Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SH3 conundrum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

SH3 conundrum

Old 12-10-2018, 15:29   #31
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: SH3 conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
I've reverted to the old VM wifi app now that works, so from memory, when it hasn't 'stopped', in order to connect to an external VM SH, you select Virgin Media from the available SSID and then prompts to set up the configuration - unknown settings to me.
Android only here. Moto X4 Oreo 8
With the Virgin Media Connect app, when running as a background app, it'll scan the available WiFi networks and then connect you to a VM WiFi hotspot if it's in range and a good enough signal.

There are two options there, it will either do it only when your WiFi is enabled by yourself, or you can choose an option in the Connect app for it to turn on your WiFi when in range of a good enough hotspot.

With the Connect app, you don't need to and can't manually select one of the Virgin Media WiFi SSIDs to connect to - because as you've seen they're not set up in the main Android WiFi list.

This is different to the way the WiFi app worked which did install the UK Virgin Media WiFi SSIDs in the Android WiFi list

Last edited by BenMcr; 12-10-2018 at 15:32.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2018, 15:36   #32
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

If the previous VM wifi app was not working properly, I might give the connect app another go. However the connect app doesn't offer any benefits to me as a non mighty SH3 I'll give it a miss. I did email the app developers and they said they're still working on it, hence the stopping error message. (Couldn't post this screenshot for some reason).

Presently on the old wifi app, Virgin Media (SSID) is saved by Virgin Media WiFi.
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 15:50   #33
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
Presently on the old wifi app, Virgin Media (SSID) is saved by Virgin Media WiFi.
Yup.

But just as a note, it's only the Connect app that'll allow the EU WiFi hotspots.

The older VM WiFi app is UK hotspots only.