Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PM Boris forms a government

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

PM Boris forms a government
Closed Thread

Old 17-07-2019, 08:42   #751
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Leadership who is the next PM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
He might you know.... The deal might already be done as long as he winds up the Brexit party. They should both get knighthoods for service to themselves....
He won’t - it’s not how it works in this country.

It’s a step too far, even for BJ.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 17-07-2019, 09:40   #752
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I don't think Boris Johnson is a fan of Farage anyway. They're both Leavers but for very different reasons. Boris Johnson's instincts appear to be more liberal and less nationalistic, Farage is very much someone whose instincts are insular. If it weren't for Brexit these two men would be on polar opposites of the conservative spectrum.
Old 17-07-2019, 11:13   #753
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
He might you know.... The deal might already be done as long as he winds up the Brexit party. They should both get knighthoods for service to themselves....
Nah, Farage is just not smart enough to be an ambassador ..

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

Well I never ...

EXCL Tories branded ‘hypocrites’ for letting under-18s pick next PM but blocking votes at 16

Quote:
The Conservatives offers membership to people aged under 23 for just £5 a year - with "full voting rights" given to any members aged 15 or over.

a cross-party bill to lower the UK voting age foundered in the Commons in 2017 after Tory MPs were accused of talking it out, and successive Prime Ministers have spoken out against change.

In the same year, Theresa May said: "You have to pick a point at which you think it is right for the voting age to be. I continue to think it is right for it to be 18."

The Conservative Party did not respond to a request for comment.

But party's most recent membership forms state that members aged 15 or above "qualify for full voting rights".

And a string of local Tory websites say that there is "no upper or lower age limit on membership, although children under the age of 15 cannot be enrolled as full voting members".

Jeremy Hunt's campaign meanwhile published a video earlier this month featuring a 17 year-old Conservative member who said he had cast his vote in the leadership race to "battle that stereotype that our age group are uninformed".
In case you think this is all made up, here's the Rutland and Melton Conservatives:

https://www.rutlandmeltonconservativ...e-party-member

Quote:
Any person living in the United Kingdom is eligible to join the Conservative Party. Applicants are not required to be registered voters or UK nationals. There is no upper or lower age limit on membership, although children under the age of 15 cannot be enrolled as full voting members.
We must capitalise on this current resurgence, and strive for a larger, stronger and co-ordinated membership.

The principal benefit of membership of the Conservative Party is the right to participate. Paid up members of the Conservative Party have the following rights:

• A vote in the selection of candidates for Westminster and Europe
• A vote in the election of Constituency Association Officers
• One member, one vote in the election of the Leader of the Party
• Representation on the governing board of the Party
• The opportunity to attend Party Conference
• Access to an Ethics and Integrity Committee to ensure high standards
• Social & Political events throughout the year
• Decisions on key policy ideas for the next General Election
Cue Labour whataboutery
Old 17-07-2019, 15:48   #754
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post

Cue Labour whataboutery
As long as you get the irony...
Old 17-07-2019, 17:24   #755
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
As long as you get the irony...
I do indeed You ignored the main point of the post and just commented on my last line ..
Old 17-07-2019, 17:36   #756
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I do indeed You ignored the main point of the post and just commented on my last line ..
I have no issue with those comments, which is why I didn't respond to that part of your post. You have a point, fair enough.
Old 17-07-2019, 17:55   #757
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I have no issue with those comments, which is why I didn't respond to that part of your post. You have a point, fair enough.
Ok, thanks ..
Old 17-07-2019, 19:45   #758
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Nah, Farage is just not smart enough to be an ambassador ..

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 ----------

Well I never ...

EXCL Tories branded ‘hypocrites’ for letting under-18s pick next PM but blocking votes at 16

In case you think this is all made up, here's the Rutland and Melton Conservatives:

https://www.rutlandmeltonconservativ...e-party-member

Cue Labour whataboutery
I do hope, Ian, that an intelligent bloke like you doesn't fall for the hyprocisy argument. You've carefully not positioned yourself on this.

Allowing people at age 16 to join a party and vote in its processes is not the same as voting in an election. The two leadership candidates are already MPs and there is no conflict of logic here.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 17-07-2019, 20:03   #759
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I do hope, Ian, that an intelligent bloke like you doesn't fall for the hyprocisy argument. You've carefully not positioned yourself on this.

Allowing people at age 16 to join a party and vote in its processes is not the same as voting in an election. The two leadership candidates are already MPs and there is no conflict of logic here.

Who said I wuz intelligent?

I am afraid I have a different perspective on this. Choosing the leader of our country has, in some ways, more significance that voting for your MP.

You might have one candidate who is proposing a significant change in the future direction of the country. You totally want the appropriate people to validate this decision.

If the Tories think you cannot vote for your MP at 15 then they should certainly not be able to decide the person who will make the most important policy decision for a generation or more.
Old 17-07-2019, 20:59   #760
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Who said I wuz intelligent?

I am afraid I have a different perspective on this. Choosing the leader of our country has, in some ways, more significance that voting for your MP.

You might have one candidate who is proposing a significant change in the future direction of the country. You totally want the appropriate people to validate this decision.

If the Tories think you cannot vote for your MP at 15 then they should certainly not be able to decide the person who will make the most important policy decision for a generation or more.
Your logic is faulty because you’re still using lazy tabloid shorthand rather than acknowledging constitutional reality.

Party members don’t choose prime ministers. Not ever. There is a whole process following the leadership election, requiring the advice of the sitting PM, the confidence of the Commons and the assent of the Monarch. Most often the elected leader becomes leader of the opposition anyway.

We don’t elect a leader, we elect a representative (not a deputy or delegate) who is charged with using their best judgment on our behalf for the following five years, etc etc etc etc
Old 17-07-2019, 22:42   #761
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I don't see what great wisdom difference there is that means someone at 16 can choose a party leader but can't vote in a general election.
Old 17-07-2019, 23:22   #762
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I don't see what great wisdom difference there is that means someone at 16 can choose a party leader but can't vote in a general election.
Agreed, it's an intellectually-moribund argument. People are just trying to support their favourite political parties' policies which doesn't progress society.
Old 17-07-2019, 23:54   #763
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Your logic is faulty because you’re still using lazy tabloid shorthand rather than acknowledging constitutional reality.

Party members don’t choose prime ministers. Not ever. There is a whole process following the leadership election, requiring the advice of the sitting PM, the confidence of the Commons and the assent of the Monarch. Most often the elected leader becomes leader of the opposition anyway.

We don’t elect a leader, we elect a representative (not a deputy or delegate) who is charged with using their best judgment on our behalf for the following five years, etc etc etc etc
Again you choose to ignore the point I made and that was the hypocrisy of the process when compared to the rules set for the 2016 referendum, etc. I thought the point was a bloody obvious one .. others got it except you it seems.

Also, don't give me that pompous "Party members don’t choose prime ministers. Not ever." crap. Come back here in 2 weeks (ish) time and tell me that the person chosen by the (15 year old ) Tory Party membership is not the next Prime Minister.
Old 18-07-2019, 00:09   #764
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Not pompous - constitutionally accurate. Detail matters.
Old 18-07-2019, 08:10   #765
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I agree on the narrow point about wisdom. But picking up on the sentiment, rules for party membership have nothing to do with electoral roll rules.

My advice is at your risk.
Closed Thread