Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | An email from Neil Berkett re: VM HD Channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

An email from Neil Berkett re: VM HD Channels

Old 24-01-2019, 19:15   #151
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: An email from Neil Berkett re: VM HD Channels

I agree, but it's what people tend to do!

I can't fathom why they would pay all that money for an HD set and then watch an inferior quality channel when a better one is available. It's akin to people in the sixties/seventies watching BBC1 & ITV on the 405 line service when they had a dual standard TV with the superior 625 line services available.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-01-2019, 20:23   #152
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Not quiet sure why people watch SD when HD is available, especially on bigger TV's. The difference in quality makes all the difference.
Totally agree with that, there's nowt so queer as folk, as they say up north....
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 20:47   #153
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It's akin to people in the sixties/seventies watching BBC1 & ITV on the 405 line service when they had a dual standard TV with the superior 625 line services available.
It wasn't that simple. We had a dual standard TV*, but it only had a VHF tuner, and they put the 625 line channels on UHF. Dad wasn't happy at missing all the wildlife programmes on BBC2.

(*) I used to enjoy pushing the "625" button and watching the lines getting smaller. Happy days!
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 21:36   #154
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
I agree, but it's what people tend to do!

I can't fathom why they would pay all that money for an HD set and then watch an inferior quality channel when a better one is available. It's akin to people in the sixties/seventies watching BBC1 & ITV on the 405 line service when they had a dual standard TV with the superior 625 line services available.
They wouldn't watch SD in preference to HD if the HD variant was more prominently placed in the EPG.

Why is bbc1 SD on 101 and HD on 108 for instance?

Wouldn't it be an idea for an option in Settings to choose HD or SD (and logically in the future UHD)?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 21:41   #155
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Why is bbc1 SD on 101 and HD on 108 for instance?
Because in England the regions aren't in HD.

BBC One HD is on 101 elsewhere in the UK.
Old 24-01-2019, 22:17   #156
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
They wouldn't watch SD in preference to HD if the HD variant was more prominently placed in the EPG...
I agree, it's simply down to inertia.

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It wasn't that simple. We had a dual standard TV*, but it only had a VHF tuner, and they put the 625 line channels on UHF. Dad wasn't happy at missing all the wildlife programmes on BBC2.

(*) I used to enjoy pushing the "625" button and watching the lines getting smaller. Happy days!
I've never heard of a dual standard TV without UHF before!
Old 25-01-2019, 16:01   #157
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:

I asked someone about this and he said that, if your parents had of been on cable, you might have been able to get BBC2!

Some cable 60s/70s systems ran all three channels on VHF, because cable signal loss is a lot lower at VHF than UHF. So BBC 2 UHF was downconverted to a 625 line VHF signal on these systems, (and BBC1/ITV 405 transposed to other VHF frequencies to avoid direct cable pick up from the tx being a problem).

Later when BBC 1 and ITV launched on 625 UHF they are similarly down-converted to VHF.

Also, my own research shows that some dual standard TV's were sold with a VHF tuner only with the idea being that a seperate UHF tuner could be purchased and added later on. You learn something new every day!

https://www.transdiffusion.org/2017/...to-625-line-tv (section 17).
Old 25-01-2019, 19:37   #158
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I asked someone about this and he said that, if your parents had of been on cable, you might have been able to get BBC2!
This was 30 years before cable reached them.

Quote:
Also, my own research shows that some dual standard TV's were sold with a VHF tuner only with the idea being that a seperate UHF tuner could be purchased and added later on. You learn something new every day!

https://www.transdiffusion.org/2017/...to-625-line-tv (section 17).
Good find. Yes, that was exactly the situation. Our TV had the 625 line circuitry, but needed a tuner upgrade. I think my dad felt it had been missold.
Old 25-01-2019, 23:02   #159
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I suppose an analogy could be the early HD TV's that were marked as 'HD ready' ie people were probably misled into thinking that they were future proofing themselves for the forthcoming new technology.
Old 26-01-2019, 09:43   #160
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

"HD Ready" was actually a good thing. It was a standard that guaranteed the interworking of equipment at a minimum of 720p.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090210....php?iddoc=242

It was TVs marked with things like "HDTV Ready" that you had to be wary of.
Old 26-01-2019, 12:40   #161
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
"HD Ready" was actually a good thing. It was a standard that guaranteed the interworking of equipment at a minimum of 720p.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090210....php?iddoc=242

It was TVs marked with things like "HDTV Ready" that you had to be wary of.
So was the only difference between an HDTV Ready TV and an HD TV that an external box was needed to obtain the HD signals for the TV ie it only had an SD Freeview tuner?

If so, these would have been fine for VM customers as all they really needed was an HD source to obtain the HD signals which is provided by their STB?
Old 26-01-2019, 12:57   #162
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Also the lack of HDMI. Some older HD TVs without being HD Ready only had analog component inputs for HD.
Old 26-01-2019, 14:25   #163
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Freeview HD didn't exist at the time that HD Ready was specified. HD Ready only relates to the display properties. A TV could be marked HD Ready if it met the requirements, but so could a monitor that has no tuner at all.

You couldn't trust any display that wasn't marked "HD Ready". "HDTV Ready" (or any other similar wording) didn't mean anything in particular. For instance, it might only have component inputs, or might have an HDMI or DVI input but not support HDCP, or not support 720p and 1080i inputs.
Old 26-01-2019, 15:59   #164
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I wonder if we'll face similar problems with UHD or 4K sets (apparently, there's a subtle difference between the two)?
Old 26-01-2019, 16:55   #165
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from RichardCoulter:

I wonder if we'll face similar problems with UHD or 4K sets (apparently, there's a subtle difference between the two)?
The dilemma that faces all early adopters: Get the latest tech that might be lacking some vital feature or even become obsolete so you can willy wave or be patient and wait for the technology to settle on a common standard: VHS vs Betamax.