Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Old 06-03-2016, 20:06   #46
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Audience figures from the first 10 days of operations have exceeded their expectations for the entire first month already, & quoting from philmack's website.
Aye, he's claiming that his audience figures keep on growing, even doubling in some cases.

In fact, he claims that his channel is now more popular than some Premier League matches on Sky Sports!

He really must think that viewers and advertisers are as stupid as he is...

Having said that, I do wish the channel well.

Technical changes have been made that suggest that Channel 5 HD may become FTA and join Freesat soon.

Rumours abound the industry that Channel 5 HD will replace BBC3 when that finally closes on Freeview.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2016, 23:58   #47
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Rumours abound the industry that Channel 5 HD will replace BBC3 when that finally closes on Freeview.
Seems logical for them to take the 105 slot vacated by BBC3, but will this also mean an end to CBBC HD on the PSB3 mux, where it was sharing capacity?
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 20:19   #48
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I honestly don't know, but I would have thought that they would find some way around this.
Old 11-03-2016, 22:48   #49
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Not in Scotland by the looks of things:

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/02/l...under-one.html
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 23:50   #50
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Not in Scotland by the looks of things:

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/02/l...under-one.html
The 105 slot on Freeview is a UK wide service:

...BBC Three HD's channel slot on 105 will be reallocated in accordance with existing Freeview channel allocation rules, which could see BBC Four HD move to 105. It could also be Channel 5's last opportunity to launch an HD service in that slot - it turned down the chance to launch an HD service on Freeview on two occasions under its previous management, but the broadcasters says it's still commited to launching in HD on Freeview...
Old 22-03-2016, 14:33   #51
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Seems logical for them to take the 105 slot vacated by BBC3, but will this also mean an end to CBBC HD on the PSB3 mux, where it was sharing capacity?
Having looked into this, there's currently 10Mbps of capacity unused on the BBC-B national Freeview HD multiplex, so technically it is possible to add C5 HD without affecting any other service.
Old 22-03-2016, 21:52   #52
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

True Crime & True Crime +1 have now launched on Freesat & Sky, replacing More>Movies & More>Movies +1. True Crime has also launched on Freeview, but only in areas where a local TV mux is running. Movie Mix continues to broadcast on its existing Freeview slot on channel 32.

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/03/t...ces-movie.html
Old 22-03-2016, 23:37   #53
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Good news,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 11:27   #54
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Been quite a month for Country fans in the UK, & particularly London. C2C was a great success. Keep It Country TV to watch nationwide, & now Chris Country radio is broadcasting 24 hours a day to the whole of London on DAB.
Old 23-03-2016, 11:49   #55
nashville
nashville

nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Been a great time indeed, This suits me to. T
Old 19-04-2016, 15:53   #56
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

New HD channels.

CNN HD is now testing on satellite in preparation for a full launch on the EPG.

The picture quality is said to be one of the best with regards to the HD channels.

CNN SD is FTA, I don't know if the HD variant will be pay or not, but I doubt it (the tests are certainly FTA). Here's hoping that it will join Freesat.

Edit: Just found out that ITVBe HD and CITV HD are testing on satellite too- wonder if Freesat will get these as well?
Old 19-04-2016, 16:40   #57
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I hope Freesat will get these. I think it mostly depends on spot beam capacity for UK broadcast. If they have rights issues with transmission overspill into continental Europe, they have to go with Sky because they need encryption to ensure they are only viewable in the UK. There is a lot more spot beam capacity than there used to be, so here's hoping.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 01:55   #58
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I hope so too.

I now have a Freesat box to supplement the missing Virgin Media channels, so that if VM don't get the ones that I'm interested in (they haven't been adding the new FTA channels for a while), then I would still have access to them.

It's also a useful back up if the VM system ever goes completely down or if my box fails- both of which have happened to me.
Old 20-04-2016, 17:59   #59
nashville
nashville

I still have VM in one of the bedrooms but it is only preview channels, which is fine as my main TV is Freesat. The thing that worries me is if something happens to the dish in bad weather. They charge to fix it,
Old 03-05-2016, 02:09   #60
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Channel 5 HD becomes Free To Air today; it will be added to both Freesat and Freeview very shortly.