Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Old 08-11-2017, 00:42   #91
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all
Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

I don't think ITV actually shows anything i watch...
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2017, 00:58   #92
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
I don't think ITV actually shows anything!

Sorted that for you......
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:03   #93
johnathome
cf.geek

johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Old 08-11-2017, 01:17   #94
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
My idea of making ITV responsible for individual collection of those who choose to take ITV as a ppv channel is the best idea.

A second option would be for virgin to agree to pay the £80m and charge ITV £150m for access to Virgin's system.
Gosh that's even higher than the £120m I suggested earlier. I have to admit, I prefer your figure. In fact, let's make it £160m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Then itv would say no thanks
Fine. ITV are complaining about the large number of viewers getting their PSB service for free on VM, let's see how they explain the loss of that large amount of viewers to their advertisers. Advertisers certainly aren't going to continue paying the same amount for an advertising slot with a (potentially) significantly reduced audience.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:55   #95
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

AFAIK VM take ITV SD from the Astra satellite and ITV HD is line fed.

I wonder if VM contingency plans mean taking the FTA HD feed from Astra?? Presumably if they refuse to pay the retransmission fee, ITV would cut the line feed off.

But wouldn't this still mean that VM are retransmitting the channel and leave them open to legal action?

I wonder if this will mean us losing ITV2 HD, ITV3 HD and ITV4 HD as these are encrypted on satellite.

Also, I wondered if their contingency plans somehow meant them taking a non Astra satellite feed to get round the issue, but the only non Astra satellites that carry ITV are encrypted and meant for our forces based overseas (BFBS).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:03   #96
johnathome
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

But wouldn't this still mean that VM are retransmitting the channel and leave them open to legal action?
A few years ago there was a streaming site and app that showed most of the freeview channels, they got taken to court by the broadcasters as it was an unauthorised retransmission. They lost and had to stop showing all the channels apart from the main ones, BBC1, ITV1, CH4 and CH5.

I can't for the life of me remember what the site/app was called but after that court ruling VM would be able to retransmit the ITV channel i'm sure.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:22   #97
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
A few years ago there was a streaming site and app that showed most of the freeview channels, they got taken to court by the broadcasters as it was an unauthorised retransmission. They lost and had to stop showing all the channels apart from the main ones, BBC1, ITV1, CH4 and CH5.

I can't for the life of me remember what the site/app was called but after that court ruling VM would be able to retransmit the ITV channel i'm sure.
Wasn't it TVCatchup?

https://tvcatchup.com

Edit: Looks like it's as you say, just channels 1-5 now (plus some extra ones like shopping channels that would be happy to give permission).

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 08-11-2017 at 02:27.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:05   #98
jj20x

Quote:
AFAIK VM take ITV SD from the Astra satellite and ITV HD is line fed.
I'm not sure about that. I know that VM doesn't have all of the ITV +1 regional variations available on other platforms. Presumably if filling in the gaps is as simple as taking the missing feeds from Astra they would have done that already.

Quote:
I wonder if VM contingency plans mean taking the FTA HD feed from Astra?? Presumably if they refuse to pay the retransmission fee, ITV would cut the line feed off.

That's up to the courts and/or up to the Government to be more specific about the legislation. Which, of course, should have happened at the Bill stage. This is hardly an unforeseen outcome of the legislation.

Quote:
I wonder if this will mean us losing ITV2 HD, ITV3 HD and ITV4 HD as these are encrypted on satellite.
It shouldn't as those channels are subject to an existing, apparently long-term, contract.

Quote:
Also, I wondered if their contingency plans somehow meant them taking a non Astra satellite feed to get round the issue, but the only non Astra satellites that carry ITV are encrypted and meant for our forces based overseas (BFBS).
My personal preference is for ITV to cut the feed and be left to suffer a loss of advertising revenue until they come to their senses. Certainly don't allow them to return to VM without paying a penalty charge for the inconvenience caused. Then encourage third parties to take action against ITV for not upholding the "must offer" requirement of their PSB licence.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:09   #99
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
The World Cup Finals are a protected sporting event which has to be made available free to air by ITV to at least 95% of UK households under the Digital Economy Bill. Virgin Media's 3.8 million TV customers account for nearly 15% of total UK households. Virgin could argue a blackout of ITV on their platform could result in ITV not maintaining their obligation to reach 95% of UK households. Virgin could also argue if ITV start charging a rebroadcast fee, which Virgin have to pass onto their customers, then ITV are not technically delivering the World Cup on a free to air basis on the Virgin Media platform.

I'm sure I'm just looking at this at a very basic level however the Digital Economy Bill was brought in to safe guard key cultural sporting from disappearing behind a paywall and making sure the events are made available easily to the widest possible audience.
ITV could argue they are providing to VM customers, they just need an aerial & TV like everyone else.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:31   #100
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
ITV could argue they are providing to VM customers, they just need an aerial & TV like everyone else.
Exactly, we don't need ITV main channel as much as ITV needs us viewers, as others have said loss of viewers = loss of advertising revenue.

Certainly hope VM calls their bluff.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:52   #101
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Itv can't cut the feed. Freesat uses it
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 13:50   #102
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Itv can't cut the feed. Freesat uses it
I meant the line feed as opposed to the satellite signal.

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 ----------

Actually, this thing about VM showing one ITV region across the whole country is probably a tactic being threatened by them.

There is no technical reason why Virgin Media couldn't take FTA satellite feeds for all of the regions, the UK wide thing sounds like a clever threat to scare ITV into backing down.

Very few viewers would quit Virgin because they couldn't get their own region because most of the output is now exactly the same, however, ITV's advertising revenues would be seriously harmed.

It would also be a lot simpler for Virgin to only use one region should it go down this route.

The only thing that viewers might miss would be the local news; with many switching to the BBC.
Old 08-11-2017, 15:19   #103
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I meant the line feed as opposed to the satellite signal.

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 ----------

Actually, this thing about VM showing one ITV region across the whole country is probably a tactic being threatened by them.

There is no technical reason why Virgin Media couldn't take FTA satellite feeds for all of the regions, the UK wide thing sounds like a clever threat to scare ITV into backing down.

Very few viewers would quit Virgin because they couldn't get their own region because most of the output is now exactly the same, however, ITV's advertising revenues would be seriously harmed.

It would also be a lot simpler for Virgin to only use one region should it go down this route.

The only thing that viewers might miss would be the local news; with many switching to the BBC.
I agree with this. I would not miss having my own region these days and I shouldn't think that too many people would be bothered about it either.

In my opinion, the BBC regional news programmes are better than ITV's anyway. If this is ITV's key bargaining chip, it's the least convincing negotiating ploy I've ever seen! ITV is overreaching itself, methinks.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 16:52   #104
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Regional news usually = Murder, rape, GBH and local non-entities, Really depresses me and its the same in each region !
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 17:30   #105
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Regional news usually = Murder, rape, GBH and local non-entities, Really depresses me and its the same in each region !
Yes, if only they would leave out the local non-entities!

Seriously, though, it's depressing to see what the news has come to, I agree. When I was a kid, I was allowed to watch the news, but these days they just seem to report the violence, political indiscretions and child abuse. I wouldn't allow kids to watch the local or national news these days. I think they should keep all that stuff out of the daytime/early evening schedules when children could be watching. There's plenty of other stuff they could be reporting on, but they seem to go for the salacious material that will help to prevent butterfly minded people from channel-hopping away. Pandering to the lowest common denominator, as usual.

From my own personal point of view, if they took ITV off VM, it would make no difference to me as I record all the terrestrial programmes I watch onto my DVD recorder via my aerial. I only record those channels onto the V6 if they are programmes my wife wants to watch as she cannot cope with recordings on the DVD recorder! I feel a training session coming on!

Last edited by OLD BOY; 08-11-2017 at 17:37.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote