Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why are there still SD Channels and HD Channels?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Why are there still SD Channels and HD Channels?

Old 24-01-2022, 18:30   #1
desi112
cf.member

Services: 200MB VM Cable
desi112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Why are there still SD Channels and HD Channels?

Hi Folks,

I was just wondering why do we still have some channels being broadcast in both SD and HD on cable?

I though everyone on Virgin Media must have a TV that supports HD?....
desi112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-01-2022, 19:14   #2
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Why are there still SD Channels and HD Channels?

It depends on the package you are on whether you get the HD version or not.

The 360 boxes remove one or the other depending on what package you are subscribed to.

eg Sky Showcase SD is on lower packs where HD is on Maxit
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 20:11   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I have several neighbours who don't have HD-capable sets.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 20:15   #4
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi112 View Post
Hi Folks,

I was just wondering why do we still have some channels being broadcast in both SD and HD on cable?

Very doubtful
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 20:36   #5
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Everyone who has TV Services via Virgin Media has a box that supports HD, they don't however need a TV that displays it. Original Tivo boxes have SCART as an option and downscale the picture to output via it if you choose to connect to a television using that type of cable.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 02:38   #6
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

I think it's because currently it's only possible to watch some regional news in standard definition

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 05:58   #7
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
You thought wrong.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 08:13   #8
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP Bundle, with 350Mb BB and 2 x V6 boxes
kgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation erakgollop has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I have several neighbours who don't have HD-capable sets.
I had the Telewest TVDrive 15 years ago and it downscaled BBC HD quite happily to my CRT TV, surely the newer boxes do the same? I can't imagine there are any SD boxes left on the VM network now?
Old 25-01-2022, 10:22   #9
desi112
cf.member

Services: 200MB VM Cable
desi112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the replies I wrongly assumed every VM customer must have the VM V6 box as a minimum therefore are using a HDMI Connection....

I just find it slightly odd that in terms of changing channels to HD on Cable and Freeview things appear to be going at a snails pace. is this probably due to the bandwidth required?
desi112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 10:51   #10
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
I had the Telewest TVDrive 15 years ago and it downscaled BBC HD quite happily to my CRT TV, surely the newer boxes do the same? I can't imagine there are any SD boxes left on the VM network now?
There are no SD-only boxes on VM, haven't been for a while now.

Only the Original VM Tivo has a SCART, all the other models currently supplied by VM only have HDMI output (there are other outputs but they are disabled), so are basically for HD TVs only (unless you get your own converter device/cable).

I've not have my morning coffee, so I await someone pointing out I've got something misremembered somewhere.

---------- Post added at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

Quote:
Thank you for the replies I wrongly assumed every VM customer must have the VM V6 box as a minimum therefore are using a HDMI Connection....

I just find it slightly odd that in terms of changing channels to HD on Cable and Freeview things appear to be going at a snails pace. is this probably due to the bandwidth required?
V6 has basically been the minimum for a while, but TV-Only Customers, still had Original VM Tivo as it doesn't require you to be a Broadband Customer since it has a built-in dedicated internet connection.

Freeview's snail pace is a combination of lack of space and legacy installed equipment, there's (proportionally) a lot of SD-Only Freeview equipment still in use, broadcasters on Digital Terrestrial don't want to lose those viewers, it's the largest platform.

An example: On 1st July 2021 5Select (though it remained SD) moved to a transmission that only works on HD-capable Freeview devices, though had 8% more UK population coverage. Despite it also being available on other platforms like VM, Sky and Freesat, 5Select ratings went down approx 28% in its first few weeks, and they've never fully recovered, they are still 20% down. Those ratings figures are for all platforms, so the Freeview proportion must be bigger and demonstrates the installbase without the required HD equipment.
Old 25-01-2022, 11:19   #11
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post

V6 has basically been the minimum for a while, but TV-Only Customers, still had Original VM Tivo as it doesn't require you to be a Broadband Customer since it has a built-in dedicated internet connection.
My mum has BB but when I ask to change from TiVo to V6 they want to charge more. They replaced like for like sadly when her old box was slowing down to a crawl.

Yes no new TV and BB customer will get a TiVo but legacy treated differently.
Old 25-01-2022, 11:33   #12
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
My mum has BB but when I ask to change from TiVo to V6 they want to charge more. They replaced like for like sadly when her old box was slowing down to a crawl.

Yes no new TV and BB customer will get a TiVo but legacy treated differently.
That surprises me, the service charge for Tivo was the same for Original and V6 to my recollection when we changed, we wouldn't have otherwise. There was a one-off charge, it wasn't for an engineer as it was sent in post and installed by myself.
Old 25-01-2022, 16:01   #13
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
There are no SD-only boxes on VM, haven't been for a while now.
I think it down to broadcaster if both SD and HD are carry by Virgin Media.

Drop SD:
Discovery
BBC
Sky Cinema
BT Sport
A&E
STV

HD comes before SD:
Sky Basic
Sky Sports
ViacomCBS
ITV (Channel 3)
UTV
GOLD (UKTV's)

TV360 broadcasts only HD Channels and drop their SD Channel - if it have a HD Channel.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 16:07   #14
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
That surprises me, the service charge for Tivo was the same for Original and V6 to my recollection when we changed, we wouldn't have otherwise. There was a one-off charge, it wasn't for an engineer as it was sent in post and installed by myself.
Service charge is the same, but it doesn't mean that a TV + BB bundle price is the same between the two.
Old 25-01-2022, 18:54   #15
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

MB, I'm not sure why you quoted me, I was responding to a comment about boxes rather than channels with the bit you quoted.

---------- Post added at 17:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Service charge is the same, but it doesn't mean that a TV + BB bundle price is the same between the two.
Fair enough. I was just going by recollection the bill break down rather than bundle discount.