Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New box on Saturday

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New box on Saturday

Old 16-07-2020, 09:34   #16
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age
Re: New box on Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I have a V6 and TiVo so can compare. As mentioned the V6 is mostly better but there are a couple of drawbacks. You lose the scart output, which for me is handy as an extra output for another device. Also the TiVo has its own integrated BB connection, whereas the V6 is dependent on your separate BB connection. Usually this means it needs installing near your hub if you want a reliable wired connection. However I've mostly been ok with WiFi.

Having said that they do work well together streaming to each box, so you can use the advantages of each box if you have a V6/TiVo combination.
I have not used scart for years and my VM BB modem is less than a metre away from my box so no worries there either

---------- Post added at 09:34 ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Good foryou! Let us know what you think when you've had a play!
Will do!
johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-07-2020, 09:52   #17
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...tv-control-app
Click on "Streaming or downloading recordings"

Thanks for the link, confirms my experience - nothing I want to download can be.

The VM salesman told me this was possible 2.5 years ago when I joined. At no time was I ever told there were restrictions and I was never given a link to research.

I feel a little let down.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 09:57   #18
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

After many months trying to get our recorded stockpile down to a "VOD" level, we swapped our trusty TiVo out a few weeks back, and I just wish we'd have been able to do it sooner.

Losing my SL was a pain but I had them saved elsewhere so, oh well. The box itself, is just light years ahead and I'm beginning to wonder if a few "bugs" we were having with the old box were early warning signs of failure...

Just a couple of issues really... the power-saving options, I've realised that to use TV Control remotely, "Eco" mode won't work and it needs to be in "Connected" mode - the wording on the help pages seems to emphasise that home-streaming is the issue and not necessarily all remote access.

And more importantly, in "My shows" view, the program panel on the right-hand side has stopped displaying channel logos for anything recorded. It's showing the logos for any VOD bookmarks, but nothing else. I've rebooted the box once (first in 3 weeks) that made no difference, new/old recordings, toggled channel logos/names in the EPG, zilcho change.

When the box was swapped over, I created VOD-bookmarks for everything we'd not watched on the old box which we've now slowly got through, I'm guessing something's confused the poor thing but I can't seem to find how to un-confuse it :-/
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 10:21   #19
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Thanks for the link, confirms my experience - nothing I want to download can be.

The VM salesman told me this was possible 2.5 years ago when I joined. At no time was I ever told there were restrictions and I was never given a link to research.

I feel a little let down.
Are you primarily wanting to use it off your property then?
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 11:12   #20
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Are you primarily wanting to use it off your property then?
Anything downloaded, would be used off property - not sure why anyone would watch on an IPad when they have a 50" tv in the home.

Just good to be able to watch recordings when away or travelling.
Old 16-07-2020, 11:58   #21
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
And more importantly, in "My shows" view, the program panel on the right-hand side has stopped displaying channel logos for anything recorded. It's showing the logos for any VOD bookmarks, but nothing else. I've rebooted the box once (first in 3 weeks) that made no difference, new/old recordings, toggled channel logos/names in the EPG, zilcho change.
That's weird. So does it say "From:" but it's just blank under that?

Try a "Clear Programme Info & Planned Recs". (Despite the name it won't do any harm as long as you have no recordings scheduled in the next couple of hours)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 12:31   #22
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Anything downloaded, would be used off property - not sure why anyone would watch on an IPad when they have a 50" tv in the home.

Just good to be able to watch recordings when away or travelling.
Because there are other rooms in the house, other people have different tastes and it doesn't cost more to access recordings in other rooms that getting another box installed would involve.

Also some people hog the TV for live broadcasts when others may be in the mood for something else.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 13:54   #23
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
After many months trying to get our recorded stockpile down to a "VOD" level, we swapped our trusty TiVo out a few weeks back, and I just wish we'd have been able to do it sooner.

Losing my SL was a pain but I had them saved elsewhere so, oh well. The box itself, is just light years ahead and I'm beginning to wonder if a few "bugs" we were having with the old box were early warning signs of failure...

Just a couple of issues really... the power-saving options, I've realised that to use TV Control remotely, "Eco" mode won't work and it needs to be in "Connected" mode - the wording on the help pages seems to emphasise that home-streaming is the issue and not necessarily all remote access.

When the box was swapped over, I created VOD-bookmarks for everything we'd not watched on the old box which we've now slowly got through, I'm guessing something's confused the poor thing but I can't seem to find how to un-confuse it :-/
Can't Series Links be transferred over to a new box along with thumbs up/down etc?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 14:27   #24
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Because there are other rooms in the house, other people have different tastes and it doesn't cost more to access recordings in other rooms that getting another box installed would involve.

Also some people hog the TV for live broadcasts when others may be in the mood for something else.

I suspect I'm guilty as charged - but no-one watches programs on an IPad anywhere, let alone in the house.
Old 16-07-2020, 15:01   #25
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Can't Series Links be transferred over to a new box along with thumbs up/down etc?
Yes and it's quite straightforward.
Old 16-07-2020, 16:21   #26
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
That's weird. So does it say "From:" but it's just blank under that?

Try a "Clear Programme Info & Planned Recs". (Despite the name it won't do any harm as long as you have no recordings scheduled in the next couple of hours)
Yeah - the program graphic/picture shows, and channel name, and it's then just blank except for the HD logo if applicable.

I might try the clear info option, but what does it actually clear - I understood this to mean "delete the guide and all manual recordings, then download the guide from scratch"?

As for the SL copying - I'm sure it should be easy, but there seems to be a problem with it at the moment. A trickle of complaints on the VM forum, and I think a ticket might have been raised.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 07:11   #27
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Good for you! Let us know what you think when you've had a play!
Took 20 minutes for tech to install and about a hour for all the software to install and update. Picture quality and sound much better and Netflix takes about 5 seconds to load (my TiVo took about a minute!). So far well satisfied!! I'm gonna have a play with apps, recording, etc today...
Old 17-07-2020, 07:57   #28
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Are you using the VM SuperHub or your own router with a different DNS?

Quote:
Yeah - the program graphic/picture shows, and channel name, and it's then just blank except for the HD logo if applicable.

I might try the clear info option, but what does it actually clear - I understood this to mean "delete the guide and all manual recordings, then download the guide from scratch"?

As for the SL copying - I'm sure it should be easy, but there seems to be a problem with it at the moment. A trickle of complaints on the VM forum, and I think a ticket might have been raised.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 08:04   #29
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Are you using the VM SuperHub or your own router with a different DNS?
Hub 3.0
Old 17-07-2020, 08:21   #30
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I don't think you can change the DNS then. I lost all the channel logos once when I changed my router DNS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnasimmons View Post
Hub 3.0
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote