Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Update of RAM

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Update of RAM

Old 04-05-2020, 14:31   #1
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Update of RAM

I have a system with a Intel I7 8700K with 8 gig of RAM, what improvement would see if I updated my system from 8 gig to 16 gig?

I have Win 10, 64 bit pro, MS Office 2016 (Word, Excel, Outlook)

Thanks
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2020, 14:33   #2
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Update of RAM

Hard to say, do you have lots of tabs open at once? Are you constantly using 80%+ of your existing RAM (look at the task manager)? Does your computer seem to be constantly loading?
Old 04-05-2020, 14:58   #3
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
Hard to say, do you have lots of tabs open at once? Are you constantly using 80%+ of your existing RAM (look at the task manager)? Does your computer seem to be constantly loading?

Only the app that I using, I do not use 80% of RAM, Computer is not constantly loading.
Old 04-05-2020, 15:04   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Depends on the price of the RAM - if it’s cheap, extra RAM is always good.

Do you have HDs or SSDs for your drives - SSDs make a big difference.

I use SSDs for boot and games, and standard hard drives for other storage (photos, films/tv, books, pictures, docs).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 15:06   #5
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

In that case I would only expect a small improvement, it wouldn't do harm but it may not be worth the effort/money.
Old 04-05-2020, 16:23   #6
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Depends on the price of the RAM - if it’s cheap, extra RAM is always good.

Do you have HDs or SSDs for your drives - SSDs make a big difference.

I use SSDs for boot and games, and standard hard drives for other storage (photos, films/tv, books, pictures, docs).

The RAM is £34 for 8 gig, my Win 10 is on SSD and a standard drive for storage.

The RAM in the PC is speed is 1087 MHz which is no longer available only 2133 MHz, will the 2133 MHz be ok with the 1087 MHz module?
Old 04-05-2020, 16:26   #7
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
The RAM is £34 for 8 gig, my Win 10 is on SSD and a standard drive for storage.

The RAM in the PC is speed is 1087 MHz which is no longer available only 2133 MHz, will the 2133 MHz be ok with the 1087 MHz module?

I think the faster RAM will only work at the lower RAM speed, assuming it works at all. You really need to have identical modules compatible with the motherboard.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 16:36   #8
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
I think the faster RAM will only work at the lower RAM speed, assuming it works at all. You really need to have identical modules compatible with the motherboard.

Two modules on my pension is too expensive for me, I realize 2 modules of the same type would be best
Old 04-05-2020, 17:21   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Have you tried this?

https://www.crucial.com/store/systemscanner
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 17:36   #10
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Just tried it and it quotes a pair of modules of two sticks of 8 gigram
Old 04-05-2020, 18:51   #11
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

What speed will your motherboard support?

Could you get a single 16GB 2400Mhz stick? Ebuyer have a 2400Mhz 16GB stick for £54.99.

https://www.ebuyer.com/798508-adata-...4u2400316g17-s
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 18:59   #12
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
What speed will your motherboard support?

Could you get a single 16GB 2400Mhz stick? Ebuyer have a 2400Mhz 16GB stick for £54.99.

https://www.ebuyer.com/798508-adata-...4u2400316g17-s
I maybe out of date with memory but don't you have to put matching pairs in to get dual channel support?
Old 05-05-2020, 10:46   #13
Ken W
cf.mega poster

I have weight it all up and I would see very little if any increase in performance so probably not worth it.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:58   #14
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I maybe out of date with memory but don't you have to put matching pairs in to get dual channel support?
Certainly on an AMD platform.

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I have weight it all up and I would see very little if any increase in performance so probably not worth it.
You have to consider the costs and will it improve your performance. That then depends what you use your computer for.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:12   #15
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Certainly on an AMD platform.---------- Post ded at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------
You have to consider the costs and will it improve your performance. That then depends what you use your computer for.

I just use Office 2016, no games