Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 2018 price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

2018 price rises

Old 25-08-2018, 19:27   #106
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Re: 2018 price rises

I had my letter of price increase £3.02 per month that is for landline, 100 meg BB and I think they call the Tv Player. I don't watch Virgin Tv as I get all I want via free view by the aerial.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-08-2018, 09:13   #107
StevenNT
cf.addict

Services: 500Mb Hyperoptic, Sky Signature with HD, UHD and Ultimate On Demand
StevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about them

Did my weekly check of my apartment mailbox and sadly nothing there apart from some takeaway leaflets. Hopefully I'd see something soon.
StevenNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 11:13   #108
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Now I phoned for the other account and it was basically 'name your price' but you'll lose the permanent mates rates discount and be joining the merry go round every year.
A lot bigger discounts can be had than 'mates rates'. Easy enough each year to get another 'discount'.

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNT View Post
Did my weekly check of my apartment mailbox and sadly nothing there apart from some takeaway leaflets. Hopefully I'd see something soon.
What , you're looking forward to a price rise letter?. No news=good news on that front, particularly if you've just renegotiated a contract.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 11:23   #109
StevenNT
cf.addict

Services: 500Mb Hyperoptic, Sky Signature with HD, UHD and Ultimate On Demand
StevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
What , you're looking forward to a price rise letter?. No news=good news on that front, particularly if you've just renegotiated a contract.
Nope, I'm not. But did make a package change early August to cancel a phone feature (Manage My Privacy and Calls) but signed up as a new customer in early July. I don't know if I'm due a price increase as a result as it didn't generate a new contract.
StevenNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 20:09   #110
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNT View Post
Nope, I'm not. But did make a package change early August to cancel a phone feature (Manage My Privacy and Calls) but signed up as a new customer in early July. I don't know if I'm due a price increase as a result as it didn't generate a new contract.
As you signed up in early July you'll get a price rise letter and or email at some stage in the coming weeks

I think they are all done 1 area at a time
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 14:08   #111
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I got my email last week

From 1st October, your bill will be going up by £4 a month

We understand that a price rise is never welcome. Yet with broadband usage increasing across our network by 31% last year, we need to continue investing in it so that you're brilliantly connected to the stuff you love. And of course, you'll still enjoy things like inclusive servicing and repairs for your peace of mind.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 14:14   #112
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
I got my email last week

From 1st October, your bill will be going up by £4 a month

We understand that a price rise is never welcome. Yet with broadband usage increasing across our network by 31% last year, we need to continue investing in it so that you're brilliantly connected to the stuff you love. And of course, you'll still enjoy things like inclusive servicing and repairs for your peace of mind.
Mm, if broadband usage is increasing so are VMs profits.... More likely the increase is funding the extra discounts/lost customers as a result of the UKTV fiasco.
Old 30-08-2018, 20:31   #113
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Well the Tivo is going and so is the phone... lets see what the charge for 150 meg just for broadband will be (or a better deal)... if it is to expensive than I may strongly consider going to Sky.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 18:01   #114
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Still no letter or email here ...
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:09   #115
MrB
cf.addict

MrB is on a distinguished roadMrB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Now I phoned for the other account and it was basically 'name your price' but you'll lose the permanent mates rates discount and be joining the merry go round every year.
We had a Mates Rates discount for a while - when we joined it was half price if I recall correctly. It diminished to the point where most reports on here and elsewhere were cheaper deals without the Mates Rates, so we left after another rise. We returned under a new customer deal later that worked out much cheaper.

If it is correct and there aren't other deals, the new Mates Rates deals are now only £5 cheaper the on the main website:
https://www.virginmediapartners.com/matesrates/offers

Last edited by MrB; 02-09-2018 at 10:15.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 16:14   #116
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
We had a Mates Rates discount for a while - when we joined it was half price if I recall correctly. It diminished to the point where most reports on here and elsewhere were cheaper deals without the Mates Rates, so we left after another rise. We returned under a new customer deal later that worked out much cheaper.

If it is correct and there aren't other deals, the new Mates Rates deals are now only £5 cheaper the on the main website:
https://www.virginmediapartners.com/matesrates/offers

It looks like it depends on how many and what level of services you take. VIP has £15 off on the page you linked to. I'm on Full House with Vivid 200 and would be happy with the £10 off a month that it states.
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 19:29   #117
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Mm, if broadband usage is increasing so are VMs profits.... More likely the increase is funding the extra discounts/lost customers as a result of the UKTV fiasco.
??

If 4 million customers used an average of (made up figure) 350GB in 2016, and 4 million customers used an average of 500GB in 2017, how are profits increasing? Same number of customers, same revenue, just using the service more...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 03-09-2018 at 20:44.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:21   #118
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
??

If 4 million customers used an average of (made up figure) 350GB in 2016, and 4 million customers used an average of 500GB in 2017, how are profits increasing? Same number of customers, same revenue, just using the service more...
VMs revenue increased by 4.1% between 2017/18 (before this latest price rise).
https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...-overview.html.
There aren't major cost pressures demanding yet another inflation busting rise, just greedy demands from investors.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:35   #119
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

This price rise necessitates a call to retentions team, I fear! It's sad that customers have to call every year to get the fair prices they deserve.

Anyone recently get a good deal on the Gamer plan?
Seems there's no alternative now (with 20meg upload...) and I have no need for the 350m service!

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:45   #120
MatthewEastaugh
cf.member

MatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really niceMatthewEastaugh is just really nice

No letter or email has arrived here as yet either, which is confusing...
MatthewEastaugh is offline   Reply With Quote