Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21-05-2008, 15:23   #6946
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBear View Post
These idiots make my blood boil.

Google track the sites webmasters have given their permission for.
Amazon only do this for account holders with permission and it can be turned off in your preferences if you don't want it.

Neither of these is an argument for BT/Webwise/Phorm being able to do it.

OB
I will quote this on the site for you oldbear to let other see..
Advertisement
Old 21-05-2008, 15:27   #6947
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

http://www.capmarkets.com/9344/PHRM_....pdf?sfgdata=4

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I've had to stop reading it to let my blood temperature drop a little. There are some real doozer comments in this 'analysis'.

My personal favourite combination is ..

Quote:
While
the public debate has been vigorous, we think it has been within a narrow, selfreferring
constituency, and it has often been poorly informed.
combined with
Quote:
And third, the launch customers – BT, Carphone Warehouse and Virgin Media – have
also undergone extensive trialling of the technology, and none are in the business of
taking unnecessary risks on new technology adoption.
Mind you, the disclaimer on page 31 does say it is a marketting document :/
Old 21-05-2008, 15:44   #6948
davethejag
Inactive

davethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
About to go into the final exam of my degree....wish me luck. Ironically it is on Decision Support Systems (which could be used to describe a behavioural advertising model).

Just two papers left to hand in after today, one for my final year group project and one on the Patriot Act.

Alexander Hanff
Good Luck Alex, You deserve it!!

davethejag
Old 21-05-2008, 15:55   #6949
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Yet another one obviously being paid to make phorm/webwise look good selective copy and paste new words for those wishing to protect privacy and yet again shows the same venum at Alexander perhaps due to the fact Alexander is too well informed for Kent's liking and he can see Alexander as the opositions best chance to show webwise/phorm for what it is server side rootkit loggind everything from ip to postcode where we go what we do even able to say when we are in or out at out postcode... Phorm can be scripted to do all this it just takes a change in the get script and phorm van harvest what ever it wants from our PCs and we cant tell since it is server set in the ISP network... Anywhere esle we coudl flag up activity from unknown IPs but within the network we are trapped to the whims of the russian scripters and kents twisted mind.

Oh while I remember adverts I block all but amazon, aria, ebuyer, and other wesites I have bought from at my request i get these. I do not request targeted adverts from phorm or my ISP network..

Have a nice day.
Old 21-05-2008, 16:06   #6950
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

yep, what little change would be required to start scanning port 25 (smtp mail) and port 110 (pop3 mail) but then how would it cope with all the adverts spammed with snake oil cures for erectile dysfunction and keeping the wife / girlfriend / mistress happy all night (sorry not PC unless i added boyfriend as well)

this is how it could creap a few months after launch

peter
Old 21-05-2008, 16:06   #6951
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBear View Post
Google track the sites webmasters have given their permission for.
Amazon only do this for account holders with permission and it can be turned off in your preferences if you don't want it.

Neither of these is an argument for BT/Webwise/Phorm being able to do it.
The thing they don't seem to grasp is that Google creates a virtuous circle of benefit to the web site owner and benefit to the customer. Google does this at huge cost in terms of hardware investment, and indexing algorithm design.

Phorm are pure parasites looking for a quick buck. Webwise steals content from web site owners to sell ads for competitors. Webwise steals profile information from ISP customers without any benefit returned.

And relying on the "Google could do something unpleasant, so why can't we" argument doesn't really help their cause.
Old 21-05-2008, 16:10   #6952
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

I wish I hadn't given up drinking because I would be getting totally **** faced about now if I still drunk hehehe.

Final exam is OVER!!!!!!!!

I think it went well but considering I went into the exam almost completely blind (I totally neglected the module due to all this Phorm stuff, missed most of the lectures and didn't read any of the lecture notes, case studies or other material until last night) I have no real idea. I would be surprised if I got less than a 2:1 for the exam and possibly even a 1st so overall I am happy with how it went.

Writing 9 pages by hand in 90 minutes when the only time I use a pen is once a year for exams, is a bit of a killer though. Temp RSI is not very pleasant.

Alexander Hanff
Old 21-05-2008, 16:17   #6953
bluecar1
Inactive

bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

i assume that as they would see the request go out to a ssl site and see the cert come back they could even read ssl protect web traffic

now that is scary.

the only secure comms safe would then be if you hold a certificate locally issued by the remote end so all traffic (even the link setup) is encrypted, OR MOVE ISP
Old 21-05-2008, 16:22   #6954
Paul Delaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
I wish I hadn't given up drinking because I would be getting totally **** faced about now if I still drunk hehehe.

Final exam is OVER!!!!!!!!

I think it went well but considering I went into the exam almost completely blind (I totally neglected the module due to all this Phorm stuff, missed most of the lectures and didn't read any of the lecture notes, case studies or other material until last night) I have no real idea. I would be surprised if I got less than a 2:1 for the exam and possibly even a 1st so overall I am happy with how it went.

Writing 9 pages by hand in 90 minutes when the only time I use a pen is once a year for exams, is a bit of a killer though. Temp RSI is not very pleasant.

Alexander Hanff
Congratulations Alexander!

How about a joint to celebrate?

I'll get me coat...

Old 21-05-2008, 16:23   #6955
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar1 View Post
i assume that as they would see the request go out to a ssl site and see the cert come back they could even read ssl protect web traffic

now that is scary.

the only secure comms safe would then be if you hold a certificate locally issued by the remote end so all traffic (even the link setup) is encrypted, OR MOVE ISP
I moved ISP now I get a phorm phree service and much faster than my old cable connection and that is worrying...
Old 21-05-2008, 16:24   #6956
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Delaney View Post
Congratulations Alexander!

How about a joint to celebrate?

I'll get me coat...

No Comment

Alexander Hanff
Old 21-05-2008, 16:32   #6957
bluecar1
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I moved ISP now I get a phorm phree service and much faster than my old cable connection and that is worrying...
i am trying but still have 9 months of a 18 month contract to go, so hoping BT will try and force a change of T's and C's on me so i can get out early.

how do you like my blue car , just added it , same model and colour as my real one, 1 year old and 35,000 miles
Old 21-05-2008, 16:36   #6958
Florence
Inactive

very nice now they know what you drive around in they can take over your thought with sublime messages to try and make you conphorm
Old 21-05-2008, 16:37   #6959
thebarron
Inactive

Services: VM 10mb, phone
thebarron is on a distinguished roadthebarron is on a distinguished road

Just browsing in my little campaign to the big retailers and I found this on the Tesco site.

http://www.tesco.com/termsandconditi...tm#Limitations

It would seem that Phorm would fall foul of this.
Old 21-05-2008, 17:05   #6960
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetBlowWhistler View Post
Not one single mention of copyright in that document... even goes as far as saying...
"For the first time, the entire browsing behaviour of a consumer across the entire Internet can be profiled – and not just within the limited confines of ad networks."
To paraphrase, "we steal the whole internet, not just within the limited confines of the content we pay for, or can demonstrate consent to exploit".

If this garbage is ever switched on... and privacy is ignored by the ICO, RIPA is ignored by the Home Office, and Computer Misuse doesn't trouble the Police...

Copyright claims will toast ISPs like a blowtorch on a box of petrol soaked fire lighters.
Closed Thread