Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 22:55   #13456
philj
Inactive

philj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Hi all,
I've put a message up on my site
Written to the European Commisioner
Written thanking Baroness Miller for her work
Written to OFCOM
Written to VirginMedia 3 letters and emailed them as well
Written to the Home Office (spitting in the wind I think)
Given the Dephormation flyer to 2 Doctors Practices I know with instructions to sign the petition or I'll stop being ill ( 6 Doctors in all )
Been round to 3 local firms who deal on the net and left the info with them
working on getting some more flyers out
whats the wording for a complaint to ICO reading their online form did my head in and who else can I annoy ?

Philj

not looking for a pat on the back here just guidance

EDIT still waiting for a reply to my reply to virginmedia not as quick of the mark this time first response was within 24hours 4days and counting
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2008, 23:00   #13457
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Awesome work, Phil. Thanks for your tireless campaigning. We all appreciate it.
Old 08-08-2008, 00:10   #13458
Tarquin L-Smythe
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband BT Vision Sky
Tarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about them

Just googled for the BT broadband exchange Kingston and got
BT Broadband Exchange - Kingston‎ -
Kingston, 1 The Cottons, Kingston Upon Thames, KT2 6RP‎ - 0870 850 3325

NOT.KT1 3JA ,,Unless google maps are wrong.

coincidence: maybe
Old 08-08-2008, 00:13   #13459
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

The new MVPS HOSTS file is out - there is now a line for Phorm IPV4 IP ranges but no actual entries, although the NebuAd section definitely has some interesting domains - what effect is this going to have?

And how do we get the Phorm ranges included? Are they waiting for implementation before they block or are they open to information?

I've posted the link to the text file version not the downloadable HOSTS file itself.

I've sent in an email to ask if they want info on Phorm and referred them here. Hope that is okay.
Old 08-08-2008, 00:14   #13460
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all
Cool Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by philj View Post
Hi all,
I've put a message up on my site
Written to the European Commisioner
Written thanking Baroness Miller for her work
Written to OFCOM
Written to VirginMedia 3 letters and emailed them as well
Written to the Home Office (spitting in the wind I think)
Given the Dephormation flyer to 2 Doctors Practices I know with instructions to sign the petition or I'll stop being ill ( 6 Doctors in all )
Been round to 3 local firms who deal on the net and left the info with them
working on getting some more flyers out
whats the wording for a complaint to ICO reading their online form did my head in and who else can I annoy ?

Philj

not looking for a pat on the back here just guidance

EDIT still waiting for a reply to my reply to virginmedia not as quick of the mark this time first response was within 24hours 4days and counting
More ideas;
- Send your ISP/telecom provider (both) a section 11 DPA notice (my wizard will help you write it, and find the right address)
- Write to your MP if you haven't done it already (again this wizard will compose a basic letter for you).

ISPA, waste of a stamp, but handling letters and writing replies gives them something enjoyable to do.

Think about what's been going on. Is there an enquiry you think we've missed? A question unanswered in your mind? Then write to the Government department and ask. Examples might include the Cabinet Office, BERR, Home Office, ICO. Make sure the letter is headed Freedom of Information request.
Keep the question simple to answer, and you'll get a response in 20 days, in theory. Who, what, why, when... Stick to stuff that costs nothing to photocopy and/or print. Letters, minutes, agendas, meetings. Think about sites like whatdotheyknow.com and writetothem.com.

Also Sir Michael Rake at BT. Ask him to explain what BT were doing in 2006 and 2007. Mention BT's values, and contrast them with what we know about Webwise and the conduct of BT. (I'm still waiting for my reply).

Ignore the ICO form, write directly to Richard Thomas, and ask for an explanation for ICO's lack of "technical expertise" and failure to hire those skills. Ask him to explain the evident lack of regulatory independence demonstrated in the correspondance released by ICO (on Dephormation.org.uk).

Pete.
Old 08-08-2008, 00:25   #13461
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
The new MVPS HOSTS file is out - there is now a line for Phorm IPV4 IP ranges but no actual entries, although the NebuAd section definitely has some interesting domains - what effect is this going to have?

And how do we get the Phorm ranges included? Are they waiting for implementation before they block or are they open to information?

I've posted the link to the text file version not the downloadable HOSTS file itself.

I've sent in an email to ask if they want info on Phorm and referred them here. Hope that is okay.
>To contribute a listing for our resources, report a bad link, or site problems, send this information or any other comments you may have to: winhelp2002 -at - comcast -dot- net

EDIT: Oops, sorry. Didn't see your last sentence.
Old 08-08-2008, 00:26   #13462
philj
Inactive

philj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enoughphilj will become famous soon enough

Hi again,
Dephormation,

have sent dpa letter (missed it off the list)
and now sent letter to MP

thanks for advice

Phil
Old 08-08-2008, 00:49   #13463
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
>To contribute a listing for our resources, report a bad link, or site problems, send this information or any other comments you may have to: winhelp2002 -at - comcast -dot- net

EDIT: Oops, sorry. Didn't see your last sentence.
I've followed up by sending them a file I had on my comuter of phorm hosts entries that I haven't actually added to my hosts file yet but thought they would be interested in - referred them here for a look-see.

Can't remember where I got the list of urls for the hosts file - I think it was posted here somewhere in the distant past - a long time ago in a far away post in the early days of the Jedi wars.
Old 08-08-2008, 00:57   #13464
lardycake
Inactive

lardycake is an unknown quantity at this point

Was it this one: http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/ ?

It has webwise & oix in it
Old 08-08-2008, 01:05   #13465
philj
Inactive

Terms and Copyright © 2007 PPI

All of the online and telephone audio content provided by us is protected by English and International copyright laws and that copyright is owned or controlled by us. Unless otherwise stated, we reserve all rights in that copyright. This means, for example, that you may not copy, issue copies to the public, perform, show, broadcast or make any adaptation of any of that content without our permission. All copyrights, trademarks, patents, design rights, and other intellectual property rights relating to this website and telephone audio content (including, but not limited to, the underlying software, the design, graphics, layout, colour, feel, and structure of our websites, and the structure, information, charging mechanism and wording used in our telephone audio content) will be and remain the sole property of us. You may view, use, download, and store the material on this website and telephone lines for personal and research use only.

Commercial use is strictly prohibited. Redistributing, republishing, copying, adapting or otherwise making material on this website or telephone lines available to third parties is prohibited. Unauthorised use of our website or telephone audio material may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.

The information in this website and on the telephone lines is given in good faith and for general information and interest only. It is subject to change without notice. We make every effort to ensure that the information on our websites and telephone lines is correct but we cannot guarantee that it is 100% free of inaccuracies, errors and omissions.

taken from the UK Passports site where there is an online application form for passports. If thats not private data I dont know what is and notice how it may be a criminal offence.
2 Your rights and how we protect them

The Identity and Passport Service is committed to compliance with the Act. We hold a legal duty to do so. We will take every precaution to protect your information. The following principles will apply when we process your personal information:

* Your personal information is only processed with your knowledge;
* Only personal information that we actually need is collected and processed;
* Your personal information is only seen by those who need it to do their jobs;
* Your personal information is retained only for as long as it is required;
* Your personal information is accurate and is only used for the intended purpose;
* Decisions affecting you are made on the basis of reliable and up to date personal information;
* Your personal information is protected from unauthorised or accidental disclosure;
* You will be provided with a copy of personal information we hold on you on request;
* There will be procedures in place for dealing promptly with any disputes.

All of these principles will apply whether we hold your personal information on paper or in electronic form.
I am going to ask them how thiey reconcile this with the deployment of Phorm

Phil

text of email sent to passport office

Sir,
Reproduced below are terms, copyright notices taken from your site. Also your stated policy regarding information held by yourselves.

I would be grateful if you could tell me how you will seek to reconcile your stated policy and protect this information you hold when and if PHORM is implemented by BT and Virginmedia. You state in the underlined section unauthorised copying or reproducing etc is prohibited but this is exactly what the Phorm system entails. If you take no action to protect this information you will in my opinion be condoning and participating in what has already been admitted,by BT themselves, to be an illegal act after their illegal interception of data transmissions in Sept/Oct 2006 and June 2007. Regardless of any opt in opt out procedure it is my understanding that data will still pass through this system making your assurances obsolete and worthless.

I would be grateful for your comments on this matter and correction where I am in error

Your sincerely
Old 08-08-2008, 03:06   #13466
D_Advocate
cf.member

D_Advocate is on a distinguished roadD_Advocate is on a distinguished road

Be careful Philj - you are actually breaching their terms and copyright by reproducing the above here

D_A
Old 08-08-2008, 08:16   #13467
Rchivist
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardycake View Post
Was it this one: http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/ ?

It has webwise & oix in it
No - the MVPS site here

you can sign up for the MVPS one and get an email each time they update it.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:44   #13468
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post

There's a link at the bottom of the MVPS page where folks can submit a listing for inclusion I've been looking through this thread for the Phorm IP ranges to send into them.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:55   #13469
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

If you're quoting copyrighted material could I ask you please to do a couple of things for us:

1. Use the [quote] tags to more easily identify your quote like this:

Quote:
This is some copyrighted material
2. Only quote the minimum portion of that material that is necessary to establish relevance, then link to the remainder of the material or provide a source.

Continually posting large volumes of potentially copyrighted material may cause legal issues, and is definitely against our Terms of Use

Thanks
Old 08-08-2008, 09:06   #13470
Rchivist
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
There's a link at the bottom of the MVPS page where folks can submit a listing for inclusion I've been looking through this thread for the Phorm IP ranges to send into them.
I've done that last night. I've sent you the list by PM - can't actually remember where it came from and I know it will be out of date.
Closed Thread