Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Analogue Cable Memories

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Analogue Cable Memories

Old 28-09-2021, 02:32   #91
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
Re: Analogue Cable Memories

i was late to the show unfortunately and only got cable in 2000. i was a naive young child and thought the only options were sky at this point and had limited knowledge of "cable". I was 13/14 at the time. I thought sky would be superior as i knew more about it so kept nagging my dad for sky tv but he kept saying no as he didnt want a dish on the house. Eventually i mentioned cable and after he asked if it had the dish or not immediately said yes once hearing it didnt. it was the easiest win i'd ever had and i wish id done it a year or two earlier.

Had glorious telewest analogue from summer 2000 to summer 2004 when we switched to telewest digital. weirdly from summer 2000 to summer 2004 i still have freeserve internet and only from 2002 did i have freeserve unlimited.

Looking back i should have been way more clued up with unlimited internet and cable tv and i could have got the stuff from 1999 etc....but then again maybe for my school grades it was the best how it worked out!

Last edited by vincerooney; 28-09-2021 at 02:33. Reason: .
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-09-2021, 09:07   #92
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

When I first got cable in 1992 it was Cable Camden, then Cable London, then Telewest, then VirginMedia...
johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 12:31   #93
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

We never subscribed to analogue but the wall box in our house was still live from the previous owner, so we used to have our TV plugged directly into it. That way we also got access to the BBC’s ‘digital only’ channels (we watched a lot of BBC3) plus whichever other channels came unscrambled within the range of our TV’s tuner from time to time. We had L!VE TV for a while, not that we wasted much time on it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 13:05   #94
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

We're all the analogue channels broadcast unencrypted? I appreciate the franchise nature of cable TV companies means there probably isn't a single answer to that. I remember visiting a family member in the late 90s who hooked up a PC tuner to the network and was able to watch sport and movie channels that they weren't subscribed to. Like you Chris, I tried the same with my TV tuner direct to the wall box, but only ever received a very small number of channels that I already had access to anyway. Presumably channel frequencies were allocated so that the premium channels were less likely to be visible on domestic TV tuners
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 14:40   #95
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

There were a couple channels we could receive that were scrambled, so you could hear them but not see them, but all in all there were not many channels within range of a standard UHF tuner. The PSB channels were always there, plus the BBC’s digital only stuff, but rarely much else. After a couple of years we subscribed to NTL digital and 512k broadband. And not long after that I became a member of NTHellworld
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 22:08   #96
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnasimmons View Post
When I first got cable in 1992 it was Cable Camden, then Cable London, then Telewest, then VirginMedia...
In Leeds the list is Jones Cable, Bell Cablemedia, Cable & Wireless, ntl and Virgin Media.
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:19   #97
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
In Leeds the list is Jones Cable, Bell Cablemedia, Cable & Wireless, ntl and Virgin Media.
And I worked for two of those - the joke in the Cable industry in the 90s was you could have had 4 employers in 5 years and still be at the same desk.

---------- Post added at 10:19 ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 ----------

Quote:
And I worked for two of those - the joke in the Cable industry in the 90s was you could have had 4 employers in 5 years and still be at the same desk.

tbf, when Jone Cable became BCM, we got to change our company cars from Mondeos to Audi A4s, so not all bad…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 22:03   #98
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Did Jones have franchises in any other area or were they just Lees?

And i seem to recall at one point there being a channel on cable called Jones Computer Network (JCN) which I think was in the C&W era. I also seem to recall it was either replaced by, or it replaced, a channel called Knowledge TV.
Old 02-10-2021, 22:22   #99
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

They were Leeds, Harrogate, & York, Jones Cable Watford, and also took over Peterborough & Norwich (previously PacTel, I believe).

After I left BCM, I worked for a cable billing company for a year, and did billing consultancy at Yorkshire Cable, Diamond Cable, Cable London, Videotron, Telewest, & Nynex.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 22:35   #100
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Comtels chipped boxes hehe
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 13:18   #101
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

In the late 90's Cambridge Cable came to the area, several people didn't want cables on their wall.

Cambridge Cable went bust and was taken over by the parent company Anglia Cable, then this became NTL then Virgin Media.

In the loft somewhere are the Scientific Atlanta and Pace boxes.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:09   #102
gaz82
cf.member

gaz82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where I live, TV aerials were banned by the local council during the 80's/90's so a "communal aerial" service was provided to every house which gave us the normal 1-4 channels plus a few extra basic cable channels without a cable box.

You could subscribe to other premium channels and a cable box was provided which just had a single knob on the front to change the channel (I think it supplied about 20 extra channels). It was quickly discovered though that if you acquired a TV that could tune beyond the normal UHF 21-69 range most of these channels could be received for free as they were unencrypted!

Eventually, the service was taken over by a company called Telecential, which replaced the old boxes with the well known Jerrold/General Instrument cable boxes and ended the free ride!

Telecential became Comtel and then NTL.
gaz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 20:02   #103
Rillington
cf.mega poster

what were the "extra basic cable channels"?"
Old 07-10-2021, 12:43   #104
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I believe it varied area to area, but a TV directly plugged in to the network where I was would get (at various points in history) get the United Artists multiscreeen, The Box, Live TV, BBC News, Sky News and at one point in the latter days of analogue it got Sky One!

(Edit I’ve realised he’s talking about something else slightly)
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 13:44   #105
gaz82
cf.member

gaz82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
From what I vaguely remember I think it was Sky One, CNN, a random channel showing news and adverts for local businesses, and then some radio channels that could be listened to through the TV (possibly a couple of the BBC Radio channels and 2-Ten fm).
gaz82 is offline   Reply With Quote