Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes on the High Street

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Changes on the High Street
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2020, 10:52   #526
Taf
cf.mega poster
 
Taf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kairdiff-by-the-sea
Age: 64
Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Posts: 8,576
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Changes on the High Street

Cardiff's "High Street" in front of the castle has been turned into a covered al fresco dining area for 240. Orders by mobile phone app only.

Where will the traffic go?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-07-2020, 11:17   #527
Carth
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: At the Leaving door
Posts: 1,732
Carth has reached the bronze age
Carth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze age
Re: Changes on the High Street

High St Shopping:
You can see, feel, check for size/colour, consider quality, browse easily, and items are normally in stock.
You can take purchases home that day, or arrange delivery to suit for larger items.
You can socialise/meet & greet with other shoppers.
Downside is you have to leave the comfort of your home.

Online Shopping:
Pick what you want from who/where you want, at the price you want.
Arrange (and pay) for delivery, and hope it gets delivered correctly and undamaged.
Be prepared for disappointment if the item(s) ordered are wrong, crap quality or damaged, and consider the hassle and possible costs of returning the item(s) . . then wait another week for replacements/refunds (did you read the T&C? )
All done from the comfort of the home/car/garden shed/office/train/airport etc, secure in the knowledge that those nasty internet scammers have no way to steal any info.

Bet you can't guess my preference
__________________
'The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it' ~ T. Pratchett
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 11:35   #528
nomadking
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
Posts: 6,144
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
Re: Changes on the High Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Amazon does several things. It's correct to describe it as a marketplace and a fufiller. But it's incorrect to say Amazon doesn't sell anything. Capitalising something unfortunately does not make it correct. This is the extensive Amazon basics range, for example, https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Amaz...7?ref_=ast_bln
The overwhelming majority of products on Amazon, are not sold by Amazon UK.
Then they will pay tax on those specific sales, just the same as ANY other seller. Where is the evidence to the contrary? NO TAX DODGED in any way.

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
High St Shopping:
You can see, feel, check for size/colour, consider quality, browse easily, and items are normally in stock.
You can take purchases home that day, or arrange delivery to suit for larger items.
You can socialise/meet & greet with other shoppers.
Downside is you have to leave the comfort of your home.

Online Shopping:
Pick what you want from who/where you want, at the price you want.
Arrange (and pay) for delivery, and hope it gets delivered correctly and undamaged.
Be prepared for disappointment if the item(s) ordered are wrong, crap quality or damaged, and consider the hassle and possible costs of returning the item(s) . . then wait another week for replacements/refunds (did you read the T&C? )
All done from the comfort of the home/car/garden shed/office/train/airport etc, secure in the knowledge that those nasty internet scammers have no way to steal any info.

Bet you can't guess my preference
Then again, everything but your first item about online shopping, also applies to the high street. How many different places have there ever been on the high street selling the same goods? Trudging around from shop to shop in the vain hope somebody has the item you are looking for and at a price you're willing to pay, doesn't sound like much fun.

Last edited by nomadking; 30-07-2020 at 11:40.
nomadking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 11:36   #529
Carth
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: At the Leaving door
Posts: 1,732
Carth has reached the bronze age
Carth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze age
Re: Changes on the High Street

I find no difference between Amazon and Ebay, both 'sell' new and used stuff from a variety of sellers/agents, sometimes at strange and whacky prices

I don't use either, but am often directed there by the marketing used
__________________
'The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it' ~ T. Pratchett
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 11:42   #530
Sephiroth
Simples
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AC68U. BT Infinity2; Tivo; V6; XL Phone; Devolo 1200AV
Posts: 7,517
Sephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronze
Sephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronze
Re: Changes on the High Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Indeed. There is a lot more to come.

However, there is also a lot to come about what do we do to facilitate the recovery of the High Street.

I'd welcome that to reform the tax system against online conglomerates, who largely shift their tax burden offshore, in favour of local people in local communities running local businesses.

I look forward to the emerging forum consensus congregating around this... Carth, Seph, Nomad, Pierre (maybe) and the traditional socialist wing, myself, den, andrew, ianch. We all like this idea. Maybe not Old Boy....

Local jobs in local communities...
Hmmmm.
__________________
Seph.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 12:44   #531
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,433
jfman has reached the bronze age
jfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze age
Re: Changes on the High Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Amazon does several things. It's correct to describe it as a marketplace and a fufiller. But it's incorrect to say Amazon doesn't sell anything. Capitalising something unfortunately does not make it correct. This is the extensive Amazon basics range, for example, https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Amaz...7?ref_=ast_bln
Indeed. And even where they are a middle man this is still a service.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 14:24   #532
Carth
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: At the Leaving door
Posts: 1,732
Carth has reached the bronze age
Carth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze age
Re: Changes on the High Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Then again, everything but your first item about online shopping, also applies to the high street. How many different places have there ever been on the high street selling the same goods? Trudging around from shop to shop in the vain hope somebody has the item you are looking for and at a price you're willing to pay, doesn't sound like much fun.
I guess I'm just an old fashioned 'right first time' sort of bloke, as opposed to taking pot luck on a desirable outcome
__________________
'The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it' ~ T. Pratchett
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 14:32   #533
nomadking
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
Posts: 6,144
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
Re: Changes on the High Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I guess I'm just an old fashioned 'right first time' sort of bloke, as opposed to taking pot luck on a desirable outcome
So you've never bought anything from a shop, and found out it didn't work, was damaged, or even mysteriously has the guarantee form filled out with somebody elses name and address? Cards can be skimmed in shops, their databases of transactions hacked etc.



Never had a reason to regret or return an item bought via eBay or Amazon. It's the trudging around shops searching for an item, that I have often regretted.
nomadking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 18:06   #534
Carth
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: At the Leaving door
Posts: 1,732
Carth has reached the bronze age
Carth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze ageCarth has reached the bronze age
Re: Changes on the High Street

It's only my shopping preference, others do whatever they like

lots of other things in life I don't get on with too, as a grumpy old man I'm allowed
__________________
'The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it' ~ T. Pratchett
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 18:43   #535
Taf
cf.mega poster
 
Taf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kairdiff-by-the-sea
Age: 64
Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Posts: 8,576
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Changes on the High Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Cardiff's "High Street" in front of the castle has been turned into a covered al fresco dining area for 240. Orders by mobile phone app only.
And now pubs and indoor restaurants in Wales can open from Monday. What a waste of money. Do those in charge ever talk to each other about their plans?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 20:40   #536
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!
 
pip08456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barry South Wales
Age: 64
Services: Now back with VM for BB & phone. 50Mb service.
Posts: 9,408
pip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Changes on the High Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
And now pubs and indoor restaurants in Wales can open from Monday. What a waste of money. Do those in charge ever talk to each other about their plans?
Don't be silly Taf, that's too simple!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 22:41   #537
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,433
jfman has reached the bronze age
jfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze age
Re: Changes on the High Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
And now pubs and indoor restaurants in Wales can open from Monday. What a waste of money. Do those in charge ever talk to each other about their plans?
It’s still desirable for folk to go for al fresco dining. It could increase “safe” capacity, and there’s no reason not to welcome it regardless.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 13:18   #538
Hom3r
Proud Ex EU Citizen.
 
Hom3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 51
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB Tivo, , SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 15,587
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Changes on the High Street

I always do my food shop myself (apart from when I was self-isolating, my sister did it for me.)


I do buy a lot from Amazon, mainly because no shops near me sold it, like when I wanted port dust caps, Maplins were the obvious choice, but alas they didn't sell it.

So I went to Amazon, and had it shipped from China.
__________________
STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. . Twitter Facebook
My Blog
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 14:28   #539
ianch99
cf.mega poster
 
ianch99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,074
ianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appeal
ianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appealianch99 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Changes on the High Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Indeed. There is a lot more to come.

However, there is also a lot to come about what do we do to facilitate the recovery of the High Street.

I'd welcome that to reform the tax system against online conglomerates, who largely shift their tax burden offshore, in favour of local people in local communities running local businesses.

I look forward to the emerging forum consensus congregating around this... Carth, Seph, Nomad, Pierre (maybe) and the traditional socialist wing, myself, den, andrew, ianch. We all like this idea. Maybe not Old Boy....

Local jobs in local communities...
Reform of the Tax System .. now there is an easy task It is a bit like reform of the voting system. In both cases, there is clear and compelling evidence to those with an objective and unbiased view that they need to happen. The problem is, as it has always been, is the minority of the populace that in whose interests that the status quo remains and, more significantly, the ability of said (even smaller) minority to convince people, though misinformation & misdirection, that reform is a "bad thing".

When the power is in the hands of those who do not want change, change is difficult.

This is the sort of bold thinking that can help with the funding of the Covid black hole and as a result help to fund the radical rethinking of the city & town centres.

Think-tank outlines £421bn Property Capital Gains Tax to cover Covid-19 costs

Quote:
A new report from the Social Market Foundation says tens of billions of pounds of new taxes should be levied on increases in the value of homes to ensure the costs of the coronavirus crisis "do not fall unfairly on younger people".

The report recommends that the Treasury should raise £421 billion over the next 25 years by imposing a new 'Property Capital Gains Tax' on all homes sold in the UK. It says the tax could be set at 10% of the increase in the value of the property since it was last sold.
__________________
pfsense + BT Whole Home WiFi
ianch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 17:08   #540
OLD BOY
Just shield those at risk
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Maxit TV; Now TV, Amazon, Netflix, Starzplay, Apple TV; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 10,915
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
Re: Changes on the High Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Reform of the Tax System .. now there is an easy task It is a bit like reform of the voting system. In both cases, there is clear and compelling evidence to those with an objective and unbiased view that they need to happen. The problem is, as it has always been, is the minority of the populace that in whose interests that the status quo remains and, more significantly, the ability of said (even smaller) minority to convince people, though misinformation & misdirection, that reform is a "bad thing".

When the power is in the hands of those who do not want change, change is difficult.

This is the sort of bold thinking that can help with the funding of the Covid black hole and as a result help to fund the radical rethinking of the city & town centres.

Think-tank outlines £421bn Property Capital Gains Tax to cover Covid-19 costs
There is no point in changing anything unless it is for the better.

As far as the voting system is concerned, although many can see the argument behind proportional representation for example, the public really would not appreciate a perpetual hung parliament as we had in the last year before Brexit. That is what we would get. Our present system may not seem fair to some, but at least it tends to produce strong governments with a working majority.

I would support some changes in taxation to help the High Street provided they were fair and proportionate to the Amazons of this world, but I think we should bear in mind that if such changes are an impediment to change, that would not be desirable. Just like changing the voting system, such changes could produce unintended consequences that the public would not support.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:19.


Server: curium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.