Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Micro Retro Gaming a blast from the past!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion

BBC Micro Retro Gaming a blast from the past!

Old 15-06-2019, 18:59   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
BBC Micro Retro Gaming a blast from the past!

Ever wanted to revisit your BBC Micro Gaming days? Brings back memories from my childhood, my first memory of the BBC Micro was Dad bringing home an Acorn Electron(similar) with a game called Killer Gorilla, other games that spring to mind, Snapper, Chuckie Egg, Elite, Zalaga, Scramble, Defender, Revs, Citadel and many more.

Well you can play all your favourites again here.

http://bbcmicro.co.uk//index.php
Old 15-06-2019, 19:40   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: BBC Micro Retro Gaming a blast from the past!

Ah the 80s, when software houses just ripped off each other’s ideas, gave them a different name, and nobody cared about copyright . Also, when copying tapes or floppy disks was trivially easy.

I had most of the ones you mentioned, though I didn’t buy most of them...

I absolutely loved Elite and spent hours on it.

I set up a BBC Emulator on my Mac with advice from the late lamented CF member Dilli, but these days of course it’s all gone online.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 22:32   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I still remember the loading sounds from the cassette and trying to get the highest score on Chuckie Egg, i think the whole family was addicted to that.

As for Elite that blew me away, even the Acorn Electron version which didn't have colour and played slower!
Old 16-06-2019, 00:42   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

BBC floppy disk Elite was the ultimate authentic experience IMO. I played my way to Deadly and through the first mission on that. It took hours and hours.
Old 27-12-2021, 15:43   #5
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

I seem to recall the BBC Micro had a game called "Trains"?
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 16:15   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
I seem to recall the BBC Micro had a game called "Trains"?
There was one called “The Train Game” - was that it? It’s here: https://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/?atoz=T
Old 29-12-2021, 15:49   #7
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

I'm sure it was called Trains, but we are talking about the period when every school was given a BBC micro for free and that was one of the games - in fact it's the only game whose name I can recall.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 15:52   #8
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Elite was brilliant. I had the PC version and got to archangel status by blowing up space station but I've lost the discs with the save files on.
Old 29-12-2021, 15:57   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Elite was brilliant. I had the PC version and got to archangel status by blowing up space station but I've lost the discs with the save files on.
Heresy.

The definitive version of Elite runs on a BBC model B and is accessed via 5.25” floppy disc. The maximum status is Elite (obviously) and space stations are indestructible, no matter how many times you shoot at them. The only point in shooting at space stations in ‘real’ Elite is to make the police cross, and see how long you can survive against a squadron of Vipers.
Old 29-12-2021, 16:20   #10
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

While it's true Elite is really only BBC Micro I only had access to a PC (work) and the Vipers did come out but managed to beat them and did eventually destroy the space station. Never made Elite though.
Old 29-12-2021, 16:56   #11
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

My best rating was Deadly, and it took many hours of game time in my mid teens to get that far.
Old 29-12-2021, 20:32   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I run an Acorn Emulator on my PC, and have done for 15+ years.
Its for my home banking (and other) software that I wrote on my BBC in the 1980s.
It all still runs (a lot faster than on the BBC). I have 34 years of bank records.

It also runs pretty much all the other stuff I wrote back then.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 05:05   #13
bigsinky
cf.addict

Services: Broadband Gig1
bigsinky is on a distinguished roadbigsinky is on a distinguished road

BBC model b here with twin 40/80 5.25 floppy’s and 128k solidisk sideways ram. Burnt my own EPROMs, learnt 6502 assembly, forth, lisp and pascal. Those were the days. Made elite after many hours of play. Still play elite but now on pc with dangerous. It’s come a long way from 1984.
bigsinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 11:26   #14
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Oh those were the days. I cut my coding teeth on Commodore PET - BASIC and 6502 and the TRS-80 and the Altair.
At university I self taught B on Honeywell mainframe then by first real job was writing education software for the BBC Micro.
It was all so much more fun.
Old 31-12-2021, 11:40   #15
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Have to admit, never coded on my home computers - did it for a living (Mainframe Assembler, COBOL, RPG2/3, SQL, C++, Python, et al), so never felt the need/urge to do it in my time off…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote