Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media & UKTV+ITV Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Has Channel 4 signed another deal? Possible clue.

Old 28-03-2019, 12:54   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Has Channel 4 signed another deal? Possible clue.

It occurred to me today I was about to miss latest Big Bang Theory on Catch-Up, but upon going to the episode in question on my V6 the expiration date was 3 weeks time. So out of curiosity I looked closer. And last week's episode also had more than 7 days. And so does the last two episodes of Young Sheldon.

So does this mean Channel 4 now has 30 Day Catch-Up On-Demand AS STANDARD on Virgin Media? Previously only boxsets had longer days for them.

And does this, combined with the main Channel 4 on 104 becoming HD (currently only London region I believe) with the introduction of regional HD variants, mean Channel 4 have signed a new deal with VM?

If so, I wonder if there are more changes to come e.g. E4/More4/4Seven/Film4 HD swap outs and subsequent channel number changes to group all C4 channels (except Film4) together. Obviously not all the HD variants are currently on the same package levels, so 4Seven change is more likely than the others.

If there is a new deal I'd like the full Walter Presents boxset selection available to be part of it.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-03-2019, 23:08   #2
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Has Channel 4 signed another deal? Possible clue.

Interesting. Is it still ad free?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 00:06   #3
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Interesting. Is it still ad free?
It's not been ad-free for a very long time. Most catch-up has adverts on VM these days, they even have VM TV branding on the front end.
Old 29-03-2019, 07:42   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Thank you, didn't know that. The only catch-up service I tend to use these days is the BBC i-Player.

Given that ads are now included, it would be appreciated by many if VM added the full ITV Hub and All4 service to its Apps and Games section. Then at least VM viewers would be able to subscribe to the ad-free versions as well as have a better selection of programming.
Old 29-03-2019, 08:37   #5
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

I doubt the selection would expand too much given that the BBC and ITV's BritBox service is now coming to the UK. And C4 is allegedly in talks to join them (or has expressed interest) so the big archives will likely be on BritBox, with a more recent selection on the broadcaster's own services.

I don't see Walter Presents being folded into BritBox if C4 become part of the organisation, hence my hope for that part of All4 being expanded on VM.
Old 29-03-2019, 09:34   #6
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Thank you, didn't know that. The only catch-up service I tend to use these days is the BBC i-Player.

Given that ads are now included, it would be appreciated by many if VM added the full ITV Hub and All4 service to its Apps and Games section. Then at least VM viewers would be able to subscribe to the ad-free versions as well as have a better selection of programming.
I couldn't agree more.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 09:49   #7
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I disagree at least currently you can skip the ads with VM and Sky's terrestrial catch up unlike the players on other devices.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 12:16   #8
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Never had any ads on our V6 - Took me a while before I actually noticed though tbh!
Bit of a hidden benefit to Virgin 4OD

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 13:32   #9
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post
Never had any ads on our V6 - Took me a while before I actually noticed though tbh!
Bit of a hidden benefit to Virgin 4OD

Tom
Odd. There are ads at the start, and usually, but not always, during. Has been for a while. And I have a V6.

Maybe it's more likely on certain programmes? It's always there on Big Bang Theory.
Old 29-03-2019, 18:46   #10
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I disagree at least currently you can skip the ads with VM and Sky's terrestrial catch up unlike the players on other devices.
Well, that is what I thought, but cheekyangus is saying that ads are on there.

Whatever the position, it would be good to have the choice.
Old 29-03-2019, 19:12   #11
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Well, that is what I thought, but cheekyangus is saying that ads are on there.

Whatever the position, it would be good to have the choice.
I said you can skip the ads ie FFW.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 20:40   #12
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Old Boy, muppetman11 is correct, you can fast forward the adverts, unlike the All4 apps on various devices.

The thing with fast forwarding catch-up on-demand content on VM is there's only one speed and there's a bit of lag unlike recorded shows.

The good thing about VM's implementation of adverts in catch-up is that they don't put an unreasonable number of adverts in compared with individual commercial broadcaster's own apps, and if you need to skip later VM don't move the skipped ads later e.g. on other services you could skip 2 ad breaks and get 7 ads as soon as you get to the point you want to watch, VM doesn't do this.