Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 25-03-2019, 22:11   #1036
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Sound like your setup is wrong.

I have a Panasonic tv ad HDR on Amazon Prime and Netflix is amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
ive got a samsung uhd tv and the HDR on amazon prime just looks dull.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-03-2019, 22:13   #1037
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post

Perhaps the Panasonic is a better tv than the Samsung?
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 22:26   #1038
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Must be a lot of us wth bad setups then as many have reported the same all over the web.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 06:17   #1039
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

judging by the number of people who fixed issues during the World Cup - I would say "yes - a lot of bad setups"

Could be a bad app on some brands. My old Samsing was bad.
Old 26-03-2019, 08:14   #1040
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

Quote:

any advice as to how to set it up properly?

---------- Post added at 07:14 ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 ----------

Quote:
judging by the number of people who fixed issues during the World Cup - I would say "yes - a lot of bad setups"

Could be a bad app on some brands. My old Samsing was bad.
World cup through my virgin tivo wasnt dull at all.
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 10:50   #1041
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
any advice as to how to set it up properly?

---------- Post added at 07:14 ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 ----------

World cup through my virgin tivo wasnt dull at all.
Despite what Ozsat says there are issues with some of the Netflix HDR content and I've seen Amazon titles reported.

Ozark in HDR is particualry poor and I've tried this on numerous sets both OLED and LED and played along with settings. There are full threads about the darkness in this title.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 14:19   #1042
ozsat
cf.mega poster

I'm not disputing that some titles may look bad - the OP seems to imply the app is bad.
Old 18-05-2019, 11:44   #1043
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

The beebs coverage of the FA Cup final today will have a limited number of slots available via the iPlayer to watch it in 4K UHD
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 12:14   #1044
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

It would be interesting to see the viewing figures for the Virgin Media UHD channel. Although it broadcasts only during peak times, when it is on air, everything seems to be very watchable and there are no commercials at all. I've been watching Start Up, The Art of More, Shut Eye and some of the nature programmes on it, and it's very good. It's a shame that there is not more prominence given to the schedules, and made clearer that you don't need a 4K TV to watch it.

This is tonight's schedule.

7.10pm Great Parks of Africa
8.00pm Aerial America
9.00pm House of Cards
9.55pm Masters of Sex
10.50pm Peter Gabriel: Back To Front - Live at the O2
12.30am Paramount Movies Spotlights

Other good series on the channel this week include Legion, Bloodline and Absentia. Try as I might, I cannot find sufficient programmes of similar quality next week on Sky One that I would want to record. If I'm blunt about it, there is absolutely nothing on that channel worth recording at present.apart from Jamestown (which my wife likes, although it's a bit too sugar coated for me) and SEAL Team. I'm assuming that's good but haven't started watching it yet.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 14:53   #1045
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It would be interesting to see the viewing figures for the Virgin Media UHD channel. Although it broadcasts only during peak times, when it is on air, everything seems to be very watchable and there are no commercials at all. I've been watching Start Up, The Art of More, Shut Eye and some of the nature programmes on it, and it's very good. It's a shame that there is not more prominence given to the schedules, and made clearer that you don't need a 4K TV to watch it.

This is tonight's schedule.

7.10pm Great Parks of Africa
8.00pm Aerial America
9.00pm House of Cards
9.55pm Masters of Sex
10.50pm Peter Gabriel: Back To Front - Live at the O2
12.30am Paramount Movies Spotlights

Other good series on the channel this week include Legion, Bloodline and Absentia. Try as I might, I cannot find sufficient programmes of similar quality next week on Sky One that I would want to record. If I'm blunt about it, there is absolutely nothing on that channel worth recording at present.apart from Jamestown (which my wife likes, although it's a bit too sugar coated for me) and SEAL Team. I'm assuming that's good but haven't started watching it yet.
I was slightly surprised when VM launched their Ultra HD channel that they didn't make it available to all their customers. I can understand wanting to have something exclusive to the higher packages, but I thought Box Sets are better in that respect. I'd quite happily watch it downscaled to HD.

I suspect the reason VM don't have LoveNature in 4K is so they can use its content on their own channel, I'm perfectly happy watching LoveNature in SD as it still looks good upscaled.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 15:57   #1046
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I was slightly surprised when VM launched their Ultra HD channel that they didn't make it available to all their customers. I can understand wanting to have something exclusive to the higher packages, but I thought Box Sets are better in that respect. I'd quite happily watch it downscaled to HD.

I suspect the reason VM don't have LoveNature in 4K is so they can use its content on their own channel, I'm perfectly happy watching LoveNature in SD as it still looks good upscaled.
Yes, in fact they could extend their programme hours with LoveNature programming earlier in the day. Hopefully they will increase the number of broadcast hours before too long.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 18:01   #1047
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Managed to get into the beebs 4K coverage looking very good so far
Old 18-05-2019, 18:15   #1048
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Yep - shame about the lack of 5.1 audio still
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Managed to get into the beebs 4K coverage looking very good so far
Old 18-05-2019, 20:06   #1049
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Bar the lack of 5.1 audio that was a perfect UHD broadcast by the beeb on the iPlayer
Old 19-05-2019, 13:58   #1050
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post

Is it not?

I often record BT Sports 4K and watch it down scaled to HD - I think the PQ is better, unfortunately recordings take 3-4 times the disk space
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote