Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Slow internet speeds with router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Slow internet speeds with router

Old 08-04-2007, 15:38   #1
jreynolds
Inactive

jreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about them
Slow internet speeds with router

Hi all, just looking for some advice please.

My current network is one computer upstairs beside a Belkin FSD6230-3 router, 802.11b/11Mbps (kinda old I know) with a Belkin wireless FSD6050 adaptor. I also have a laptop that accesses the same connection.

Just been upgraded to 10MB broadband, but when using either the computer or laptop, the best speed I get is 2MB, according to speedtest.net. Tried connecting the PC directly to the modem and get nearly 10MB connection. I figured it might be the wireless network thats the problem so I tried using the only ethernet cable I have, 15 metres long, and connecting it from the PC to the router and my speed is 4MB, not exactly what I would hope for from a 10MB connection.

Does anyone have suggestions what the problem could be? Is the router not good enough to handle the speed? Or could the ethernet cable be too long? Any help would be appreciated, cheers
jreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2007, 15:53   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Slow internet speeds with router

My guess is that router isn't upto the job, so i recommend buying a Linksys WRT54GS as this should work fine and alot of people currently use it on this forum. With 10mbit being upgraded to 20mbit in a few weeks you should change the router to give yourself the best chance of everything working properly.

There is an Easter offer at www.pcworld.co.uk for it at £39.99 so you may wish to consider that.
Old 08-04-2007, 16:31   #3
jreynolds
Inactive

jreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about themjreynolds has a spectacular aura about them

Thanks very much SnoopZ for that fast reply. I guess I'll just have to part with some cash!

I'm actually adding another PC to the network soon and might just use another ethernet cable but if I was going the wireless route would this be the correct adaptor to buy to go with that router?

http://www.linksys.co.uk/acatalog/WUSB54GS.html

I'm also unsure if the new computer has USB 1 or 2, but if its 1 do you know if that would make a significant difference to the internet speed?

Many thanks.
Old 08-04-2007, 16:40   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Any Wireless G (the name of the standard is 802.11G) adaptor will work. G is currently the most popular standard, so pretty much every Wireless card will work.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 16:40   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreynolds View Post
Thanks very much SnoopZ for that fast reply. I guess I'll just have to part with some cash!

I'm actually adding another PC to the network soon and might just use another ethernet cable but if I was going the wireless route would this be the correct adaptor to buy to go with that router?

http://www.linksys.co.uk/acatalog/WUSB54GS.html

I'm also unsure if the new computer has USB 1 or 2, but if its 1 do you know if that would make a significant difference to the internet speed?

Many thanks.
Yes that's the adaptor i'd buy with that router as then you can make use of the speedbooster technology for your network. But any wireless G adaptor should work.

USB 2 is best of course and your new computer will certainly have USB 2 as standard.
Old 08-04-2007, 18:24   #6
jreynolds
Inactive

Thats great SnoopZ, thanks for your help