Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 05-07-2015, 21:21   #1681
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread. Many merged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
As I understand the thrust is to make employers pay better wages so that the state doesn't need to supplement them with expensive benefits. What's the problem with that?

Making the poor pay taxes so the state then gives them back the money they should have kept in the first place is just daft. Get the state off the peoples backs.
Yes one would hope that employers would make up the shortfall in peoples salary's but thats a very big if in my book.
Old 06-07-2015, 00:48   #1682
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The Lidl ones are OK.

Over 50% of the population are on some kind of state benefit. Perhaps if that was substantially reduced then those who really need it might not feel the pinch so much.
Might be trickier than it sounds given how many of that 50% are either in work and having derisory wages topped up to pay extortionate rents or retired.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:35   #1683
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Rather enjoyed Brighty's cartoon in my redtop today:

Paywall linky

Last two items bottom right.

butcher_osborne_s.jpg
Old 06-07-2015, 11:40   #1684
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes one would hope that employers would make up the shortfall in peoples salary's but thats a very big if in my book.
Just out of interest, where would all this money come from?

Not all businesses make huge profits you know.

Small businesses with few employees would get rid of staff, I know I would.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:56   #1685
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post

Well they could try putting their prices up but then they'd have the same very same people complaining about the cost of everything going up...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:07   #1686
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Well they could try putting their prices up but then they'd have the same very same people complaining about the cost of everything going up...
Exactly!
Old 06-07-2015, 12:16   #1687
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post

Well GO and DC seems to think employers will take the strain and raise workers wages to cover the tax credit shortfalls but those statements are full of if , buts and maybes be it whether it is a smaller firm or even the larger ones to whether they will raise their workers salaries to make up for this.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:22   #1688
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Well someone will have to pay. More profitable companies may be able to absorb the cost but you can't pay staff out of losses for very long (unless you're in Greece lol) so in respect of those companies struggling to survive, either the ranks of the unemployed will be added to or we'll have to pay more for our goods and services.
Old 06-07-2015, 13:05   #1689
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Loads of businesses will make redundancies.
Loads of people will pack in their jobs.
Loads of businesses will close.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 19:11   #1690
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Let us not forget that there is a Budget coming up.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI7fudmO7FY
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 15:10   #1691
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Hmm, this doesn't sound good.

David Cameron open to idea of workers saving up to fund own sick pay.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...d-own-sick-pay

IDS must have something big on Camoron.
Old 13-07-2015, 15:14   #1692
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

From the article
Quote:
The proposal of fortune accounts for the UK was examined in depth in a paper by the free market libertarian Adam Smith Institute thinktank in 1995, which looked at how people could go to a single private provider for an account that gave them long-term care insurance, disability cover, health insurance, savings fund management and unemployment insurance.
When I had a mortgage, I always had a policy that paid the mortgage if I was sick, unemployed, or died - it's quite common..
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 15:21   #1693
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Will the living wage be worth £9 in five years time!
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2015, 15:59   #1694
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
From the article

When I had a mortgage, I always had a policy that paid the mortgage if I was sick, unemployed, or died - it's quite common..
Unfortunately the banks did much to discredit such insurance with their own PPI scandals.
Old 13-07-2015, 16:07   #1695
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
From the article

Us too. Seemed like a perfectly sensible thing to do...

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:01 ----------

Quote:
Unfortunately the banks did much to discredit such insurance with their own PPI scandals.
Yes and now we're heading towards the point where nobody will be keen to give advice about anything for fear of being sued or otherwise held accountable if it goes wrong 10 years down the line...