Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 12:02   #7276
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Brexit

There is a common travel area within the entire British Isles and you do not need a passport in order to fulfil immigration requirements, but if you’re using an airline, rather than a ferry, both immigration and the airline itself may demand to see photographic ID.

I spent a couple of years traveling to and from Dublin once a fortnight on Aer Lingus. Both the airline and the Glasgow and Dublin immigration desks were happy with my driving licence.
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2019, 12:13   #7277
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I think you are being too simplistic, maybe disingenuously even.

Resentments lie deep in the psyche which is stronger as the attached ancestral history extends. It's obvious that Varadkar has adopted the resentments.

As to Javid, we're talking about antagonisms here - not the status of British ethnic individuals. I hope he cheers the England cricket team.

So you keep saying, but I have seen no evidence of it amongst the Irish I know - however, I have seen lots of resentment from you towards the Irish, French, and Germans, so perhaps you are projecting?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:15   #7278
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Even before we both joined the EU, I believe that since the 1930's the UK & Ireland have had a reciprocal agreement where people are free to live between the two countries. I was also under the impression that a passport wasn't needed.

I'm thinking of visiting Ireland when i'm well enough (it will be after Brexut day) and initially thought that I wouldn't need to renew my passport but, apparently, the airlines sometimes insist on a passport!?
Yeah, some airlines will only accept a passport as ID - Ryanair comes to mind. Others are OK with photo ID (British Airways, Aer Lingus for example) Best check with your airline...
Old 04-02-2019, 13:00   #7279
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There is a common travel area within the entire British Isles and you do not need a passport in order to fulfil immigration requirements, but if you’re using an airline, rather than a ferry, both immigration and the airline itself may demand to see photographic ID.

I spent a couple of years traveling to and from Dublin once a fortnight on Aer Lingus. Both the airline and the Glasgow and Dublin immigration desks were happy with my driving licence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Yeah, some airlines will only accept a passport as ID - Ryanair comes to mind. Others are OK with photo ID (British Airways, Aer Lingus for example) Best check with your airline...
Thanks, it seems that different airlines have different rules then. I take it that the ferry don't require a passport, but will presumably want photo ID?

Does anyone know how long it takes on a ferry? It might be easier for me, depending upon how long it takes. I've only ever been via British Airways and don't recall them ever needing a passport, but assumed that this was because both countries were in the EU.

I was once told that, technically, you don't even need a passport to travel to any other EU country, but in practice this is likely to cause problems. If countries are going to circumvent the freedom of movement rules, it makes a mockery of them and makes the whole thing pointless!
Old 04-02-2019, 13:23   #7280
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
So you keep saying, but I have seen no evidence of it amongst the Irish I know - however, I have seen lots of resentment from you towards the Irish, French, and Germans, so perhaps you are projecting?
But are both of them a big enough sample to arrive at a conclusion.
Old 04-02-2019, 13:45   #7281
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
The onus here is on Seph to support his statement with evidence, not the other way round.
Old 04-02-2019, 14:01   #7282
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Couldn't the common travel area be used as a way to resolve the Irish border problem ie if the UK is no longer part of the EU, couldn't things carry on as they were because of this?

I'm sure it's not that simple though, or politicians/civil servants would have thought of this already.
Old 04-02-2019, 14:12   #7283
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I think we all know he can’t, at ps is just joking with reference to polls.

The Sinn Fein President was on Marr who suggested they take their seats in the House of Commons and she quite rightly said they have no business in a British Parliament and that it should look after itself and Ireland look after itself. Not an unreasonable proposition, and one that would be likely supported by Brexiteers but for the fact they have to pay lip service to the DUP.

---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

Quote:
Couldn't the common travel area be used as a way to resolve the Irish border problem ie if the UK is no longer part of the EU, couldn't things carry on as they were because of this?

I'm sure it's not that simple though, or politicians/civil servants would have thought of this already.
The problem isn’t people, it’s goods and services.

The EU don’t want us as a back door for any old crap (chlorinated chicken etc.) entering the EU.
Old 04-02-2019, 14:18   #7284
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
I'm from an Irish Catholic family - two kids are the minimum per offspring - i'm one of five (surviving) siblings, I have four offspring (from two marriages), oldest brother has three offspring, next bro has two, next bro has five, sister has three, and my dad one of of 8 children, and my mum one of six, all of whom are similar numbers of offspring (and that's not counting all the second cousins and friends) - and that's just the immediate family and friends, not counting relatives back in Ireland.

Your premise is not based on actuality...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 04-02-2019, 16:50   #7285
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I'm from an Irish Catholic family - two kids are the minimum per offspring - i'm one of five (surviving) siblings, I have four offspring (from two marriages), oldest brother has three offspring, next bro has two, next bro has five, sister has three, and my dad one of of 8 children, and my mum one of six, all of whom are similar numbers of offspring (and that's not counting all the second cousins and friends) - and that's just the immediate family and friends, not counting relatives back in Ireland.

Your premise is not based on actuality...
If any of your parents or grandparents were Irish, you will be entitled to Irish citizenship and/or an Irish passport if you want them. Unless you did this before your children were born, you wouldn't be able to pass this on to them though.

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

Northern Ireland voted to remain, I wonder if they've considered a way round this to be to allow NI to stay in the EU??

However, this could then result in England, Wales and Scotland calling to remain as well (if any of these countries voted to remain too).

Edit: Scotland voted to remain, whilst Wales and England both voted to leave.

If NI was allowed to stay in the EU as a country, I suspect that Scottish remainers would call for the the same arrangement to also be applied to Scotland.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 04-02-2019 at 16:57. Reason: Added broken down referendum results.
Old 04-02-2019, 17:02   #7286
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The SNP have been calling for any special arrangement for Northern Ireland (e.g. staying in the customs union) to apply to Scotland. However the DUP won’t allow special arrangements for NI. They’d collapse the Government first.
Old 04-02-2019, 17:04   #7287
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The onus here is on Seph to support his statement with evidence, not the other way round.
I provided a link to a Torygraph article.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 04-02-2019, 17:11   #7288
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
If any of your parents or grandparents were Irish, you will be entitled to Irish citizenship and/or an Irish passport if you want them. Unless you did this before your children were born, you wouldn't be able to pass this on to them though.

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

Northern Ireland voted to remain, I wonder if they've considered a way round this to be to allow NI to stay in the EU??

However, this could then result in England, Wales and Scotland calling to remain as well (if any of these countries voted to remain too).

Edit: Scotland voted to remain, whilst Wales and England both voted to leave.

If NI was allowed to stay in the EU as a country, I suspect that Scottish remainers would call for the the same arrangement to also be applied to Scotland.
None of the home nations voted for anything.

This was a United Kingdom ballot on a matter concerning the United Kingdom. Every U.K. voter cast a single vote of equal worth, on an issue which they understood would apply to the whole U.K. In Scotland in particular, when the independence vote was held in September 2014 the EU referendum was already a policy the Tory party was publicly committed to pursue after the 2015 general election. Nobody in Scotland can claim they didn’t know that remaining in the U.K. entailed a vote on whether the U.K. would remain in the EU, regardless of anything any outraged, spinning nationalist politician might tell you.

To say that Scotland voted for one thing or another is to co-opt the votes of everyone in Scotland who voted the other way. Co-opting voices and claiming their support is a trick right out of the nationalist playbook, as is demanding that things be done differently on their turf, because it serves the longer term aim of differentiation.

Yes, the SNP would demand Scotland be treated differently if Northern Ireland was, but that demand would have nothing to do with the very particular circumstances of Northern Ireland and everything to do with trying to create similar circumstances in Scotland.

Last edited by Chris; 04-02-2019 at 17:14.
Old 04-02-2019, 17:33   #7289
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
None of the home nations voted for anything.

This was a United Kingdom ballot on a matter concerning the United Kingdom. Every U.K. voter cast a single vote of equal worth, on an issue which they understood would apply to the whole U.K. In Scotland in particular, when the independence vote was held in September 2014 the EU referendum was already a policy the Tory party was publicly committed to pursue after the 2015 general election. Nobody in Scotland can claim they didn’t know that remaining in the U.K. entailed a vote on whether the U.K. would remain in the EU, regardless of anything any outraged, spinning nationalist politician might tell you.

To say that Scotland voted for one thing or another is to co-opt the votes of everyone in Scotland who voted the other way. Co-opting voices and claiming their support is a trick right out of the nationalist playbook, as is demanding that things be done differently on their turf, because it serves the longer term aim of differentiation.

Yes, the SNP would demand Scotland be treated differently if Northern Ireland was, but that demand would have nothing to do with the very particular circumstances of Northern Ireland and everything to do with trying to create similar circumstances in Scotland.
I don't think it will happen tbh, also, if NI was treated differently to the rest of the UK, the DUP would probably object. I only hope that, whatever happens, the troubles don't resurface.

The whole thing seems to be more complicated than what a lot of people realised, apparent solutions to various issues only serve to be objectionable to others.
Old 04-02-2019, 17:39   #7290
jfman
Architect of Ideas

If the troubles do arise it’s because England are ignoring the will of the island of Ireland. So not entirely new that trouble flares elsewhere because of bad decisions made in London. That’s virtually the whole collapse of the Empire in a nutshell.
Closed Thread