Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | An email from Neil Berkett re: VM HD Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

An email from Neil Berkett re: VM HD Channels

Old 16-04-2009, 19:53   #106
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Re: An email from Neil Berkett re: VM HD Channels

I spoke to a VM engineer today, and was told apart from the HD channels we have now, there is none planned for the forseeable future.
But told me to get a V+ BOX, when l told him l had one, he said again, other than what we have, (which we don't) then what l said above still counts. And yes l do feel conned, we were PROMISED channels, and that is why l bought the damn thing.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2009, 14:34   #107
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I spoke to a VM engineer today, and was told apart from the HD channels we have now, there is none planned for the forseeable future.
But told me to get a V+ BOX, when l told him l had one, he said again, other than what we have, (which we don't) then what l said above still counts. And yes l do feel conned, we were PROMISED channels, and that is why l bought the damn thing.
Well that engineer was incorrect.
Old 17-04-2009, 14:39   #108
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Engineers are sometimes contractors and are not always known for their reliability of information.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 14:45   #109
kkevin666
Inactive

kkevin666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Engineers are sometimes contractors and are not always known for their reliability of information.

Just like Virgin then.
kkevin666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 14:47   #110
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkevin666 View Post
Just like Virgin then.
The engineers are also contractors in some cases, and unlikely to know the marketing plans
Old 17-04-2009, 14:52   #111
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamTG View Post
I am confused!

Are we getting HD or not?!
Not that i can see, There has not been a blue moon with a pink elephant flying around it yet.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 14:53   #112
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamTG View Post
I am confused!

Are we getting HD or not?!
Yes
maybe
sometime
Old 17-04-2009, 14:55   #113
nexy33
Inactive

Services: Sky hd BT phone Vm 50 meg till they stm it
nexy33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
Again just like virgin and the crown prince of liars NB then as said before ******** smoke and mirrors is not a good business model, whatever way its being packaged by vm.
nexy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 15:26   #114
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki007 View Post
Well, if the email above is anything to go by, it would appear that Virgin can and will in fact provide linear HD at no extra cost. But how can this be? For are they not a business? Perhaps the comments about being a "businessman" are far too sweeping and cannot be applied to all circumstances. But hey, what do I know.
Virgin already charge for Linear HD. Just not as much as Sky. Unless of course you know of a cut-price v+ box that doesn't do HD.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 16:15   #115
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

It's simple, if HD is important to you then move to Sky. VM won't be filling your HD needs any time soon otherwise they would be shouting about it from the rooftops.

I am already with Sky but looking at just what content is available from the 30 odd existing HD channels I am reminded that HD crap is every bit as crap as the same crap shown in SD so for the present I will be sticking to my trusty standard Sky+.

Of course if I were a Sky Movies or Sports buff then possibly my feelings might be more positive but sadly I am not.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 16:17   #116
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
It's simple, if HD is important to you then move to Sky. VM won't be filling your HD needs any time soon otherwise they would be shouting about it from the rooftops.

I am already with Sky but looking at just what content is available from the 30 odd existing HD channels I am reminded that HD crap is every bit as crap as the same crap shown in SD so for the present I will be sticking to my trusty standard Sky+.

Of course if I were a Sky Movies or Sports buff then possibly my feelings might be more positive but sadly I am not.
Which is the point I have been making - crap programmes are still crap programmes in HD or SD! At least we're not paying more to watch them!
Old 17-04-2009, 18:53   #117
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Virgin already charge for Linear HD. Just not as much as Sky. Unless of course you know of a cut-price v+ box that doesn't do HD.
I'd be suprised if the vast majority of V+ boxes weren't purchased for their pvr functionality rather than HD.

Certainly when I purchased my TV drive, as was called then, there was hardly any mention of it's HD capability, but screeds about it's pvr ability.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 21:13   #118
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

If I had to choose between a PVR functionality or HD I'm afraid PVR wins hands down I just cannot imagine having to watch TV "live".

One day soon HD TV will be as normal as WS is now, that's most likely when I will upgrade to it but maybe it will be BBC FreeSat rather than Sky that will get my custom.

On the other hand my Sky+ could die tomorrow making the £49 Sky+HD offer economically attractive.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 23:27   #119
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

So much speculation and very little facts.
My opinion on the matter is that VM can not afford to delay for much longer. I would be very surprised if we did not have extra HD channels by the end of summer. However, I won't be going to sky for HD unless VM fail to provide significant HD channels by this time next year. That's my personal limit. A year from now.
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 00:32   #120
moroboshi
Inactive

moroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Really? The smart money is on him being right. VM's track record on keeping their promises is to say the least, comical.
moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote