Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL + Router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL + Router?

Old 03-05-2005, 21:30   #16
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone
Re: NTL + Router?

Maybe watching the footy
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2005, 21:34   #17
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Maybe, or maybe watching the thread Name's at the bottom anyhow
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 23:09   #18
Ansette
Inactive

Services: 1mb
Ansette is an unknown quantity at this point

lol to be honest i was actually distracted away from t'internet lol... but amazingly... im currently sitting away from the router on my laptop as lo and behold turning the modem off appears to have given a gateway... wow... so simple and yet it's taken 2months for it to work... thanks so much for all your help... even if im actually embaressed by how simple the solution was... lol

ps i dont believe i was actually reading the thread... was still online though... communicating via MSN Messenger lol...
Ansette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 23:12   #19
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Glad you got it sorted.

What happens is that the modem reports the identity of the machine connected to it to NTL's network.

From that point on it assumes that only that machine will be connected.

When you connected the router it got all confused as the router's identity didn't match your computer's.

Rebooting the modem clears the table that contains your computer's identity, letting it settle and then turning the router on will allow it to register the router as the device that it is now connected to.

After that your router just tales care of everything else.

Like I said, glad it's all sorted. Hope to see you around here a bit more.

Raist.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2006, 12:38   #20
lauzjp
Inactive

Services: 5mb 3 mobile broadband, sky, freeview
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to lauzjp

My other half got a laptop from work, it is old, but we wanted to connect it to the net as well as our pc, so he bought a sitecom dc-200 (v5) router. Presently, the pc accepts it, but the laptop dies and tries to re-load. It says something about not enough ____ to perform the operation, or something. Does this mean we need to add more memory to the laptop, or what? Please help, I'm asking on here cos my other half gets all stroppy when I make suggestions or ask questions.
lauzjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2006, 13:05   #21
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

when you say the laptop is old... how old? which version of windows? which processor? how much RAM?

presumably you are going from the router to laptop via ethernet?
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2006, 13:21   #22
lauzjp
Inactive

lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze

hello one of the wise ones! it is an ibm thinkpad 600e 2645, we have xp on the laptop and the pc. it has a pentium 2 processor and I'm really not sure how much RAM - the basic that came with it originally methinks.. and yes, going from the router to laptop via ethernet.
Old 19-06-2006, 13:30   #23
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

i see. when exactly does the error message occur? is it when you connect the ethernet cable in, or the first time that you try to open internet explorer or at some other time?
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2006, 21:17   #24
lauzjp
Inactive

Talking Re: NTL + Router?

heehee - the stroppy one did as he was told and read through links i'd left for him, and lo it seems the set up is now working - hurrah! thanks for being there though. oh and apparently the battery being dead (while using the ac adaptor) causes the laptop to die as mentioned in previous post. how weird is that...