread to tell us what's good for us forgive me if I'm sceptical he has Scotland's best interests at heart.