Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Government & Post Election Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Government & Post Election Discussion
Closed Thread

Old 14-10-2018, 00:39   #1546
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Government & Post Election Discussion

I like how you speak as if you have knowledge of how/why people wanted to leave the EU.

Clue - you don't.

I have wanted to leave the EU for over a decade, so don't come up with rubbish about Brexit being a scapegoat for crap government and or a protest vote - though I don't doubt there were protest votes, I actually believe people voted for Brexit en-masse, because, um, they actually do want to leave the EU.
Advertisement
Old 14-10-2018, 07:54   #1547
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Brexit was the result of the government not really listening to the electorate. [SEPH]: That doesn't make sense. In absolute terms Brexit was/is the result of the electorate's decision in the Referendum. If the government hadn't listened to the electorate, what was that about? What had the electorate told government (and how)?

People voted to leave as much in protest at the government as any other reason, despite the total leave assumption by those who took the voting options at face value. May compounded this with a bizarre set of manifesto pledges which ended up leaving them with no clear majority. [SEPH]: This is pure fantasy; you seem to be saying that people were fed up with Cameron's government (why?) and took it out on Cameron in this specific Referendum. Or maybe they were disappointed with Cameron being able to bring back better concessions in his relationship negotiation - which was always doomed as Brexit negotiations have been.

I see no further point in trying to change a closed mind regarding our undemocratic electoral system. Disillusionment with the governments we get lumped with will continue. [SEPH]: As it happens, I voted FOR the Alternative Single Transferable Vote proposition. But I don't find first past the post undemocratic; only Lib-Dems and other also ran generally feel that way. As to disillusionment with governments we get - PR wouldn't change that; it would be wrangling central as the Tory/Lib coalition more or less proved.

My advice is at your risk.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 14-10-2018 at 08:54. Reason: typo
Old 14-10-2018, 08:48   #1548
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I like how you speak as if you have knowledge of how/why people wanted to leave the EU.

Clue - you don't.

I have wanted to leave the EU for over a decade, so don't come up with rubbish about Brexit being a scapegoat for crap government and or a protest vote - though I don't doubt there were protest votes, I actually believe people voted for Brexit en-masse, because, um, they actually do want to leave the EU.
No I don't, but then neither do you.

There were a whole load of reasons why people voted to leave. The insistence on this only being the simplistic options given on the ballot paper is and will continue to be the problem.

---------- Post added at 08:48 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

@Sephiroth Please explain why genuine PR would not change anything?

What was offered was little different to FPTP, so I m not surprised the majority voted to keep the known undemocratic system rather than switch to a similarly undemocratic electoral system.
Old 14-10-2018, 08:57   #1549
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
No I don't, but then neither do you.

There were a whole load of reasons why people voted to leave. The insistence on this only being the simplistic options given on the ballot paper is and will continue to be the problem.

---------- Post added at 08:48 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

@Sephiroth Please explain why genuine PR would not change anything?

What was offered was little different to FPTP, so I m not surprised the majority voted to keep the known undemocratic system rather than switch to a similarly undemocratic electoral system.
Well, of course, it would change something. Parliament would be as huge a mess as it is now with parties raging against each other, coalitions being strained and so on. The UK doesn't have a tradition of PR so people's thought processes don't gravitate towards that kind of governance. As I say about Europe, we look alike but don't think alike.

Old 14-10-2018, 09:31   #1550
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Well, of course, it would change something. Parliament would be as huge a mess as it is now with parties raging against each other, coalitions being strained and so on. The UK doesn't have a tradition of PR so people's thought processes don't gravitate towards that kind of governance. As I say about Europe, we look alike but don't think alike.
"Europe" doesn’t think alike - the Nordic countries think differently from the Central European countries, who think differently from the Med countries, and even within those areas there are different ways of thinking/approaches.

Conflating “Europe" as one group thinking the same way is a fallacy, and used to support a "us vs them" approach.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 14-10-2018, 10:06   #1551
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
No, parliament would reflect the wishes of the voters. Parties would have to negotiate and plan for the longer term, rather than be dogmatic, tunnel visioned and out of touch with the electorate.
Old 14-10-2018, 13:49   #1552
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
No, parliament would reflect the wishes of the voters. Parties would have to negotiate and plan for the longer term, rather than be dogmatic, tunnel visioned and out of touch with the electorate.
In an ideal world, yes. But to take the Brexit example, the 52/48 split is broadly reflected in parliament. And those useless whatsits can’t “negotiate and plan for the longer term...”.

Old 14-10-2018, 14:04   #1553
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Quote:
In an ideal world, yes. But to take the Brexit example, the 52/48 split is broadly reflected in parliament. And those useless whatsits can’t “negotiate and plan for the longer term...”.
FPTP only works with a binary choice. Parliament has not had the support of the majority of voters since 1935 - apart from 2010 when we had the Con/Lib coalition, which despite people disapproving at least the majority supported the coalition in terms of votes.
Old 14-10-2018, 14:32   #1554
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
FPTP only works with a binary choice. Parliament has not had the support of the majority of voters since 1935 - apart from 2010 when we had the Con/Lib coalition, which despite people disapproving at least the majority supported the coalition in terms of votes.
FPTP works better if there is STV sitting behind it. I’m a democrat at heart and I don’t want a fractious parliament that is paralysed like at present.

Old 14-10-2018, 14:56   #1555
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Quote:
FPTP works better if there is STV sitting behind it. I’m a democrat at heart and I don’t want a fractious parliament that is paralysed like at present.
It is paralysed because it does not have the support of the majority of the population. In reality around 36% of the votes made any impact on the result. PR forces coalitions with majority support of the voters.

Voters are not buying into the Tory or Labour manifesto pledges in sufficient numbers for them to do the job unhindered. As the Libs got burned last time by little more than lip service coalition, they are not going to jump in again without a decent negotiation and guarantees, neither of which May was prepared to offer. Instead of which, a party no one on the mainland can vote for, is holding the Tories to ransom.

People vote X because it is better than Y, rather than voting for Z whose policies they actually support. PR gives people the choice to vote for what they actually support, rather than the negative voting of the current system.
Old 14-10-2018, 18:27   #1556
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
It is paralysed because it does not have the support of the majority of the population. In reality around 36% of the votes made any impact on the result. PR forces coalitions with majority support of the voters.

Voters are not buying into the Tory or Labour manifesto pledges in sufficient numbers for them to do the job unhindered. As the Libs got burned last time by little more than lip service coalition, they are not going to jump in again without a decent negotiation and guarantees, neither of which May was prepared to offer. Instead of which, a party no one on the mainland can vote for, is holding the Tories to ransom.

People vote X because it is better than Y, rather than voting for Z whose policies they actually support. PR gives people the choice to vote for what they actually support, rather than the negative voting of the current system.
Well, partly correct. However, you may have a coalition which has the support of the majority of the population, but is as weak as the current government because although the numbers add up, every decision has to be put off, diluted or abandoned to get cross party support.

Look at the series of weak governments Italy has had to put up with over the years. We don't want that here.
Old 14-10-2018, 21:20   #1557
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, partly correct. However, you may have a coalition which has the support of the majority of the population, but is as weak as the current government because although the numbers add up, every decision has to be put off, diluted or abandoned to get cross party support.

Look at the series of weak governments Italy has had to put up with over the years. We don't want that here.
No it does not have the support of the majority of the population. 43.3% of those who voted did so for either the Tories or the DUP. 42.4% Tory, 0.9% DUP.
Old 14-10-2018, 21:44   #1558
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
No it does not have the support of the majority of the population. 43.3% of those who voted did so for either the Tories or the DUP. 42.4% Tory, 0.9% DUP.
That might be a somewhat naïve view. It isn't 100% true that people who voted one way oppose everything done by the other party in power.

Old 15-10-2018, 00:55   #1559
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
That might be a somewhat naïve view. It isn't 100% true that people who voted one way oppose everything done by the other party in power.
It’s also isn’t 100% true people who voted one way at a point in time would consistently vote the same way again...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 15-10-2018, 06:32   #1560
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Don't be surprised if that is what we get for the couple of fixed terms unless a Thatcher or Blair comes along.