Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can Router Cope with Speed Increase?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can Router Cope with Speed Increase?

Old 29-09-2006, 17:23   #1
Pø†øƒGøLÐ
Inactive

Services: 10meg BY Cable
Pø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via MSN to Pø†øƒGøLÐ
Can Router Cope with Speed Increase?

I have BY 10meg shared thru a Linksys BEFSX41 wired router. I have seen on another forum that some speedtrials appear to be taking place at a 784k/20meg speed. My router has one 10/100 RJ-45 internet port and modem is webstar DPX100.

Assuming this is to be considered the next stage of speed upgrades (altho we all know how long these things take and no increases have been confirmed) can my router cope with this speed or will I need to change it? If I need to change it, can anyone recommend a router which is compatible (preferably not netgear as I have bad experiences of them). If my modem needs changing I expect BY to swap it as part of the eventual rollout.
Pø†øƒGøLÐ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-09-2006, 18:04   #2
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
Re: Can Router Cope with Speed Increase?

afaik the linksys routers are pretty good in speed wise, shouldnt need to do anything about it if I'm correct. should handle anything up2 30 I would guess. only way to test it really is to connect 1 pc to the wan port with a static ip, another on the lan and send a massive file over. got a proggie at work that would do that automatically 10x or more with large files but not at home.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 18:12   #3
Pø†øƒGøLÐ
Inactive

Services: 10meg BY Cable
Pø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via MSN to Pø†øƒGøLÐ

Sorry - I'm not clear what sending a file between 2 pc here would achieve? I want to know if the router will cope with more incoming downstream (ie greater than 10meg) - so will my "up to 20meg" be close to 20meg or is it stuck at 10meg because the port is 10/100.
Pø†øƒGøLÐ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 18:22   #4
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

pot, if you read it correctly it says to connect 1 pc to the LAN and 1 to the WAN. then you can see if there a bit of a problem in speed
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote