Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Series Link problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Series Link problems

Old 15-07-2019, 10:08   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Series Link problems

I think the latest V6 software update has introduced a problem with some Series Links.

It may well be a coincidence, but it didn't start until after I noticed that the box had rebooted overnight recently and we had the knew 20.9.1 software.

I know there's a thread about 20.9.1 already but that is focussed on YouTube App problems and I didn't want others with the same problem as me to not see my post because of the thread title and it's previous content.

Anyway twice I've had a successful Series Link for Suits on Paramount Network HD. As a newcomer to the series I'd set it up to record old episodes, and it was working both times. But then without warning it stopped recording, the episodes it should be recording weren't showing in My Planned Recordings.

The first time, earlier this week, after checking my settings, concluding they should work, I decided on a clean slate, deleted my Series Link and put it on again, same settings. And it worked until today.

Last night the show was showing fine in My Planned Recordings for this week, this morning it was gone. Last night I watched the last two recorded episodes of Suits in the folder and deleted them, as normal, at the end. As I had no reason to think the Series Link would stop working I didn't go to My Planned Recordings to check if it was going to work tomorrow, I'd seen it listed earlier in the day, so I put the box into standby.

This morning, all instances in My Planned Recordings are gone, the show is on every weekday at the moment so there are plenty it should have scheduled.

My V6 has lots of Series Links on, but all the other active ones are for New shows, not long running ones I'm new to and catching up. This one for Suits is the only one that is actively meant to be recording reruns, and since all my Series Links for New shows are working that is the most obvious difference I can see when trying to identify where the problem is.

Is anyone else having problems with Series Links on reruns?
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-07-2019, 21:08   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Series Link problems

I almost always use "New & reruns" and haven't noticed any problems.

Does Recording Hiccups give any clues?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 22:02   #3
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I almost always use "New & reruns" and haven't noticed any problems.

Does Recording Hiccups give any clues?
I was using "New & Reruns" in this case.

I can't look at Recording Hiccups, I deleted the Series Link again and redid it as there was an episode tonight. If it happens again I'll look though. Thanks.
Old 15-07-2019, 22:13   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Entries stay in Recording Hiccups even after you've deleted the Series Link.
Old 15-07-2019, 23:42   #5
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Entries stay in Recording Hiccups even after you've deleted the Series Link.
OK I'll look and get back to you.

---------- Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Ok, under clashes, assuming I've identified correctly, it says No Longer In Guide.

What's that mean? Last minute schedule change messes up whole Series Link?

Seems unlikely as the problem basically has been cancelling all the recordings that had previously been showing (approximately 10 as it's every weekday). I didn't notice it the first time until I'd missed two episodes. Fortunately there were repeats at the weekend I could add manually until I decided to redo the Series Link.
Old 16-07-2019, 08:19   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

"No Longer In Guide" is normally used for programmes that have been removed due to schedule changes. I wonder if they completely changed the series ID. Does anyone else here have a series link for Suits?
Old 16-07-2019, 17:18   #7
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

I didn't have a SL for Suits, but just set one and had a play around with the options. "New only", nothing picked up - and judging by the first-aired-dates, that's right.

"New and reruns", sure enough my box picked up one example of each episode - including the one on at 5pm today.

"Everything" did every available episode.

In other words - entirely the correct behaviour as best I can tell
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 17:49   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
In other words - entirely the correct behaviour as best I can tell
Yes, it was the same when I tested it yesterday. But I'm speculating that the series ID may been changed in error at some point, breaking all existing seriess links.
Old 16-07-2019, 18:27   #9
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Thanks for trying that both of you.

Japitts: I had deleted and put the Series Link on again fresh after the first time it happened. It did as you describe, but within a less than a week it changed. Like I said above, on Sunday the next two weeks was on My Planned Recordings, by Monday morning they were all gone again.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 16-07-2019 at 18:35.
Old 16-07-2019, 18:34   #10
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Has in gone wrong again since Monday morning?
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 18:35   #11
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
"No Longer In Guide" is normally used for programmes that have been removed due to schedule changes. I wonder if they completely changed the series ID. Does anyone else here have a series link for Suits?
I have a feeling that when they started showing it weekdays it was at 4pm. It is now at 5pm. The change didn't coincide with the Series Link stopping working as far as I'm aware. And given it happened twice and the weekday repeats only wpuld have changed timeslot once I doubt it's related.

Obviously I don't know the policy or possible reasoning behind the behind the scenes Series ID you mention spiderplant possibly being changed.

My new freshly done Series Link I set yesterday is, so far, sticking. Hopefully it will continue and there won't be a third time unlucky.
Old 16-07-2019, 21:22   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Obviously I don't know the policy or possible reasoning behind the behind the scenes Series ID you mention spiderplant possibly being changed.
It's just an arbitrary number that identifies all programmes that are part of the same series. I vaguely recall incidents where it has beeen changed in error in the past, so you only got some episodes recorded.
Old 17-07-2019, 08:43   #13
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

I'm probably missing something really obvious here, but did anyone mail this (possible) issue to the tivoguideerrors people? I've had similar issues in the past where a pre-existing SL wasn't picking up new episodes yet a repeat series had an SL flag. It was resolved without any extra intervention a few days later.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 09:46   #14
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

I've had confirmation that the series ID hasn't changed, so it's not that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
I'm probably missing something really obvious here, but did anyone mail this (possible) issue to the tivoguideerrors people? I've had similar issues in the past where a pre-existing SL wasn't picking up new episodes yet a repeat series had an SL flag. It was resolved without any extra intervention a few days later.
If the episodes hadn't been included in the series link, they wouldn't have appeared in Planned Recordings in the first place. And that Hiccups later showed them as "No longer in guide" is more evidence that the recordings were originally planned and then removed.

I suspect this one will remain a mystery.

---------- Post added at 09:46 ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 ----------

angus: Just wondering - do you also have a series link for a programme that is broadcast either immediately before or after Suits?
Old 17-07-2019, 10:04   #15
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
angus: Just wondering - do you also have a series link for a programme that is broadcast either immediately before or after Suits?
No. And there is nothing else recording on any other channel at that time of day either.