Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V6 and internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

V6 and internet

Old 13-09-2018, 18:24   #1
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
V6 and internet

Hi all
Been contemplating switching to Tivo V6 from my current old school 500 GB tivo, but there are pros and cons from my perspective.
I believe the V6 uses the internet connection from the router whereas the older Tivo has a dedicated 10 MBPS internet connection of its own.
Would the V6 still work to display TV etc if the router failed or is it essential to have an internet connection to operate.
Also would they try and persuade me to get a shub 3, i'm reasonably happy with my shub 2 as it does all the things i need it to do fairly well and i really don't like the reports of the shub 3.
Also can i keep old box elsewhere and if so how much would that be, i guess it would also need to be connected up in new location by engineer.

Ta for any info.

Last edited by daveeb; 13-09-2018 at 18:45. Reason: afterthought
daveeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2018, 18:53   #2
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: V6 and internet

TiVo and V6 operate the same except that they get their internet connection from different places. In that respect, V6 continues to operate the same as TiVo when they lose their internet connection.
When either loses its broadband connection, they continue to provide Live TV, allow watching recordings and record programs which are scheduled.
Each would lose Catch Up and On Demand and access to apps which require the internet.
With an extended broadband outage, each would run out of Guide.
You would likely be asked to take a Hub 3.0 but, in my experience, it works well, assuming you configure it to broadcast separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 18:58   #3
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Many thanks for that RE.
What would be my options and cost for keeping the old box as well. It's currently plumbed in close to the router but i'd want to move it from the main tv. Would i need homeplugs to incorporate it into the network (this could be a problem as i already have a couple of tp link homeplugs running my sons xbox 1 from the router).
Old 13-09-2018, 19:26   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
Many thanks for that RE.
What would be my options and cost for keeping the old box as well. It's currently plumbed in close to the router but i'd want to move it from the main tv. Would i need homeplugs to incorporate it into the network (this could be a problem as i already have a couple of tp link homeplugs running my sons xbox 1 from the router).
The old box doesn't *need* to be connected to the SuperHub at all, but if it was, you'd be able to watch recordings from one box to the other. It would need a coax cable feed wherever you are moving it to, though.

You'd have to speak about VM about the cost.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 20:13   #5
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

The standard, additional monthly cost is £7.50 but, as always, have a chat with Retentions.
Old 13-09-2018, 20:16   #6
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The old box doesn't *need* to be connected to the SuperHub at all, but if it was, you'd be able to watch recordings from one box to the other. It would need a coax cable feed wherever you are moving it to, though.

You'd have to speak about VM about the cost.

Thanks SP i'll see what Virgin have to say.

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
The standard, additional monthly cost is £7.50 but, as always, have a chat with Retentions.

Thanks..probably not worth it as I only want to be able to view some archived football matches from it.
Old 13-09-2018, 20:38   #7
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

My understanding is that others have reported that you can continue to watch recordings on an old TiVo, even when disconnected from the cable co-ax, as long as you don’t power it down. It does eventually, as I understand, realise it is no longer connected and stop letting you have access to the recordings. Worth leaving it powered and connected to a separate HDMI on your TV?
Old 13-09-2018, 20:44   #8
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
My understanding is that others have reported that you can continue to watch recordings on an old TiVo, even when disconnected from the cable co-ax, as long as you don’t power it down. It does eventually, as I understand, realise it is no longer connected and stop letting you have access to the recordings. Worth leaving it powered and connected to a separate HDMI on your TV?

Yes i read that as well, but i assumed if i got a V6 they'd want the old one back ?
Old 13-09-2018, 20:52   #9
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Possibly, but sometimes not. It can be hit and miss.

I'd chat to retentions (as said above) - depending on your package they might be able to do something and offer you the second box for less than the statutory £7.50 fee.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 21:44   #10
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

My understanding is that the only equipment currently wanted back are Hub 3.0s and V6s.
Old 13-09-2018, 22:11   #11
daveeb
cf.mega poster

So the plan is to do the annual retentions call tomorrow, thanks all for the input
Old 13-09-2018, 22:44   #12
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Don't take any nonsense off them - there's been a price rise after all - times are tight

One thing just to watch in any documentation is that they don't try to make it a 9 month discount in a 12 month deal - they've been known to 'forget' that detail.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 23:44   #13
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
My understanding is that the only equipment currently wanted back are Hub 3.0s and V6s.
Some 500GB TiVos are also collected.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 05:13   #14
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

I was told to recycle my Tivo when replaced by V6, currently awaiting visit to tip?
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 12:01   #15
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Don't take any nonsense off them - there's been a price rise after all - times are tight

One thing just to watch in any documentation is that they don't try to make it a 9 month discount in a 12 month deal - they've been known to 'forget' that detail.

I actually got what I thought was a reasonable offer ??....£11 off for the first 6 months, goes up £4 on 7th month for another 6 months (but said I could ring back to try to re-negotiaite at this point) but still £7 cheaper than the £72 they were upping the price to for full house tv, weekend phone and 100 MB BB.