Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Local TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Is this similar to VM O2's upcoming IPTV box?

Old 20-10-2021, 11:56   #1
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Is this similar to VM O2's upcoming IPTV box?

New Android box launched by Liberty Global's Swiss subsidiary.
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021...ndroid-tv-box/
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-10-2021, 12:03   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Is this similar to VM O2's upcoming IPTV box?

The trial is still under NDA at the moment so cannot say
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 13:42   #3
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the roughTimeLord2018 is a jewel in the rough

That appears to be Android TV powered rather than Horizon 4K mini TV box
https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2020...r-set-top-box/
TimeLord2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 13:34   #4
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
The trial is still under NDA at the moment so cannot say
Will the new IPTV thing have missing channels on it like Sky Glass?

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/sky-glass-channels-missing
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 14:05   #5
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Most likely. It seems the channels which are missing on Glass are those that don't have streaming rights for and so are missing on SkyGo too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post

ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2021, 16:30   #6
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Most likely. It seems the channels which are missing on Glass are those that don't have streaming rights for and so are missing on SkyGo too.
My guess is VM's IPTV thing will have much the same channel availability as what is available on their TV Go App, there seems to be similar missing channels as Sky Glass e.g. no Great! Movies/TV or Pop/Tiny Pop.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 10:15   #7
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Some more details here on the IPTV offering, Stream
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-for-free.html

It uses modified software on 360 mini boxes and is only available to VM broadband customers - so presumably its a retention/upsell product. The package prices look a little expensive compared to Now TV, though again with it only being available to VM broadband customers, maybe they think customers are more likely to be loyal to the Virgin Media brand, or less likely to go elsewhere if only subscribing for a month or two.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 12:44   #8
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Thanks for link Inactive Digital.

To me the apparently free element may be the most popular part, people who only have VM Broadband using it to get better picture quality and streaming onto their 2nd and 3rd (etc) televisions. I don't see many taking up the bolt-ons, unless they use it on their main TV.

I suppose keeping it purposefully niche VM can test their systems, and switch over TV360 customers to IP once they are happy they can scale it, and it's suitably reliable. A continuing test under the guise of a different product.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 13:13   #9
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

It says in that report that you can add and remove content monthly which is true but it all also requires the 30 day notice to remove it again which sucks. Only way to get it for just a month is to add it and then put the notice in the same time
Old 23-10-2021, 13:17   #10
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

It's something I'd consider in the future - depending on cost and availability for existing customers. I've just renewed my Sky Q contract but, for the first time, questioned whether I needed it. In terms of regular viewing, we're watching more and more Netflix and Disney+, with the odd Sky series and the rest is mainly FTA channels. Stream sounds ideal - voice control for my 6yo, the ability to dip in and out of Sky content as and when desired(assuming the entertainment channels are included), apps aggregated on one device. The drawbacks at present - no Disney+ and no recording/cloud storage (Harry Potter films are very popular in my house and we rely on ITV recordings.)

This could be VM fighting back against the likes of Now and the rumoured Sky IPTV box. There's a risk that VM broadband customers not wanting a full TV package sign up to Now TV and Sky are able to cross-sell their own broadband product. This is my supposition - I've no idea how big such an issue might be, but good to see VM developing this new product and I'd like to get my hands on one and find out more about it (I wasn't eligible for the trial because I have a VM phone line, which doesn't make sense to me but hey ho.)

---------- Post added at 12:17 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

Quote:
It says in that report that you can add and remove content monthly which is true but it all also requires the 30 day notice to remove it again which sucks. Only way to get it for just a month is to add it and then put the notice in the same time
Hopefully it'll be a similar solution to Now, where you can add and remove content through your online account, making it a little easier.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 13:24   #11
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post

Hopefully it'll be a similar solution to Now, where you can add and remove content through your online account, making it a little easier.
you can but as I say it is all a 30 day rolling contract so at any point they want 30 days notice so if you only want it for a month say over the festive period you would need to add it then put the notice in the same day
Old 23-10-2021, 14:05   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Why is that a problem? If you only want to subscribe for a month, unsubscribing immediately avoids you forgetting to do it at the end of the month.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 16:05   #13
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Why is that a problem? If you only want to subscribe for a month, unsubscribing immediately avoids you forgetting to do it at the end of the month.
It is not really a problem if it was clearly explained to people who have not had experience of VMs contractual fun and games. A lot of people just think when they are told you can have it for month you can actually just have it for a month only to find at the end of the month they are stuck for another one. This is why I hate VM as a company.

They even made me give a 30 day notice to move to a new package last contract renegotiation so now I have a sim running a month earlier than my internet even though the sim is part of the same package. Go figure
Old 23-10-2021, 18:17   #14
Foo Fighter
cf.addict

Foo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enough

The virgin streaming box is priced out the market anyway, nowtv is much much cheaper.
Foo Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 17:05   #15
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

But how many non-Sky channels are on the nowtv system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter View Post
The virgin streaming box is priced out the market anyway, nowtv is much much cheaper.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote