Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | European football clubs agree to create a Super League

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

European football clubs agree to create a Super League

Old 21-04-2021, 08:39   #76
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: European football clubs agree to create a Super League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
There will be those who might challenge the notion that football is a major part of UK culture. I know what you mean but I don't think it runs that deep.
If this is what you believe, then it's your connection to reality that doesn't run that deep.

I'm not a passionate football fan by any means, but in every workplace I've ever had, and every social setting I've ever been a part of, I have always come across plenty of people who at least have a view, probably will name 'their' team, and in some cases eat, sleep and breathe the sport.

I think your problem may be lack of familiarity with the working class part of British culture where the most passionate part of football's fan base is to be found. There are households where the season ticket is a family heirloom.

The sport may not matter to you, and obviously that's fine - but don't confuse 'things that aren't important to me' with 'things that aren't important.'
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-04-2021, 08:49   #77
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
<cough cough>

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...and-s-heritage

Or do you mean like our culture was submerged by the Normans?
Most people would know what I mean when I say that our culture will be submerged by others in the fullness of time.

Heritage and culture are different things.

---------- Post added at 08:49 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If this is what you believe, then it's your connection to reality that doesn't run that deep.

I'm not a passionate football fan by any means, but in every workplace I've ever had, and every social setting I've ever been a part of, I have always come across plenty of people who at least have a view, probably will name 'their' team, and in some cases eat, sleep and breathe the sport.

I think your problem may be lack of familiarity with the working class part of British culture where the most passionate part of football's fan base is to be found. There are households where the season ticket is a family heirloom.

The sport may not matter to you, and obviously that's fine - but don't confuse 'things that aren't important to me' with 'things that aren't important.'
Did Hugh write that piece for you?

My Spurs season ticket has passed down the family. Doesn't mean it's part of the (diminishing) culture surrounding me.

Thigs of 'importance' are not necessarily matters of 'culture'.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 08:57   #78
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Most people would know what I mean when I say that our culture will be submerged by others in the fullness of time.

Heritage and culture are different things.

---------- Post added at 08:49 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

Did Hugh write that piece for you?

My Spurs season ticket has passed down the family. Doesn't mean it's part of the (diminishing) culture surrounding me.

Thigs of 'importance' are not necessarily matters of 'culture'.
You are incorrect. Again, you're getting confused, because you insist on working in limited categories and often seem to prefer to look for binary opposition when there simply isn't any. It's great that the Spurs season ticket passes down your family, but it's not so great that with such an obvious cultural artefact right under your nose you still can't see it.

Everything humans do generates culture. If it's important, then its cultural influence is important. It really is that simple. I could write you an essay on it, but as I'm in the middle of writing a dissertation on it and I have a tutorial deadline this evening, I won't.

Suffice it to say that culture is not limited to whatever neoclassical snobbery insists it is.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 09:16   #79
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
<cough cough>

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...and-s-heritage

Or do you mean like our culture was submerged by the Normans?
What do you mean by our culture? we have been a multi cultural nation for millennia. Before the Normans you have the Vikings who had massive influence over vast areas of Anglo Saxon England which itself was made up largely of North Sea coast Europeans and Germanic Tribes and then before that the Romans although when they left their culture was weirdly left to rot
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 09:40   #80
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Agreed - "cultures" evolve.

But off-topic, so let’s celebrate the collapse of the ESL.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 09:42   #81
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Why the hell are Sky News and BBC News talking to Tony Blair over this, he should be told to STFU and butt out of this.

I guess he will be asked his option on the death of Jim Steinman next?
Old 21-04-2021, 09:53   #82
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
If our most popular sport, one which is increasing in terms of popularity still, is not part of our culture then what is? This is a bizarre take.

You have a Spurs Season ticket? So you've attended this massive 60,000 seater stadium they've built in North London, just two tube stops away from another 60,000 seater stadium built less than 20 years ago in North London and you don't think it's part of our culture? Wembley was rebuilt only recently too.

When we look back on the Romans one of the most popular impressions we have of their culture was the Colosseum and we've built tens of dozens of huge versions across the country with London have added four new massive ones in the last 20 or so years. If we were all suddenly wiped out and a future civilisation had to work out who we were based on what we left behind they would think we worshipped God(s) and football.

Last edited by Damien; 21-04-2021 at 09:59.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 10:18   #83
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Agreed - "cultures" evolve.

But off-topic, so let’s celebrate the collapse of the ESL.
The day football fans finally fought back.
Old 21-04-2021, 15:00   #84
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I cannot comprehend how these clubs thought it was a good idea, or that fans would support it.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 15:43   #85
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I cannot comprehend how these clubs thought it was a good idea, or that fans would support it.
I think they (the owners, not managers/players) were desperate for an increased income with which to pay off their ever mounting debts.

The monetary offer from JP Morgan, along with some probable 'sweet talking' over streaming rights that could net them £millions, blinded them to the fact that, unlike American audiences, the idea of franchised sport isn't something Europe cares for.

Oh, and they are business people, not sports people
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 16:38   #86
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Some fans (including the 6) say the 6 clubs still should be deducted points.
Old 21-04-2021, 16:46   #87
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Just received this cringing Open Letter from Joel Glazer.

To all Manchester United supporters,
Over the past few days, we have all witnessed the great passion which football generates, and the deep loyalty our fans have for this great club.
You made very clear your opposition to the European Super League, and we have listened. We got it wrong, and we want to show that we can put things right.
Although the wounds are raw and I understand that it will take time for the scars to heal, I am personally committed to rebuilding trust with our fans and learning from the message you delivered with such conviction.
We continue to believe that European football needs to become more sustainable throughout the pyramid for the long-term. However, we fully accept that the Super League was not the right way to go about it.
In seeking to create a more stable foundation for the game, we failed to show enough respect for its deep-rooted traditions –promotion, relegation, the pyramid – and for that we are sorry.
This is the world’s greatest football club and we apologise unreservedly for the unrest caused during these past few days.
It is important for us to put that right.
Manchester United has a rich heritage and we recognise our responsibility to live up to its great traditions and values.
The pandemic has thrown up so many unique challenges and we are proud of the way Manchester United and its fans from Manchester and around the world have reacted to the enormous pressures during this period.
We also realise that we need to better communicate with you, our fans, because you will always be at the heart of the club.
In the background, you can be sure that we will be taking the necessary steps to rebuild relationships with other stakeholders across the game, with a view to working together on solutions to the long-term challenges facing the football pyramid.
Right now, our priority is to continue to support all of our teams as they push for the strongest possible finish to the season.
In closing, I would like to recognise that it is your support which makes this club so great, and we thank you for that.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 17:43   #88
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Some fans (including the 6) say the 6 clubs still should be deducted points.
Thats just crazy vindictive talk (and no, I dont support any of them).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 17:51   #89
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

I remember (way back) when Man Utd were a club in profit every year, and then the Americans moved in

*strange thing When posting that, I had a vision of Gordon Hill scoring direct from corners . . . he was a player that lad
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 18:21   #90
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
Just received this cringing Open Letter from Joel Glazer.

To all Manchester United supporters,
Over the past few days, we have all witnessed the great passion which football generates, and the deep loyalty our fans have for this great club.
You made very clear your opposition to the European Super League, and we have listened. We got it wrong, and we want to show that we can put things right.
Although the wounds are raw and I understand that it will take time for the scars to heal, I am personally committed to rebuilding trust with our fans and learning from the message you delivered with such conviction.
We continue to believe that European football needs to become more sustainable throughout the pyramid for the long-term. However, we fully accept that the Super League was not the right way to go about it.
In seeking to create a more stable foundation for the game, we failed to show enough respect for its deep-rooted traditions –promotion, relegation, the pyramid – and for that we are sorry.
This is the world’s greatest football club and we apologise unreservedly for the unrest caused during these past few days.
It is important for us to put that right.
Manchester United has a rich heritage and we recognise our responsibility to live up to its great traditions and values.
The pandemic has thrown up so many unique challenges and we are proud of the way Manchester United and its fans from Manchester and around the world have reacted to the enormous pressures during this period.
We also realise that we need to better communicate with you, our fans, because you will always be at the heart of the club.
In the background, you can be sure that we will be taking the necessary steps to rebuild relationships with other stakeholders across the game, with a view to working together on solutions to the long-term challenges facing the football pyramid.
Right now, our priority is to continue to support all of our teams as they push for the strongest possible finish to the season.
In closing, I would like to recognise that it is your support which makes this club so great, and we thank you for that.
Equally cringey from John Henry, the American billionaires certainly know which side their bread is buttered on, I'm sure the angry sponsors had more than a little impact on the sudden U-turn.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote