Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Black Lives Matter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Black Lives Matter

Old 10-06-2020, 11:20   #256
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Well, the football isn't on yet, so the thugs have to do something to entertain themselves.
Exactly and no pubs open so no punch up's for 3 months now.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:22   #257
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
a) This is not new information, this is new perspective. If they had known about Saville in the 80s they would not have tolerated it. Everyone knew how these slavers made their money, it was not a secret. It was not exactly fondly looked upon at the time by everyone.
Plenty of people knew about Saville by the 1980s. It was tolerated, and his activities weren’t taken seriously, because of a combination of a cult of celebrity around him (a pernicious and ongoing problem especially within large media organisations like the BBC), and society in general not taking child abuse seriously.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:25   #258
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Plenty of people knew about Saville by the 1980s. It was tolerated, and his activities weren’t taken seriously, because of a combination of a cult of celebrity around him (a pernicious and ongoing problem especially within large media organisations like the BBC), and society in general not taking child abuse seriously.
If it had been explicitly proven to the wider public they would not have tolerated it.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:28   #259
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Is it possible that had we not evolved as a society through the slavery days to present day enlightenment that the people tearing down or defacing statues would not be here and they would now be living in Africa? Would Africa be doing better than it is now?

Another thing, the BBC and prolly the other main stations, spent a considerable amount of time broadcasting the George Floyd funeral live. This is pure woke bias for which there is little or no merit.

As to statues of slavers, some of whom were philanthropes towards their community, a suitably worded plaque could be added that is correctly in tune with sentiment.

The George Floyd funeral seems to have been judged by broadcasters an event of international significance and more newsworthy. Given the impact his death has made on the UK, that appears a good call to me. We live in an era of multi-channel and on-demand TV, so plenty of options for all.

Some slave-traders and plantation-owners did donate some of their ill-gotten gains to charity but this does not wipe their slates clean. In the case of Edward Colston, Hugh posted a link about the attempts to add a contextualised placque but these seemed to have been blocked by vested interests.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:33   #260
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
a) This is not new information, this is new perspective. If they had known about Saville in the 80s they would not have tolerated it. Everyone knew how these slavers made their money, it was not a secret. It was not exactly fondly looked upon at the time by everyone.

b) It is manifestly not true that this is providing a fuller picture. You are not providing more information about a film by removing it, or statues.

c) I work with these people. Here's another quote from Orwell:
This is entirely true in my experience. In fact they can't help themselves.

We can quote Orwell all day:

Quote:
England is not the jewelled isle of Shakespeare's much-quoted message, nor is it the inferno depicted by Dr Goebbels. More than either it resembles a family, a rather stuffy Victorian family, with not many black sheep in it but with all its cupboards bursting with skeletons. It has rich relations who have to be kow-towed to and poor relations who are horribly sat upon, and there is a deep conspiracy of silence about the source of the family income.
Orwell wasn't someone who hated Britain but was also not shy about stating that it did bad things and in the above quote references how we were reluctant to discuss it.

It isn't hating Britain to want to account and talk about the bad as well as the good parts of our history. I think it gives you more credibility to be proud of, for example, defeating fascism in Europe if you also acknowledge the bad.

As I said I am ambivalent on the removal of the statue but I do think we shouldn't have statues glorifying people who were slave traders without adding that bit of context. Would you support keeping the statue and adding that context? Changing the inscriptions of such statues to show how their wealth was acquired, how the money that built these cities was acquired? There is also the idea of changing the statue to reflect it's being pulled down. That way both parts of the history are shown.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:35   #261
downquark1
cf.mega poster

downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
We can quote Orwell all day:

Orwell wasn't someone who hated Britain but was also not shy about stating that it did bad things and in the above quote references how we were reluctant to discuss it.

It isn't hating Britain to want to account and talk about the bad as well as the good parts of our history. I think it gives you more credibility to be proud of, for example, defeating fascism in Europe if you also acknowledge the bad.

As I said I am ambivalent on the removal of the statue but I do think we shouldn't have statues glorifying people who were slave traders without adding that bit of context. Would you support keeping the statue and adding that context? Changing the inscriptions of such statues to show how their wealth was acquired, how the money that built these cities was acquired? There is also the idea of changing the statue to reflect it's being pulled down. That way both parts of the history are shown.
I am not an English chauvinist, half my family comes from Eastern Europe. I can criticise England all day long. I am warning you about iconoclasm and cultural revolution.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:47   #262
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Nobody seemed to mind when new information came out about some modern-day "heroes", which informed a different viewpoint (Saville & Harris) - don’t hear calls for memorials for their philanthropic work...

It’s not about "removing heroes", it’s about providing a fuller picture, rather than the sanitised version currently in place.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:49   #263
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
I am not an English chauvinist, half my family comes from Eastern Europe. I can criticise England all day long. I am warning you about iconoclasm and cultural revolution.
I didn't say you were. I was saying that the people who want to provoke this debate aren't, all, people who could be summed up by Orwell's quote about the left and institutions.

I don't think this is a cultural revolution. I think it's just one of those flashpoints that will abate rather soon, likely after people go too far. I.E The people who want to remain Gladstone hall in Liverpool because his family had slave holdings.

The statue of slaveholders will likely go. However, there seems to be wider support for that even if they disagree with the way it was done. I think the idea of putting them in museums where they can be seen alongside the additional context of how they got their money is a sensible idea and isn't destorying the statue.

Last edited by Damien; 10-06-2020 at 11:53.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:57   #264
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

So do we erase history.Ignore it?
After all the quote is those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.Is that why we fought not one but 2 world wars?

Surely there is a way for us to actually finally learn and keep learning without erasing the bad people from the history of the globe?We need ogres to remind us what can go wrong.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:13   #265
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I didn't say you were. I was saying that the people who want to provoke this debate aren't, all, people who could be summed up by Orwell's quote about the left and institutions.

I don't think this is a cultural revolution. I think it's just one of those flashpoints that will abate rather soon, likely after people go too far. I.E The people who want to remain Gladstone hall in Liverpool because his family had slave holdings.

The statue of slaveholders will likely go. However, there seems to be wider support for that even if they disagree with the way it was done. I think the idea of putting them in museums where they can be seen alongside the additional context of how they got their money is a sensible idea and isn't destorying the statue.
Well I pray you are correct however I will remind you we are in a global crisis, a few weeks ago the prime minister almost died, Parliament cannot meet properly, the old cannot leave their houses without risk of dying and the most pressing issue was a civil servant who drove to Durham.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:21   #266
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Well I pray you are correct however I will remind you we are in a global crisis, a few weeks ago the prime minister almost died, Parliament cannot meet properly, the old cannot leave their houses without risk of dying and the most pressing issue was a civil servant who drove to Durham.
Spot on - plus the funeral in USA.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:30   #267
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Things always seem chaotic at the time and eventually things just carry on. We've certainly seen worst violence at protests than we have with this BLM, G20 riots for one.

All this will pass and we'll be onto the next thing.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:30   #268
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

I feel sorry for the pigeons, years of crapping on statues . . . then all of a sudden your regular toilet is in a museum
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:48   #269
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I feel sorry for the pigeons, years of crapping on statues . . . then all of a sudden your regular toilet is in a museum
Don't worry, they'll just use my car. They usually do.
Old 10-06-2020, 14:32   #270
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Spot on. In 1980 I worked at a radio station in Leeds. It was a very junior position but, nevertheless, I was told that if Saville was ever in the building I should never, ever leave him alone with any children, male or female.

If a junior employee knew about it, obviously those higher up the hierarchy did.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote