Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Multiscreen - sharing sky subscription with house next door?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky Multiscreen - sharing sky subscription with house next door?

Old 29-12-2013, 02:21   #1
loll_l
Inactive

loll_l is an unknown quantity at this point
Sky Multiscreen - sharing sky subscription with house next door?

I own 2 houses next door to each other and I’m wondering whether I can share my sky subscription between the 2 houses. I am guessing sky wouldn’t be too happy about this and I assume they would expect each household to have its own subscription, nether the less, I would be interested to know if the following is possible….

My current Sky subscription includes one Sky HD box and one Sky + box (none HD) in another room. I am hoping to change this to 5 or 6 HD boxes (2 in my current house and 3 or 4 next door)…. The reason for so many receivers in the house next door is that I will be renting it out to students….

The questions I have are as follows…

1- Considering I will be paying the bill for all of the extra multiscreen boxes (£11.25 per month per box) - would sky allow me to share the subscription between 2 houses?
2- If, as I suspect, the answer to the above in ‘no’ could I set this up with a non-sky engineer but still using sky equipment? Ie. If I pay for the extra multiroom subscriptions but tell sky I do not need an engineer because I will set it up myself – is there any way sky could find out that the subscription in being used in 2 houses?
3- The normal sky HD multiscreen boxes do not have the facility to record. If I decide to get a normal box to begin with but then decide to upgrade to a box that can record at a later date – is there anything that needs to be done with regards to the installation or can I just disconnect the coaxial cable from the back of the old one and plug straight into the new one?
4- I already have an extra Sky HD box (with the facility to record) that a friend gave to me. Could I replace one of the standard HD multiscreen boxes with this one?
5- Could I deactivate the extra multiscreen subscriptions whenever I like? Eg. When one of the rooms next door is not occupied.

I am likely to have more questions but that’s enough for now!
loll_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-12-2013, 12:28   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Sky Multiscreen - sharing sky subscription with house next door?

1. No
  2. Possibly, no reason as to why it wouldn't work but you will be breaking your contract.
  3. Boxes that record require two cables from the dish where as ones that don't only require one.
  4. Not sure, I think it may be a case of subscription dependant as when you leave sky they turn off recording capability
  5. Probably a 12month contract (that pays for the boxes as unlike vm you own the boxes afterwards)
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 13:54   #3
data0002
cf.addict

Services: 120mg Broadband (Virgin) telephone (Virgin media) 2 x Tivo
data0002 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also all mutiroom boxes have to be connected to a telephone line, so you would have to run a telephone ext from the main house to the box in the other house. to make sky think it is still in the main house
data0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 16:35   #4
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

You could easily do it yourself but as it`s been pointed out already it would be illegal and each box has to be connected to a telephone line.
I live in a flat,have another box for my bedroom but could easily get another one and get it connected up to the flat above and share a subscription if I wanted to. Spare boxes and all the cable and connectors are readily available on ebay,and all you need do is get a viewing card from sky and it activated
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:57   #5
tizmeinnit

I thought the telephone line was all to do with getting a subsidised box? If that is the case buy HD boxes off ebay or wherever get a dish with enough lnbs to supply all the boxes installed them and call sky and set the boxes up on your account
Old 01-01-2014, 14:10   #6
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
I thought the telephone line was all to do with getting a subsidised box? If that is the case buy HD boxes off ebay or wherever get a dish with enough lnbs to supply all the boxes installed them and call sky and set the boxes up on your account
If you are using the box as part of a multi room sub then you must have the boxes connected to a working phone line otherwise you will be charged a sub per box !
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote