Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Price Rise in March

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Price Rise in March

Old 25-01-2022, 10:53   #1
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point
Price Rise in March

Hi Good Folks
Forgive my Ignorance but an email states a price increase of £3:25p in March 2022. My 18 month contract runs out on 4th August 2022.
Will this £3:25 be added to my £53 in March or August.

I went through Retentions today in Mannila I think, and lady said I can't do a deal until end of July. Is this correct ? I only have Internet & house phone. Wondering if I cancel house phone will it reduce my bill. With my Energy bill increase and this Virgin increase something has to go before I crack up. I am an OAP. Thank You.
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2022, 15:06   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Price Rise in March

If you have received a letter then the price rise will apply to you. It is an annual thing they hit everyone with and if you read the T&C's of your contract you will see that they reserve the right to increase the cost of your services in line with the retail price index.

You won't get a new deal or price reduction until the end of July because that is when your contract ends and you potentially leave so they'll offer you a new deal in exchange for signing up to a new 18 month contract. You can try dropping the house phone but in my experience dropping items in a bundle saves you very little and they design it deliberately this way. The more you add to a package the more you save and having one service (e.g. bb + line rental or phone + line rental) can sometimes be nearly as expensive as having both. I have got VM tv in my bundle for the sake of having it and it isn't even connected. I have enquired about having it taken off and I think it reduces my from £79/month bill to £76.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 15:48   #3
Bagmanian
cf.member

Bagmanian is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just had the experience of renewing my contract as it was due to end this month. They wanted to charge me £9 extra to end up paying £54. I went through the options to get to option 4 (thinking of leaving). While listening to the options at one point they offered me a £5.40 reductions. I ended speaking to a guy based in London and mentioned the offer who said he could better that and I am now paying £40 a month for phone and internet. I have been with them for 20 odd years.

Seems just luck of the draw. If you end up speaking to Manila maybe it is better putting phone down and trying again later to get someone UK based. The only other thing was I used the landline and rang 150 rather than 0345 454 1111. Don't know if that affects to whom you end up speaking.

Last edited by Bagmanian; 25-01-2022 at 15:54.
Bagmanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 18:01   #4
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

I'm happy to say that I will be leaving Virgin Media on 22nd February, in favour of a nice symmetrical 900Mb connection with Vodafone/City Fibre.

I have been with them since the days when we thought that 1Mb downstream on NTL cable was a revelation. I have no particular complaints about VM except low ping and insufficient upstream for my purposes. I shan't be missing the TV service, which we don't really need, or the increasingly dreadful customer service.

I will be saving £63 a month.
roughbeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 23:40   #5
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Not in a cityfibre area, but I'm also off. Using a nice Sky discount to get the full TV package (except sports/movies) for £23 a month and taking fibre with someone else, and a voip landline for completely free (receive calls only). Disaggregating seems the most sensible these days rather than bundling!
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2022, 12:42   #6
Brunel
Chief Mechanical Engineer

Services: V.M. M. 125 November 6 2018. Finally connected.
Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough

Have just Rx'd my "letter" price increase £3.25//12

I will call & cancel, see what they come up with.

Always worth a try..
Brunel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 03:08   #7
copernob
cf.addict

So the £3:25p will be added to my £53 in March making it £56:25p. So I can only try for a Deal in July then. Unless as you said I phone and say I am leaving. What if they call my Bluff???
Old 29-01-2022, 08:38   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by copernob View Post
So the £3:25p will be added to my £53 in March making it £56:25p. So I can only try for a Deal in July then. Unless as you said I phone and say I am leaving. What if they call my Bluff???
Apparently, what happens is that part way through your notice period, they will call you with a good offer to stay. They say never accept the first offer.

If they don't call or you miss their phone call (so make sure that your phone number is up to date) and you don't want to leave (there are some great deals out there that are worth looking at) you are free to rescind your notice.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 21:31   #9
copernob
cf.addict

Thank You RichardCoulter..Appreciated...
Old 29-01-2022, 21:59   #10
Bagmanian
cf.member

Bagmanian is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by copernob View Post
Given the letter about the increase suggests you might want to change or cancel your package it might be worth giving them a call see what they have to offer now.
Bagmanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:04   #11
tidder23
cf.member

tidder23 is on a distinguished roadtidder23 is on a distinguished road

he provider has confirmed that ALL customers affected by the price increase can leave their contract without paying any early termination charge. Customers will need to contact Virgin Media within 30 days of receiving notification of the price increase to do so

that's the norm for Virgin Media I don't know whether that's a legal requirement they have to do but it's been the norm for the last 10 years for me

got a better deal than I was on when I phoned up

internet research
"Rules set by the regulator Ofcom mean that customers can leave mobile, landline or broadband contracts penalty-free if a provider ups prices mid-term if it's bigger than the RPI rate.

You can cancel your contract and switch to any other provider, as long as you do so within 30 days of being told about the price increase.

But, if your broadband provider has warned you about rises in their terms and conditions and they are in line with RPI, you won’t be able to leave if you’re still locked into a contract. If you do want to leave, you'll have to pay an exit fee.

If you’re outside the minimum term of your contract then you’ll be allowed to leave without paying. You should check with your provider about how much notice you need to give to do this.

"

Last edited by tidder23; 04-02-2022 at 03:11.
tidder23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 15:30   #12
copernob
cf.addict

Too late now Thanks All. I shall pay the increase now then call in when I'm due to renew.