Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sports you watch?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport

Sports you watch?

Old 11-11-2003, 07:58   #1
Jerrek
Inactive

Jerrek can only hope to improve
Sports you watch?

What is your favorite sport to watch with friends and drink beer? What do you put on the widescreen tv when you and your buddies drink? (sport! not movies!)

I am stuck with pretty much one thing: hockey. NHL (Maple Leaf supporter [yeah yeah yeah, I know, Hailey's Comet comes around more often than the Stanley Cup, but who cares...]) or Team Canada (I think the big rinks are a little too big... not enough physical action.)

Football, eh. Don't really appreciate it. Never got into this whole guy-on-guy-on-the-grass thing. Basketball is a little better than golf, but not too much. Baseball is a good second option if hockey ain't available. And I don't don't don't watch curling!!!!
Jerrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2003, 08:36   #2
homealone

Re: Sports you watch?

Rugby the main one at the moment.

Surprised you didn't mention motor racing - out of season atm, but I enjoy Formula 1 & whatever CART calls itself these days.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:17   #3
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star

Rugby (not just the World Cup!), Formula 1, Football (mainly internationals), WRC.
(I battled to get Sky Sports in an all female household - and won! )
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:36   #4
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Usually American football or baseball. Unfortunately Sky Sports and Channel 5 haven't started using the widescreen broadcasts of these games yet.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:05   #5
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Football, esp Man U. Cricket (all forms, but Tests are best), Rugby, both codes. all Motor Sports, Tennis, Golf, and some Athletics.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:35   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Can I be the first person to make the inevitable point that what Americans call Basketball and Baseball, we call netball and rounders, and are played by little girls at school. American 'football' meanwhile, is glorified Rugby, which elsewhere in the world is played by men without the aid of helmets and heavy padding.

Seriously tho', I quite like to watch a game of football if I'm in front of a TV on my own, but I don't seem to get anything out of the whole male bonding with beer in front of the big game thing.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:45   #7
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrek
What is your favorite sport to watch with friends and drink beer? What do you put on the widescreen tv when you and your buddies drink? (sport! not movies!)

I am stuck with pretty much one thing: hockey. NHL (Maple Leaf supporter [yeah yeah yeah, I know, Hailey's Comet comes around more often than the Stanley Cup, but who cares...]) or Team Canada (I think the big rinks are a little too big... not enough physical action.)

Football, eh. Don't really appreciate it. Never got into this whole guy-on-guy-on-the-grass thing. Basketball is a little better than golf, but not too much. Baseball is a good second option if hockey ain't available. And I don't don't don't watch curling!!!!

Leafs fan here as well (First NHL team i saw live). Also follow the Yankees and the Nascar. NASN definately the best value channel on cable!!
Old 11-11-2003, 11:47   #8
gary_580

Quote:
Originally Posted by towny
Can I be the first person to make the inevitable point that what Americans call Basketball and Baseball, we call netball and rounders, and are played by little girls at school. American 'football' meanwhile, is glorified Rugby, which elsewhere in the world is played by men without the aid of helmets and heavy padding.

Seriously tho', I quite like to watch a game of football if I'm in front of a TV on my own, but I don't seem to get anything out of the whole male bonding with beer in front of the big game thing.
oohhhhh Towny dont go there!!! You should try going to a baseball game, or just sit and watch a few games. You will quickley realise its not rounders. Must admit i dont care for basketball
Old 11-11-2003, 12:07   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_580
oohhhhh Towny dont go there!!! You should try going to a baseball game, or just sit and watch a few games. You will quickley realise its not rounders. Must admit i dont care for basketball
teehee ... I know, I just like winding up our American friends. Does that make me a troll?
Old 11-11-2003, 12:34   #10
Bex
Inactive

Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Bex

is it just me or is towny being incredibly sarccy at the moment? towny behave :p

right the only sport i watching willingly is rugby.......not keen on other sports....watched tennis under duress...and motorcar racing thingy
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 13:21   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexy
is it just me or is towny being incredibly sarccy at the moment? towny behave :p
who me?
Old 11-11-2003, 13:33   #12
Bex
Inactive

Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
who me?
yes u seem very sarccy and jokey recently..........which means ur either incredibly happy or ur in a bad mood....trying to work out which...knowing you probably the former........either that or your on the :p
Old 11-11-2003, 13:36   #13
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Boxing!

Only sport I watch.
Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 13:46   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexy
yes u seem very sarccy and jokey recently..........which means ur either incredibly happy or ur in a bad mood....trying to work out which...knowing you probably the former........either that or your on the :p
Mrs towny keeps asking me why I'm so happy lately. I can't think what's changed, I've definitely not been in the drinks cabinet Maybe it's 'cos we've started talking about moving away from hemel and back closer to family ... it kind of feels like we've been in exile for the last 4 years.

The other thing is, I've been around nthellworld .com/.co.uk for almost a year now and I feel like I know you all (despite missing out on two meet-ups ). Time to relax a bit and have some fun!

Sorry, that was waaaaaay off topic...
Old 11-11-2003, 13:51   #15
Bex
Inactive

Quote:
Mrs towny keeps asking me why I'm so happy lately. I can't think what's changed, I've definitely not been in the drinks cabinet Maybe it's 'cos we've started talking about moving away from hemel and back closer to family ... it kind of feels like we've been in exile for the last 4 years.

The other thing is, I've been around nthellworld .com/.co.uk for almost a year now and I feel like I know you all (despite missing out on two meet-ups ). Time to relax a bit and have some fun!

Sorry, that was waaaaaay off topic...
glad your happy huni.......
and we feel like we know you too :p
well im planning a get together (local) in london next month :p

i'm being told off and told to behave too....so back on topic now :p

edit: i stick my tongue out way too much.....gonna get me in trouble one day