Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hub 5 at no extra cost

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Hub 5 at no extra cost

Old 27-01-2022, 16:58   #226
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation
Re: Hub 5 at no extra cost

None at all, none of the statistics match what's happening with the stability however, there has been two more MDD Timeout messages coinciding with brief 30 - 60 seconds of no internet since I made the first post though.

Here was the TBB monitor for the hub 3 before the switch:

vs now:

I've seen a few other people posting similar TBB graphs with the Hub 5 and having these disconnections, so it must be some kind of firmware bug, or the hardware is more susceptible to something?
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2022, 23:59   #227
Deaddrop
cf.member

Deaddrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Those forward path attenuators shouldn't really be used anymore and should really be swapped for a modern equivalent. Not all of them support the higher frequencies the hub 5 looks at.

Also on your post regarding power levels there should be an extra set of downstream data at the very bottom for the 3.1 OFDM channel. It has its own table.
Deaddrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 13:54   #228
ileikcaek
cf.addict

Our Foward Path Attenuator is one of the ones with the purple label and seemingly 65-860MHz, is 860 not high enough now?

I found a wideband attenuator 6dB 5 - 1006MHz in a drawer and put that in place and the statistics look a whole lot better with that though some channels are above 6dBmV and upstream is around 48dBmv, just waiting to see about the stability side of things but it seems a lot more settled so far.

In any case, there is no OFDM channel data showing for me on the download tab (no extra table or a channel 32 in the main table, though see reference in the log:

DS profile assignment change. DS Chan ID: 32; Previous Profile: 4; New Profile: 1 2 4.

I know it should be there on the Downstream tab too with further details, but has the OFDM channel information been seen on the Hub 5 status pages yet? I haven't seen it posted elsewhere so I am assuming they have the info hidden in the firmware right now.

Edit 14:22: Just had another brief outage again, Same thing, MDD Message Timeout followed by a code 1 then a code 4 when it re-established. very odd. Getting less of them now, seemingly but it's not gone away completely.

Last edited by ileikcaek; 03-02-2022 at 15:22.
Old 04-02-2022, 14:28   #229
Deaddrop
cf.member

Deaddrop is an unknown quantity at this point

That wideband is much better suited. Anything below 10db on the down is fine and 48 up is good too.

Since I posted that comment I have seen other reports that the OFDM carrier isn't reported in the GUI on hub 5s yet. So ignore for now.

Any change in the BQM out of interest?
Deaddrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 16:18   #230
ileikcaek
cf.addict

It was fine for a while, but then went completely unstable again. I phoned VM and was on the phone for over an hour today and the lady just came to a conclusion that she had exhausted all of her options (screen prompts I guess) and would need to refer it higher up the chain to someone who can analyse it (supposedly they will call back within 3 days) and they may replace the Hub 5.

There is a little bit of a pattern on the ping graphs and this only seems to be happening during hours where more people would be using the internet. It doesn't tend to drop out during the night as much, very strange!

Last edited by ileikcaek; 04-02-2022 at 16:21.
Old 16-04-2022, 15:51   #231
bigsinky
cf.addict

Services: Broadband Gig1
bigsinky is on a distinguished roadbigsinky is on a distinguished road

ive been away for a couple of months. any word on the new hub5 being issued to gig1 subscribers yet?
bigsinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 16:02   #232
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

No
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote