Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 18:15   #8161
davethejag
Inactive

davethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Hi, the news item has arrived in Computer Active as Alex said. -

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/comp...prompt-protest

Dave.
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2008, 18:53   #8162
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

http://news.bbc.co.uk/ > scroll down. At least it is linked from the front page today.
Top technology article today.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7438578.stm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News
BT should face prosecution for its "illegal" trials of a controversial ad-serving technology, a leading computer security researcher has said.

Dr Richard Clayton at the University of Cambridge made his comments after reviewing a leaked BT internal report.

The document reveals details of a 2006 BT trial with the Phorm system, which matches adverts to users' web habits

"It's against the law of the land, we must now expect to see a prosecution," he told BBC News.

But BT plans to push ahead with a further trial of the technology later this summer, the BBC has learnt.

"We have not announced a date yet; we are still planning - it will be quite soon," a spokesperson told BBC News.

Revelations about earlier trials have prompted some customers to organise protests in London to coincide with BT's AGM on 16 July.
Old 05-06-2008, 18:53   #8163
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

At last - the leaked trial document got to the mainstream media
BBC Technology - you just beat me to it. I was visiting the page to see if it was there, if not to send them details.
And I've dugged it/digged it/stuck a spade in it/whatever.

I've also sent that link to the Today programme.
Old 05-06-2008, 19:00   #8164
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/ > scroll down. At least it is linked from the front page today.
Top technology article today.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7438578.stm
BT should face prosecution for its "illegal" trials of a controversial ad-serving technology, a leading computer security researcher has said.
That's the first article the beeb have published since 22 April.

Their coverage of this scandal has been lamentable.
Old 05-06-2008, 19:12   #8165
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

Can someone help me out here.

I've been trying to search on Digg for the article that Alex wrote..

"http://digg.com/tech_news/BT_commited_113_million_allegedly_illegal_acts_in_ 8_days"

by using various search terms. Nothing, nada. It says something about trying to search in 'upcoming stories' but that doesn't work either.

How would I find this without the direct link?
Old 05-06-2008, 19:14   #8166
Frank Rizzo
Inactive

Frank Rizzo is an unknown quantity at this point

It got buried.

You need to check the box Include Buried Stories.
Old 05-06-2008, 19:16   #8167
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all
Question Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
At last - the leaked trial document got to the mainstream media
BBC Technology - you just beat me to it. I was visiting the page to see if it was there, if not to send them details.
And I've dugged it/digged it/stuck a spade in it/whatever.

I've also sent that link to the Today programme.
iPM? If Today won't pick it up we might be able to get it on iPM on 7 June.

BBC is supposedly "free from both political and commercial influence and answers only to its viewers and listeners".
Old 05-06-2008, 19:23   #8168
JackSon
Inactive

Services: Freeview, BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
JackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetBlowWhistler View Post
Can someone help me out here.

I've been trying to search on Digg for the article that Alex wrote..

"http://digg.com/tech_news/BT_commited_113_million_allegedly_illegal_acts_in_ 8_days"

by using various search terms. Nothing, nada. It says something about trying to search in 'upcoming stories' but that doesn't work either.

How would I find this without the direct link?
I had no joy with digg's search mechanism. Slapping this "site:digg.com bt trials illegal" into google did work, however, not the point I know.
Old 05-06-2008, 19:33   #8169
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
It got buried.

You need to check the box Include Buried Stories.
First - that didn't work either. I clicked the box marked 'upcoming' on the upper rhs of the page and then searched, but once in the searach area there isn't anything that mentions 'upcoming'

second - why is it buried? Not sure I understand digg
Old 05-06-2008, 19:44   #8170
Frank Rizzo
Inactive

Try this search term:

It searches in All sections, all area, search-buried, and ranks by number of diggs.

http://digg.com/search?s=Phorm&submi...=all&sort=most

As for it being buried I think we must have tripped one of the spam traps. Digg won't give reasons why or if individuals buried it, or if it is just temporarily suspended and will be released again.
Old 05-06-2008, 19:51   #8171
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

Quote:
Try this search term:

It searches in All sections, all area, search-buried, and ranks by number of diggs.

As for it being buried I think we must have tripped one of the spam traps. Digg won't give reasons why or if individuals buried it, or if it is just temporarily suspended and will be released again.
Thanks, I see where I was going wrong now
Old 05-06-2008, 19:55   #8172
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Try this search term:

That search worked I copied and pasted and it hads part hidden so didnt work first time
Old 05-06-2008, 19:58   #8173
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
digg: I suspect they have some kind of sandboxing going on to prevent spammers manipulating the site.

unfortunately it looks as if rapid digging emanating from one link source (say nodpi or here) incurs a penalty.

Far better to post a link to the digg article from many different sites rather than dozens here clicking the same link and then digging.

---

Further to the above just found some more suggestions:

* Mail users the link and get them to dig it via the mail link
* Locate the story from the Digg/Upcoming queue and tell people to digg it from there.
* On your page use the official "Digg This" icon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Also be wise to not click but copy and paste in the bar.
Given this, if a URL to digg is posted in future, should we :-

Copy the URL.
Visit a random site elsewhere.
Paste the Digg URL and digg from there.

Presumably the refering site would then be the random site visited?

We need to try to clarify this else there will be a lot of wasted effort/opportunity.
Old 05-06-2008, 20:08   #8174
Frank Rizzo
Inactive

I would suggest either of the following:

* Clicking on the Digg link direct from the article page. (Note that the article should also display the Digg Icon. Not for brownie points but so that Digg regulars will be inclined to dig it - like a prompt to action).

or

* Visiting the Digg homepage, navigating to where the digg article is (upcoming, technology) and digging there.
Old 05-06-2008, 20:26   #8175
Dephormation
Inactive

I just mailed iPM 'suggest a story';

ipm { at } bbc.co.uk
Closed Thread