Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 26-08-2019, 17:55   #1036
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

No-one in their right mind is going to subscribe to a dozen or more providers

Very true. However also why wholesaling content will continue provide value for many distributors removing peaks and troughs from their revenue streams and offering guaranteed longer term income.
Advertisement
Old 26-08-2019, 21:35   #1037
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

I am confused. OB has written he is 'halfway there' to his streaming heaven. It is a reasonable assumption that therefore he has cut down on the number of linear channels available in his house in favour of streaming. Yet I am sure he told us he has just subscribed to VM's top package with the maximum available number of linear channels, all the more surprising as he often writes he does not like sport.

Perhaps Mrs OB does not share her hubby's enthusiasm for streaming.
Old 26-08-2019, 21:40   #1038
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That's why switching a service now and then will give you better access to a whole variety of programmes through different providers.
So in your brave new world, we'll all be spending hours trawling through the content listings of the miriad of streaming services to make sure we don't miss something worth watching? Sounds a bit too much like hard work for me I'm afraid and I can guarantee Mrs G wouldn't be having any of it either - she likes to watch TV not content listings.
Old 26-08-2019, 21:43   #1039
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
So in your brave new world, we'll all be spending hours trawling through the content listings of the miriad of streaming services to make sure we don't miss something worth watching? Sounds a bit too much like hard work for me I'm afraid and I can guarantee Mrs G wouldn't be having any of it either - she likes to watch TV not content listings.
You'll also need to keep track of what is premiering when, and where, to ensure you can alter your subscriptions month on month so you don't miss anything you want to see!
Old 26-08-2019, 22:17   #1040
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You'll also need to keep track of what is premiering when, and where, to ensure you can alter your subscriptions month on month so you don't miss anything you want to see!
Glad it's not just me then.
Old 26-08-2019, 22:44   #1041
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Glad it's not just me then.
Mrs G has also just mentioned swapping streamers on the correct day to ensure no overlap in subscriptions (and the associated double,tripple quadruple etc subs) would be a right royal pain in the bum. Apparently it won't be a utopian dream she'll be wanting to live anytime soon.
Old 27-08-2019, 00:00   #1042
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Far to much hard work for me to!!!

---------- Post added at 23:00 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Except you aren't switching for the same content , so to get just a fraction of what Sky Cinema has you'll pay more.

It's not difficult for most to understand. Who can be arsed to keep switching when a new movie is released talk about a step backwards.
Totally agree with you MM!
Old 27-08-2019, 00:08   #1043
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quite easy to keep track of new shows/movie, premiers etc with sites such as tvtime and trakt.tv but we are a very long way from linear tv being redundant, it will eventually but not in our lifetime one feels.
Old 27-08-2019, 00:26   #1044
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Quite easy to keep track of new shows/movie, premiers etc with sites such as tvtime and trakt.tv but we are a very long way from linear tv being redundant, it will eventually but not in our lifetime one feels.
I'm guessing the average television user wants it, or an attached device, to tell them what's on.
Old 27-08-2019, 00:44   #1045
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So you think it will just be Disney doing this and the platform is untested? Disney owns Hulu and ESPN+ both tried and trusted platforms in the states so far from untested. They also own Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, National Geographic, and 20th Century Fox. So their offering will be a huge library of existing content plus new content being added continuously of films, series etc.

It is merely the start of new content delivery that you've all been slagging OB of for. I've agreed with OB before and still agree with him.

Time to get your heads out of the sand.
Spot on, i'll bet most of them thought we'd never have the broadband speeds we have now, and as for Den, I'm sure he's convinced that black and white TV is miles better....
Old 27-08-2019, 01:20   #1046
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I'm guessing the average television user wants it, or an attached device, to tell them what's on.
I still buy a tv listings magazine haha but imo you can't beat the good old epg.
Old 27-08-2019, 01:34   #1047
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
I still buy a tv listings magazine haha but imo you can't beat the good old epg.
Yup, it aint rocket science to just have a wee flick through the EPG to see what you want to watch, but wait, there are others on here who think that's way beyond them!
Old 27-08-2019, 03:22   #1048
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Yup, it aint rocket science to just have a wee flick through the EPG to see what you want to watch, but wait, there are others on here who think that's way beyond them!
I found myself using this site a lot too simply just search the show or movie you want and it'll tell you which platform it is on https://www.justwatch.com/uk
Old 27-08-2019, 06:53   #1049
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Spot on, i'll bet most of them thought we'd never have the broadband speeds we have now, and as for Den, I'm sure he's convinced that black and white TV is miles better....

What could be more exciting and alluring then watching a lovely bit of Black and White TV.

Black and white.jpg
Old 27-08-2019, 08:35   #1050
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I fail to see the relevance of the broadband comparison. People are using more data in many different ways. Obviously, technology moves to fit and consumer behaviour. It's all just an evolution of internet.

What is being discussed here isn't comparable. A valid comparison would be a prediction that BT/Virgin and other existing suppliers would be replaced by many suppliers who aren't in the direct to home market yet because people would prefer to buy 4 or 5 different speed bundles and add them together to get 500 meg, than just buy it from Virgin.

Last edited by jfman; 27-08-2019 at 09:10.
Closed Thread