Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | An email from Neil Berkett re: VM HD Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

An email from Neil Berkett re: VM HD Channels

Old 18-04-2009, 09:48   #121
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads
Re: An email from Neil Berkett re: VM HD Channels

No, the smart money is on the words from the Cable Forum Team posting here. Read between the lines of their (informed) comments...
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-04-2009, 14:55   #122
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmitage View Post
I'd be suprised if the vast majority of V+ boxes weren't purchased for their pvr functionality rather than HD.

Certainly when I purchased my TV drive, as was called then, there was hardly any mention of it's HD capability, but screeds about it's pvr ability.
Which isn't relevant. The fact is that it offers HD, so they will be charging for it regardless of whether you actually use it, or signed up for the service because it offers HD or not.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 20:32   #123
moroboshi
Inactive

moroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
No, the smart money is on the words from the Cable Forum Team posting here. Read between the lines of their (informed) comments...
They've been saying HD is 'coming soon' for almost as long as Virgin have.

For comedy value I had a look at what Virgin had in their HD on demand section last night. 5 or 6 shows, that's it. Not even a full page of entries. But then they *are* pushing HD VOD over linear HD, so I can see how they have managed to amass such an incredible all encompassing selection. I was truly stunned.
moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 22:23   #124
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Well lets put it this way, l would rather trust an engineer, than a CS from VM.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 22:31   #125
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Why? They're each no less trustworthy, since information tends to get leaked to the public before CS reps know about it, and all engineers talk about is speculation.

It'll come when it comes. Unfortunately, time is ticking for VM and it ain't going any slower.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 22:31   #126
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Why is an engineer going to know ANYTHING about what's coming soon?

They're paid to load stuff onto a van, drive to a house, install the stuff, and move on to the next house.

They know nothing about product lines or future launches, and why would they? It's not their job to know or care.

Is it just that what the engineer said is more in line with what you think, so obviously they must be telling the truth?
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 22:54   #127
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Engineers, unless they are directly involved in the provision of channels would be no more likely to know than customer service agents when (and what) channels are coming.

Now factor in that some people who call themselves installation engineers are not even directly employed by Virgin, so would actually be less likely to know.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 02:42   #128
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

Quote:
You wouldn't want to trust the engineer who installed my V+ box Arthur, after fitting it I made him a cup of tea and he then went on to try and convince me to cancel the V+ service, whereupon he would then "sell" me a V box with every channel for £350 or a V+ with all the channels for £500, lovely bloke.
As mentioned earlier engineers don't have any inside info of upcoming channels, I would rather put my money on what Ben from VM-CS has to say.
BTW I'll just add that the other two engineers I've had out to my house in the last couple of years have been both professional and courteous, one went as far as to give me his mobile number telling me that if I had any future problems just give him a ring.
It was only the V+ installer who was dodgy.
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 01:30   #129
Herbert Schongle
Inactive

Herbert Schongle is an unknown quantity at this point

If it wasn't for needing to have a BT phone line, i'd be away to Sky HD like a shot.
Herbert Schongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 01:45   #130
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbert Schongle View Post
If it wasn't for needing to have a BT phone line, i'd be away to Sky HD like a shot.

you only need a BT line for sky BB and Talk the TV just need to be connected to an active line for the contract term
Old 27-04-2009, 02:14   #131
Herbert Schongle
Inactive

Does it need to be an active line though?

When i've spoken to Sky in the past, they have always told me i "must" have BT, but i find them to be very expensive, whilst virgin media seem to be cheaper.

Would it be possible to get Sky for the HD but keep VM for broadband and the phone line?
Old 27-04-2009, 02:16   #132
zing_deleted

just an active phone line. I am with VM and my SKY HD box is coming end of may. The box has an internal modem for interactive features thats all and to qualify for a subsidised box it just need to be usable.

In answer to sky for tv and cable for BB and phone yes thats what I have(also have cable tv but thats irrelevent)
Old 27-04-2009, 02:33   #133
Herbert Schongle
Inactive

So basically i could just get BT but only pay the line rental. then also never actually use it for phone calls?

Currently i'm on the VIP package, and i've got a small feeling they renewed the contract recently, so i may be locked in.

anyway cheers Zinglebarb, i'm going to make a few calls in the morning, and see if i can do what you did.
Old 27-04-2009, 09:11   #134
akki007
Inactive

Services: TiVo XL, L BB, L Phone
akki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to allakki007 is a name known to all

Cant you connect a sky box to a Virgin line? Why does it have to be BT?
akki007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 09:17   #135
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

You can connect a Sky box to a Virgin phone line. Sky salespeople would naturally want you to believe otherwise, as if you have an active cable in your house that increases the chance that they will lose you as a customer at some point.

However all the Sky box wants to do is connect to an 0800 number from time to time to prove you've not unplugged it. Virgin Media does not block access to that number.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote